Naturals who wear braid and twist extensions...

glamazon386

How do you keep your hair looking neat? When I first did it, it looked nice and neat. Then last week it started looking fuzzy so I re-twisted the ones around the front so it would look better and now this week I'm back to the same thing. I've been covering it at night but it just seems like every time i turn around I see my hair sticking out of the twists. It's really noticeable especially where the color is so I've been wearing headbands and scarves around the front. I had the same problem last time I got Senegalese twists at the salon and ended up taking them out after 3 weeks. Also, I've only washed them once. I plan to wash them again tomorrow since that'll make two weeks. I think my hair is just growing out of these twists too fast. Has anybody else ever had this problem?

Im a self braider before i even use the extensions i go all over my head and part and braid (the size i want) about a 1/4 of the way down then i wrap the weave around and braid. i like it this way bc with all the growth aids that i use my hair grows a bit faster so after a week or so they get loose. so when the hair starts growing u still see a braid and not just new growth. Sometimes i braid my hair wet with a lil ic polisher gel at the very top so i dont see strays. hth

I have this issue too. But I chalk it up to my hair being well moisturized while intertwined with the extensions. At night, I put on a plastic cap, and then tie a scarf on top.

I'm a self braider also, so if they start to look too fuzzy, I take them out and just do it again.

Do you keep your hair wrapped in the shower? I found out that for me when I would hop in shower without my hair covered my braids would start to look fuzzy a lot faster than when I was relaxed and transitioning. Are the braids still secure at the base or are there just little strands poking out? Braid slippage could be the problem. I'm experimenting with attaching the hair differently. Now that I'm natural, it seems like the extension hair slips more than when I was relaxed or at least it's more noticeable now because the hair curls up.

Do you keep your hair wrapped in the shower? I found out that for me when I would hop in shower without my hair covered my braids would start to look fuzzy a lot faster than when I was relaxed and transitioning. Are the braids still secure at the base or are there just little strands poking out? Braid slippage could be the problem. I'm experimenting with attaching the hair differently. Now that I'm natural, it seems like the extension hair slips more than when I was relaxed or at least it's more noticeable now because the hair curls up.

That sounds exactly like what I'm seeing. I thought they might have been slipping because there is some space like there's new growth but when I pull on them they won't budge. You know what? I think you're right. The shower might be what's making them fuzzy so quick. I generally don't cover my hair when I get in the shower at all now that I'm natural. They looked perfectly smooth with the gel when I first did them. But now my hair looks fuzzy and puffy. It might be the steam from the shower. In some spots I can see little curls sticking out the side of the braid and they weren't there before. Thanks!

I'm experiencing the same problem with my two-week old corn rows. They got noticeably frizzy within one week, and I haven't even washed them yet. That's why I'm taking them out today. I bought a wig yesterday, so I guess this is Plan C for me. :( I did have mine tied up in the shower always with a plastic bag on top of that.

tyte curlz, the braids don't slip out easily with that method?

I'm natural and keep braids/twists in my hair. I know they frizz if they're dry, so I combat this by keeping my hair moisturized/greased (non petroleum/mineral oil) or leavein conditioner. As long as you keep SOMETHING good in it...

I'm natural and keep braids/twists in my hair. I know they frizz if they're dry, so I combat this by keeping my hair moisturized/greased (non petroleum/mineral oil) or leavein conditioner. As long as you keep SOMETHING good in it...

But my hair doesn't feel or look dry. I don't get it.

How do you keep your hair looking neat? When I first did it, it looked nice and neat. Then last week it started looking fuzzy so I re-twisted the ones around the front so it would look better and now this week I'm back to the same thing. I've been covering it at night but it just seems like every time i turn around I see my hair sticking out of the twists. It's really noticeable especially where the color is so I've been wearing headbands and scarves around the front. I had the same problem last time I got Senegalese twists at the salon and ended up taking them out after 3 weeks. Also, I've only washed them once. I plan to wash them again tomorrow since that'll make two weeks. I think my hair is just growing out of these twists too fast. Has anybody else ever had this problem?
This is why I don't get the senegalese twists anymore. I had them when I was transitioning but I do my own kinky twists now. They blend in better with my hair and I keep them in for about six weeks with no problems. I just redo the perimeter and shampoo/condition as I normally do.

She might have a point with that grease/moisturizer thing. I didn't moisturize mine the first week. Oops.

Back