Naturals....Your techinique for the "perfect" wash n' go

Some of my favorite tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kpcmCJTzo8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1E083r3ngs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq0JZkZsvz4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDEZGVn2agE

For MY hair...the denman actually doesn't help to define my curls--it always tends to leave the roots straight (but manages to curl the ends). :ohwell:

I plan to try the rake and smooth method (or rather, the "curlisto" method) all over my whole head soon. I tested just a small section...and was very very pleased with the results! :yep:

What type of leave in do you use? Or do you have a rotation? Does it leave your hair pretty moisturized?

I would love to go for 2 or 3 days but I am afraid I may look busted after the first day though!

BB

I use whatever I have on hand. I've tried the Giovanni before but I wasn't impressed. I've also used Nexxus Humectress. I'm using the Herbal Essences LTR Leave In right now.

I use whatever I have on hand. I've tried the Giovanni before but I wasn't impressed. I've also used Nexxus Humectress. I'm using the Herbal Essences LTR Leave In right now.

Thanks; again, these are all names I've heard and recognize so that's a good thing. It seems that the general consensus is that creamy leave ins work better, huh?

BB

normally i cant do wash n gos with out looking a hot mess but just the other day i was in a rush and i just cowashed and added some infusium leave in. and put a scarf on and went. i thought my hair was a hot mess but when i came home it looked quite nice and had curls poppin! it wasnt as curly with gel but it was a whole lot better than the wash n go i have in my fotki

Thanks; again, these are all names I've heard and recognize so that's a good thing. It seems that the general consensus is that creamy leave ins work better, huh?

BB

At least for my hair yes. I know some naturals use spray on leave ins but they never did anything for my hair. I need a creamy leave in.

I wouldn't say I have perfect technique, but what I decide to do depends on the season.

In warmer months I wash (ORS shampoo and porosity control), condition (Dove conditioner), then squeeze out excess water (towel drying = frizzy hair), and put Garnier Fructis on my hair with a light oil.

In colder months I do the same thing, but I use a heavier leave in conditioner (ex. Cantu shea butter) and a heavier oil (castor oil).

Also, shaking my hair slightly upside down helps the curls form better (but I get dizzy easy and don't do that step often :look:).

O.K. you ladies have to tell me how you go about NOT detangling your hair? What's the aftermath like?:grin: I am just picturing me sitting in the middle of my bathroom floor crying with my hair/head in my hand if I tried that.

I have read a lot about making sure not to disturb the curl...O.K. I'm taking all this stuff in b/c I am definitely going to make another attempt at a wash and go this weekend!

Thanks!!

BB

I detangle my hair while washing (with a wide tooth comb) and conditioning (with a denman brush--the Conair version that is). So that after I do my final rinse I just squeeze out the water and try to smooth on my hair products without disturbing the curls. I find smoothing on in sections (ex. front right, front left, back right, back left) helps the products get more even distribution.

I am almost strictly wash and go-- most days my routine is Jason conditioner followed by Salerm leave in and Curly Custard. I detangle every time after putting the Salerm. I never detangle, comb through my hair or anything unless it is wet.

Lately!

I wash, condition (been using the Trader Joe’s), detangle with a Denman Brush, rinse, add Kinky Curly detanger/leave-in, then Kinky Curly Curling Custard (in sections). I then have been wearing my hair in a high bun to dry it (takes a looong time though—20 hours?). When I take it out it’s fairly stretched and bouncy.

My wash an gos are pretty simple. I cowash with whatever conditions suits my mood for that day. I spray some Elasta QP H2 leave in. Then I finish with some elasta Qp creme oil moisturizer. I throw on a head band and go...:grin:

My wng's are easy as well. After shampooing I just add whatever product I"m using (usually Beyond The Zone Noodlehead or some sort of creamy leave-in) and brush it through with my Denman brush or wide tooyh comb. I flip my head upside down and shake my hair so that the curls form better volume on the top and all over.

I'm probably not adding too much, but I just wash with whatever conditioner I am trying and then put giovanni direct in and go. I think the most important thing is to not touch it! The picture in my avatar is a wash and go with Retread from Lush. Awesome product!
Very pretty wash n' go!

I am forever tweaking my wng but my current routine is fairly simple: after cw'ing I spray my hair with scurl activator then scrunch in some FOTE Aloe Vera Gel and airdry. The surface of my hair dries in a few hours, the roots stay moist. The longer my hair grows the prettier the curls.

using a microfiber towel has helped out a lot!!! it dries hair quickly without all the frizz and it's supposed to prevent split ends...at least that's what the package says...

anyways, i co-wash then wrap my hair in microfiber towel till it's damp, rub in leave in (Nexxxus Headress) mixed with coconut oil, and apply a gel or mousse over that (JOICO Joiwhip Mousse is pretty good). i usually turn my head upside down and scrunch to get curl formation. then i "plunk" with my microfiber towel for 10 min. for those of you that don't know, "plunking" is a method of preserving your curl formation while they dry. you basically wrap your hair in a towel in an accordian matter (turn your head upside down and put your curls into the towel so that they remain scrunched). it works!

using a microfiber towel has helped out a lot!!! it dries hair quickly without all the frizz and it's supposed to prevent split ends...at least that's what the package says...

anyways, i co-wash then wrap my hair in microfiber towel till it's damp, rub in leave in (Nexxxus Headress) mixed with coconut oil, and apply a gel or mousse over that (JOICO Joiwhip Mousse is pretty good). i usually turn my head upside down and scrunch to get curl formation. then i "plunk" with my microfiber towel for 10 min. for those of you that don't know, "plunking" is a method of preserving your curl formation while they dry. you basically wrap your hair in a towel in an accordian matter (turn your head upside down and put your curls into the towel so that they remain scrunched). it works!

You mean plopping? I'vf been meaning to try that.

For my WNG's i CO-Wash with AOHR or Suave Naturals...then i apply Shea Moisture Leave-In to soaking/sopping wet hair in about three sections (this leave-in soaks up a lot of the water...how? i dunno)...then i add Herbal Essences body envy gel in about four sections...then a little coconut oil for some seal and shine.

I cannot run my fingers (or rake my products through my hair with my fingers) through my hair---it disrupts and breaks up curl formation and contributes to frizz----but once I'm done with Crown N Glory challenge....i will try the denman brush

OOOOO! I just did one now lol..WELL I usually drench my hair with water and conditioner and smooth out the tangles, etc. I then apply fantasia ic gell and beyond the zone noodle head. After that I just let it air dry and it looks even better after I sleep with it.

Back