Naturals who work out...what's your usual hairstyle these days?

zzirvingj

For those naturals who workout on a regular basis in the gym, how have you been wearing your hair these days?

Straightened? Twists? Bun? Twistout?

Does your hair hold up okay for you considering how much you're in the gym?

I've been wearing braid outs and depending on the intensity of my workout they hold up pretty well. At the gym I try not to sweat too hard because when I work out at home my hair literally falls over from all the perspiration and body heat, then shrinks to a twa lol.

When my hair is loose (not in weave/braids) I either flat twist or cornrow into a low bun.... I love this b/c I can wear the bun all week and co wash between workouts if I please....then come the weekend or whatever day I choose to go out I have a bomb twist out or braidout.

I wear twists and pin them up. It holds up pretty well.

I can't handle having a scarf on my head while working out; it makes me hotter & sweatier. Lol.

im wearin a half wig now..i sweat like a pig so i jus take off the wig,pin up my cornrows and workout..once done, i co wash the sweat out and let dry

Last edited:
here is an example.....

workouthair.jpg

I workout hard and I just swoop my hair in a ponytail. A wash-n-go kind of look. I've also been experimenting with co-washing and I like this alot since I sweat so bad. 45 minutes of spin class is no joke!

I wear twists. I've had mine in 2 weeks. I think if I wore any other styles, I'd be too concerned about saving my hair and wouldn't want to sweat and get a good workout.

I wear twists and then throw them in a pony/pig tails or bun(s) my bangs always manage to come out though. I'm not that adept with hairpins.

I wear twists or sometimes plaits depending on how my hair is styled.. and always up in a bun.. or in two buns like a kid :) it holds up really well.

for long stretches i'm trying to cornrow the front half and twist the back half, putting the twists in a low pony. i'm noticing that in general, when i wear ponytails with loose hair, i'm getting terrible split ends. i need less manipulation.

I find that twists are the most efficient for me. I can wash them easily after swimming, they fit well under my bike helmet and they dry faster.

Twists under a silk scarf, under a cotton scarf! LOL! I can rinse my twists when I am done and undo to wear a twist out or fro! But, at the present time I do not wear my hair out too much.

I workout regularly (3-4 times a week) and I work up a good sweat. I wear braidouts, and you'd never know I worked out that much. While I'm in the gym, I just pull my hair up in a scrunchie. Once I get home after the workout, I apply a little oil and rebraid my braidout into about 7-8 loose braids, to kind of re-stretch it a bit, after a couple hours (or overnight) it looks just like new.

Last edited:
Great thread! i work out 4-5 nights a week at the gym, of which 4 of those are cardio classes. I find that I sweat in my head now that I'm older (35) and twists are one of the best styles that allows me not to worry constantly about restyling my hair. Twistouts work out ok as well, but don't last as long as my twists do.

I'm experimenting with sew-ins now (natural texture) so that I can try another style and my hair still look good after working out. That way if I need to wash/cowash my hair, the style will stay because it's a textured weave. Next time I re-do it though, I will not leave out the horseshoe (top of head) hair as it's very cottony and puffs up after I work out. I'll just try to leave out a 'thin' outer edge so I can pull my hair into a ponytail/bun.

Wash-n-Go, twist, & buns. I use those scrunchie headbands to hold my hair back. I sweat a lot and have no problems with my styles. The only thing that doesn't hold up is straight styles of course.

it's usually in a twistout and nothing happens to it really. when it was longer, i'd pull it up into a puff, but now i just let it be and it looks the same after i'm done.
when it's straight, i used to make a high bun, but now that i have a short bob...i either wrap it and put a bandana on OR leave it hanging free. did that yesterday, and it stayed straight even with my intense elliptical hill workout!! :grin:
i guess i don't really sweat in my scalp, or maybe those fantasia serums really do work.

I only work out during the week, so I would wear my hair in a bun or ponytail and do my hair for the weekend if I have anything planned.

Back