Naturals....Your techinique for the "perfect" wash n' go

blackbarbie

O.K. so I know I can't claime to be natural yet, since I am still transitioning and have such a ways to go, but I am DYING to experiment this weekend with a wash and go. I have about 7 or 8 inches of NG and the rest is relaxed, but when I let my hair dry naturally, my roots are always frizzy and the end result never looks moisturized like some of the beautiful heads I see here. (mine just looks dry)

Can you share techniques, from start to finish? Suggestions for products, whether or not you completely air dry, use a diffuser, etc., how long you maintain the style, etc. Anything you think that would be helpful to achieve a semi-decent wash and go would be appreciated.

(BTW, although I know the relaxed portion of my hair won't curl naturally, I have some curl spray that does an excellent job of making the curls if I scrunch them the right way)

Thanks so much in advance!

BB

Blackbarbie your hair is like :blush: verry pretty!

I would also like to know this too!!! I actually have no idea where to start in terms of air drying. I am natural but always blow dry after washing to avoid tangles.

Come on natural air-drying experts!!!!! I wanna know :yep:

Blackbarbie your hair is like :blush: verry pretty!

I would also like to know this too!!! I actually have no idea where to start in terms of air drying. I am natural but always blow dry after washing to avoid tangles.

Come on natural air-drying experts!!!!! I wanna know :yep:

Thanks hon!
When you say you "blow dry" after washing, do you mean "blow dry" straight, or use the blow dryer to dry your curls?

Thanks!

BB

I wash......then Gooooooooooooooooooooooo

lol jus kidding. I dont know. Hoping on an answer

Oh, interesting.

I always assumed they REALLY washed and.... went. :lol:

I've never been able to pull one off, and I was comfy in believing that was because of my texture - but there's actually a TECHNIQUE??

Inttttteresting.

Last edited:
Natural that does a true wash & go. I go while it is still wet!

Wash(Preference is an Aveda Shampoo..Aubrey Organics Shampoos don't detangle well enough for me)
Comb Conditioner through hair while in shower (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose) Ring/twist out excess water
Finger Comb Leave-In (Giovanni Direct--My recommedation after 5 years of washing and going)

How fast does it dry? The more damage hair is the fastest it dries. I know when the hair is doing better because it will stay damp for 4-5 hours.

Just performed this routine at 5pm! Hair is slightly below shoulder length. Category probably a 4(something) that has always had curly hair!

I wash......then Gooooooooooooooooooooooo

lol jus kidding. I dont know. Hoping on an answer

Lucky you! I can't do that b/c the end result is that my hair would be looking like the Lion King.:grin: I just need to know the right products to use to "tame" this mane!

BB

Thanks hon!
When you say you "blow dry" after washing, do you mean "blow dry" straight, or use the blow dryer to dry your curls?

Thanks!

BB

Ur welcome ;-)

I blow dry with the Afro-pik attatchment on a cool-warm setting. My hair never gets straight, just wavy. I once tried to air dry by washing, conditioning, and adding ORS Olive oil and briading in 6 plaits. When it air dried in like 7 hours, I tried to finger comb and it was tangles EVERYWHERE :nono:

If I could just learn a new technique to air drying, I would like to dry 99% of the time :yep:

Natural that does a true wash & go. I go while it is still wet!

Wash(Preference is an Aveda Shampoo..Aubrey Organics Shampoos don't detangle well enough for me)
Comb Conditioner through hair while in shower (Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose) Ring/twist out excess water
Finger Comb Leave-In (Giovanni Direct--My recommedation after 5 years of washing and going)

How fast does it dry? The more damage hair is the fastest it dries. I know when the hair is doing better because it will stay damp for 4-5 hours.

Just performed this routine at 5pm! Hair is slightly below shoulder length. Category probably a 4(something) that has always had curly hair!

Good stuff! O.K. quick question for you: When you finger comb the Giovanni Direct through your hair, I suppose you are making sure to get the leave in on all the strands, root to tip, so as not to have the entire head/hair coated? Does the leave in work to keep down frizzies?

I can understand what you are saying about hair drying quickly and I agree, if it is damaged.

Is the Giovanni Direct purchased only in Beauty Salons?

Thanks for the response!!

BB

Oh, interesting.

I always assumed they REALLY washed and.... went. :lol:

I've never been able to pull one off, and I was comfy in believing that was because of my texture - but there's actually a TECHNIQUE??

Inttttteresting.

No for real girl! There's a real "technique". I just remembered that I had saved some info (from when I first joined the board) from a natural member that had posted her technique. I guess I saved it b/c I knew I would be natural one day and need to use it:grin:

BB

I purchase my Giovanni Direct (GD) from Whole Foods. However yesterday, a thread was on here that stated it is being sold at Target and a few drugstores now!

I apply the GD tip to end. It controls frizzes and everything. I use to do a routine where I would apply a Frizz control (Bedhead Control Freak), Paul Mitchell's (Foaming Pomade) and a leave-in (Paul Mitchell) but that was just too much product on the hair and it was drying. Less product is better for hair.

My co-worker using just Silk Elements Styling Foam on her hair after wash/conditioner.

Last edited:
If one has time, I would endorse the "shingling" method of apply the conditioner. However, if I use a comb to comb-in the conditioner--my hair becomes straight and won't "curl" as much.

If I use the shingling method, I will pull hair together to make a ponytail and then seperate with fingers---trying to out do the straighening effect of the comb.

If one has time, I would endorse the "shingling" method of apply the conditioner. However, if I use a comb to comb-in the conditioner--my hair becomes straight and won't "curl" as much.

If I use the shingling method, I will pull hair together to make a ponytail and then seperate with fingers---trying to out do the straighening effect of the comb.

See, I saw the "shingling" process on MissJessie's website and I just figured there just HAD to be a better way! I agree with you regarding your thoughts on a lot of product. I don't want my hair to feel sticky or crunchy and I'm sure a lot of product will do that.....

Thanks again!

BB

I am not natural, but I have curly hair (even though its relaxed) and my wash n go's come out pretty good. I'll wash one time during the week with Aveda DR and deep condition with whatever...The key to keeping my hair curly is to NOT towel dry or comb it out in the shower. After wash/conditon or cowashing, I just get out of the shower with rung out hair and apply a creamy leave in (Giovanni).

Then I'll use nice sized globs of Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer and some oil, coat the hair and scrunch it. I usually let it air dry over night in my bonnet. Spritz it with plain water in the morning to revive the smooshed curls, and go! Here's the link from my fotki, its old. http://public.fotki.com/clevegryl/2007-haircare/may-07---july-07/wash-n-go-experiment/wng3.html

I am not natural, but I have curly hair (even though its relaxed) and my wash n go's come out pretty good. I'll wash one time during the week with Aveda DR and deep condition with whatever...The key to keeping my hair curly is to NOT towel dry or comb it out in the shower. After wash/conditon or cowashing, I just get out of the shower with rung out hair and apply a creamy leave in (Giovanni).

Then I'll use nice sized globs of Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer and some oil, coat the hair and scrunch it. I usually let it air dry over night in my bonnet. Spritz it with plain water in the morning to revive the smooshed curls, and go! Here's the link from my fotki, its old. http://public.fotki.com/clevegryl/2007-haircare/may-07---july-07/wash-n-go-experiment/wng3.html

:blush::blush::blush: @ that pic in your fotki! OMG, I'm in love!!! That's absolutely beautiful and IT'S ON RELAXED HAIR??? So now you have me thinking that my semi-natural hair can't be that stupid not to curl if your RELAXED hair can curl:grin:

O.K. I have a few questions here. First of all, that Giovanni Direct must be the truth b/c I have heard it mentioned quite a bit. I have been on a "use it up" challenge and really wanted to try to use some stuff up under my cabinet, (but I do have that John Frieda Dream Curls though that you mentioned in your fotki!)

So when you say "don't towel dry or comb it out in the shower", what do you do? Do you detangle it with your fingers? Is the Aveda Be Curly a serum? Also, is your hair still kind of damp in the morning when you get up? How long does that wash and go last?

I know a million questions, but I have a bug up my butt and I am itching to do a wash and go this weekend:ohwell:

Thanks again!

BB

:blush::blush::blush: @ that pic in your fotki! OMG, I'm in love!!! That's absolutely beautiful and IT'S ON RELAXED HAIR??? So now you have me thinking that my semi-natural hair can't be that stupid not to curl if your RELAXED hair can curl:grin:

O.K. I have a few questions here. First of all, that Giovanni Direct must be the truth b/c I have heard it mentioned quite a bit. I have been on a "use it up" challenge and really wanted to try to use some stuff up under my cabinet, (but I do have that John Frieda Dream Curls though that you mentioned in your fotki!)

So when you say "don't towel dry or comb it out in the shower", what do you do? Do you detangle it with your fingers? Is the Aveda Be Curly a serum? Also, is your hair still kind of damp in the morning when you get up? How long does that wash and go last?

I know a million questions, but I have a bug up my butt and I am itching to do a wash and go this weekend:ohwell:

Thanks again!

BB
I should be trying to transition myself :nono:. I'm just trying to use up the Giovanni, its not my fave leave in. If you have another, use that instead! I don't detangle with a comb in the shower at all. Once I rinse out the conditioner I just let it hang how I want it to dry. It curls up better this way.

The Dream Curls spray is really good too!! That gave me really good results, you'll like it. The Be Curly is creamy, I just like to mix it with oil for moisture and shine...I seem to prefer creamy versus liquids. If my hair is still too damp before I go to bed, I use my diffuser. I've even baggied my whole head wet, so it looked like a juicy Jheri when I woke up :grin:. I end up cowashing every night I wear wash n go. So, I'll do the process every night before I go to bed.

I should be trying to transition myself :nono:. I'm just trying to use up the Giovanni, its not my fave leave in. If you have another, use that instead! I don't detangle with a comb in the shower at all. Once I rinse out the conditioner I just let it hang how I want it to dry. It curls up better this way.

The Dream Curls spray is really good too!! That gave me really good results, you'll like it. The Be Curly is creamy, I just like to mix it with oil for moisture and shine...I seem to prefer creamy versus liquids. If my hair is still too damp before I go to bed, I use my diffuser. I've even baggied my whole head wet, so it looked like a juicy Jheri when I woke up :grin:. I end up cowashing every night I wear wash n go. So, I'll do the process every night before I go to bed.

O.K. I got it, but I don't think I can go without detangling. I would probably seriously end up with a lot of hair in a comb somewhere when I eventually detangle.

What other creamy leave-ins are there - that are good? (I really don't need to be asking this question; I just probably need to go under my cabinet to "search" for something:grin:).

The John Frieda Dream Curls was what I was talking about in my original post that I would use to "manufacture" curls on the relaxed portion of my hair. You're right, it really does work!

BB

I do a CW or rinse my hair with water. I do not comb or detangle. Then I section my hair with my fingers. Next I put in some Cantu leave in to each section. I just scoop some out, rub it in my hands a little bit, and massage/scrunch it into my hair making sure that I don't disturb or comb out the curls. Then I put on a dab of Seyani butter or coconut oil and go.

I don't really have a technique persay. I wash my hair and then apply my leave in conditoner. Then I smooth the gel or pudding on with my fingers kind of raking it through. I let it drip dry. I can usually keep a wash and go for 2 or 3 days.

Last edited:
I do a CW or rinse my hair with water. I do not comb or detangle. Then I section my hair with my fingers. Next I put in some Cantu leave in to each section. I just scoop some out, rub it in my hands a little bit, and massage/scrunch it into my hair making sure that I don't disturb or comb out the curls. Then I put on a dab of Seyani butter or coconut oil and go.

O.K. you ladies have to tell me how you go about NOT detangling your hair? What's the aftermath like?:grin: I am just picturing me sitting in the middle of my bathroom floor crying with my hair/head in my hand if I tried that.

I have read a lot about making sure not to disturb the curl...O.K. I'm taking all this stuff in b/c I am definitely going to make another attempt at a wash and go this weekend!

Thanks!!

BB

I don't really have a technique persay. I wash my hair and then apply my leave in conditoner. Then I smooth the gel or pudding on with my fingers kind of raking it through. I let it drip dry. I can usually keep a wash and go for 2 or 3 days.
*Sucks teeth* I am soooo envious!! Just call me One day Wanda!

O.K. you ladies have to tell me how you go about NOT detangling your hair? What's the aftermath like?:grin: I am just picturing me sitting in the middle of my bathroom floor crying with my hair/head in my hand if I tried that.

I have read a lot about making sure not to disturb the curl...O.K. I'm taking all this stuff in b/c I am definitely going to make another attempt at a wash and go this weekend!

Thanks!!

BB

I don't detangle my hair. I just kind of run my fingers through it real quick. Or I'll rewet it. I don't really get tangles. Strangely I had more tangles as a relaxed head than as a natural. I couldn't go without detangling after each wash then. :nono:

What type of leave in do you use? Or do you have a rotation? Does it leave your hair pretty moisturized?

I would love to go for 2 or 3 days but I am afraid I may look busted after the first day though!

BB

I only detangle when I shampoo my hair after I apply my deep conditioner. As long as I do this at least once a week I don't have a problem with knots. I also use a kcutter comb to detangle and it makes things a lot easier. My wash and gos last about 2 days. I refresh my wash and go by spraying it with Carols Daughter Black Vanilla leave in and massage in some Hair Milk.

I'm probably not adding too much, but I just wash with whatever conditioner I am trying and then put giovanni direct in and go. I think the most important thing is to not touch it! The picture in my avatar is a wash and go with Retread from Lush. Awesome product!

Back