NATURALS: Would/Did You Straighten Your Hair For Your Wedding?

Sunshine0801

Is it possible for someone who is natural to maintain flat ironed hair during a wedding or is it inevitable that the hair will begin to revert as soon as the bride even thinks about dancing at the reception?

Would/did you straighten your hair for YOUR wedding? Did your hair remain straight or did it revert? If you could do it all over again, would you still wear your hair straight for your wedding?

I wouldn't straighten my hair for my wedding becasue I really do feel more elegant and beautiful with my curly hair... I think it would be easier anyway... but yea my hair does start to revert when I've been dancin and sweatin... not to mention my bf prefers my natural hair

I think you should just do your hair however you feel most beautiful but also consider that you don't want to be worried about it all night

I'm less concerned about the wedding and more concerned about the honeymoon!:grin:
icon12.gif

The wedding is so many hours and photos but I got to live with my hair on the honeymoon so that will guide my decisions as to how I will style my hair for my wedding.

I have thought about zillions.... I'm leaning toward a wet/wavy weave that resembles my hair somewhat which I can wear up for the wedding and I can "keep it movin'" on the honeymoon....

I wouldn't straighten my hair for my wedding becasue I really do feel more elegant and beautiful with my curly hair... I think it would be easier anyway... but yea my hair does start to revert when I've been dancin and sweatin... not to mention my bf prefers my natural hair

I think you should just do your hair however you feel most beautiful but also consider that you don't want to be worried about it all night

Great points. I feel the most beautiful with my natural hair, especially when it is loose, but I want a different style for my wedding. I don't want to wear a fro, braidout, twistout, or any of the other natural styles I wear regularly because I want a style that is different from styles that I rock on a daily basis. I also want to show the length of my hair.

I haven't seen a natural style yet that I would like for my wedding that I can wear without fake hair. I saw a braided updo on this site once that was breathtaking, but I think my hair would have to be hip length stretched to wear it.

I'm getting married in May, God willingly, and I have natural 3c hair.

I'm a wiz with the CHI iron. Can't no body straighten my hair better than me but I don't think I'll be wearing my hair down or striaght on my wedding day. Choconillaprincess said it best. If you think your hair will "revert" then choose a style that you'll be comfortable with ALL day. I'm planning on a simple up do. I don't want any worries or hair faux pas.

I'm less concerned about the wedding and more concerned about the honeymoon!:grin:
icon12.gif

The wedding is so many hours and photos but I got to live with my hair on the honeymoon so that will guide my decisions as to how I will style my hair for my wedding.

I have thought about zillions.... I'm leaning toward a wet/wavy weave that resembles my hair somewhat which I can wear up for the wedding and I can "keep it movin'" on the honeymoon....

If I plan to get my hair wet on our honeymoon, then I will definitely wear it natural because I won't have any limitations on any of our activities. I don't mind wearing different styles for the wedding and honeymoon.

I'm getting married in May, God willingly, and I have natural 3c hair.

I'm a wiz with the CHI iron. Can't no body straighten my hair better than me but I don't think I'll be wearing my hair down or striaght on my wedding day. Choconillaprincess said it best. If you think your hair will "revert" then choose a style that you'll be comfortable with ALL day. I'm planning on a simple up do. I don't want any worries or hair faux pas.

My hair type is 4 a/b so my hair will probably revert at the first sign of sweat. The most comfortable style is a natural style, BUT I want to wear my hair down and in a style that is unlike styles that I normally wear. I think a rollerset might be another option, but even rollerset hair reverts...

I wore my hair straight at my wedding (it was outside with a temperature of about 75) and it didn't revert. I also had soft curls in my hair. My hair didn't revert, but the most of the curls fell by the end of day (but that's typical). I did it because I didn't want to take the chance of a bad natural hair day (which still happens too often for me to risk it). I would do it again if I had to because of the risk of always wishing I had straightened if I had a bad natural hair day (my pictures probably would've been messed up, I wouldn't have feel as pretty as I could, etc...).

I wore my hair straight at my wedding (it was outside with a temperature of about 75) and it didn't revert. I also had soft curls in my hair. My hair didn't revert, but the most of the curls fell by the end of day (but that's typical). I did it because I didn't want to take the chance of a bad natural hair day (which still happens too often for me to risk it). I would do it again if I had to because of the risk of always wishing I had straightened if I had a bad natural hair day (my pictures probably would've been messed up, I wouldn't have feel as pretty as I could, etc...).

How were you able to prevent your hair from reverting?

I feel you on not wanting to risk having a bad natural hair day. For some strange reason, some of my cutest natural styles don't show up so cute in pictures.

I'm not limiting myself...Natural hair is so versatile, I can do anything w/it.

I wouldn't mind rocking my natural hair...but if I fall in love with a style that requires me to straighten my hair, I will:spinning:

I had my hair straightened how I always straighten it. I use Murray's Creme Beeswax and the Maxiglide on 8. Then I had my hair blow dried, but now I air dry before I flat iron my hair (it works just as well). My hair only reverts in humidity and my roots will start to revert if I sweat a lot. Other than that reverting is usually not an issue for me. Also if you want to see a pic of how it turned out, I have one in my "2007" folder in the "Straight Hair" album in my fotki.

How were you able to prevent your hair from reverting?

I feel you on not wanting to risk having a bad natural hair day. For some strange reason, some of my cutest natural styles don't show up so cute in pictures.

Well let me say, i straigtened my hair for my friends wedding, i was a bridesmaid....it did great used my chi, but by the end of the service it was poofy! But only because it was in New Orleans, La in Early August....it was 100 degrees outside and 110 degrees in the unairconditioned church!!!!:drunk:.......but i'd wore my hair straight half the summer in maryland with no problem so i know it was because of the weather.....so it depends on where the wedding is held and what the weather is like....also if i was able to get an appointment with my hairstylist i'm sure it would have lasted longer

I will not be straightening my hair for my wedding. Whenever that happens. lol
I will probably wear a very elegant updo. I look really good with my hair off my face...I mean I look good w/ it out too. But I look elegant and extremely classy when I do my updo's. Now, depending on the length of my hair at the time..I might add some extensions w/ the kinky hair in order to fill out certain parts of my updo especially if I have a crown like veil. But, it will definitely look like it's my hair. And I don't even know if I will go that far. But, nappy hair all the way.

I was transitioning so i ended up straightening my hair. I use Got2b products (creme straightener and a serum) and used a Goldnhot ceramic flat iron to straighten. It didn't revert at all so i was glad about that. BUT had I known then what I know now, i would have bc'd right before the wedding and just did some twists and pinned them up. I think it would have looked cuter but what's done is done.

Well let me say, i straigtened my hair for my friends wedding, i was a bridesmaid....it did great used my chi, but by the end of the service it was poofy! But only because it was in New Orleans, La in Early August....it was 100 degrees outside and 110 degrees in the unairconditioned church!!!!:drunk:.......but i'd wore my hair straight half the summer in maryland with no problem so i know it was because of the weather.....so it depends on where the wedding is held and what the weather is like....also if i was able to get an appointment with my hairstylist i'm sure it would have lasted longer

I totally agree with you! The weather can my best friend or worst enemy! If my hair senses one drop of moisture in the atmosphere it curls up! :blush: The thought of it make me nervous! :nervous2:

Nothing short of a relaxer would change that for me....(And that aint gonna happen!

When I was natural, I got my hair pressed and curled at the salon for a Christmas party. I danced, danced, danced and my hair lasted for 2 weeks.

Texlaxed, I use CHI products and flat iron myself. Stays for 2 weeks.

Spiral curls sound nice for a wedding and for a natural.

I had my hair straightened how I always straighten it. I use Murray's Creme Beeswax and the Maxiglide on 8. Then I had my hair blow dried, but now I air dry before I flat iron my hair (it works just as well). My hair only reverts in humidity and my roots will start to revert if I sweat a lot. Other than that reverting is usually not an issue for me. Also if you want to see a pic of how it turned out, I have one in my "2007" folder in the "Straight Hair" album in my fotki.

Wow, your hair looks very pretty in the pic. You did a great job!

Thanks for the flatironing instructions! :)

For m\y wedding...whenever it is I plan to have a big curly braid out. For the honeymoon I plan on having small cornrows. I like my big curly hair better than my straight hair so I'm all about it being big. :grin:

i wouldn't straighten. i plan to straighten in the future and have no problem with other naturals doing so. however, i don't have it in my mind that straight hair is "best" for special occasions; it would be just another styling option for me.

i don't think that i need to straighten in order to have a beautiful and sophisticated hair style for my wedding. by the time i'm married, my hair will be pretty long. i look forward to wearing it in maybe an apl-bsl length twist-out/braid-out or even an updo...or something else equally gorgeous :).

I am leaning more towards wearing it nataural
just because i think the flowing curls would look really
elegant and pretty

I was just wondering about this question and I was going to post this topic! My SO just told me that I loves my poofy hair and doesn't like it when I straighten it. So I'm like....er if we ever get married how would I style it?

I'll probably straighten it. Like one of the other ladies said I'm much more prone to have a bad hair day with my natural hair then my natural hair straightened. I'm not worried about the weather reverting it since I'm either having a MI or NY wedding.

As of now, I most definitely don't plan on straightening it. I don't mind straight hair, but for my wedding, I want to wear it in it's natural state. :yep:

i don't think that i need to straighten in order to have a beautiful and sophisticated hair style for my wedding.

I totally agree. :yep: There are many beautiful natural wedding styles...I just haven't found one that I would like for my wedding yet. Well, actually I have, but my hair would probably have to be hip length to wear it, and I'm not quite there yet.

But I don't think considering straight hair for a wedding necessarily means someone doesn't value natural hair as being beautiful enough to wear it on one of the biggest days of their life. Like I said earlier, I prefer my hair loose, and braidouts, twistouts, etc. are styles that I wear regularly, and I want something different for my wedding.

Back