Naturals who twistout, braidout, whateverout... How Often??? What products?

When you do these types of sets:
How often do you do your braidouts? I was reading some people do it every night...
How do you sleep on them?
What products do you use for what purpose (ie. shine, hold, moisture, etc.)

I do mine twice a week, and usually my hair completely dry when I take them down. I sleep with mine in a cap. I braid/twist them when wet with butters and detangler, let them dry for the rest of the day, and then while I sleep, then when I wake up I finger them with oils or a serum for moisture and style.
:grin:

I do twistouts every two weeks. What I use varies according to the season. During the cooler months, I spray my hair w/ JC Leave-In & apply JC Hair Nourishing Cream. Then I apply some JC Hair Cream and KBB Hair Oil on the ends.

During the warmer months, I spray my hair w/ a mixture of water, JC Condition and Sculpt (new to my mixture), coconut oil, castor oil, and honey.

Then I roll them with my perm rods, put on my satin bonnet, and go to sleep.

After day one, I put the satin bonnet on over the twistout. The next day, I fluff out the twistout and go (the JC Condition and Sculpt really helps w/ hold.)

Oh, I also apply a light bit of oil on my hands before unraveling my twists. It really cuts down on tangles.

I cornrow or flat twist my hair every night really unless I'm being lazy. And if I'm being lazy I put it in a loose ponytail or in my satin bonnet. I switch up products depending on the day. But I love oyin products. I combine burnt sugar with shine and define and that's usually enough. I sometimes just spray with water each night to refresh them. I use kbb stuff as well like the cream combined with the milk or the nectar. I usually use the oyin for twistouts the kbb for braidouts. And other stuff in between depending on what I'm doing.

How often do you do your braidouts?

I was reading some people do it every night...:look: i am one of those ppl.. But i am working on a system in which i pin the hair back to just keep it stretched. My hair likes to shrink up within an inch of its life and that ruins my plans for big hair. I really dont do them for the texture, but to keep my hair stretched. I normally use it to make a REALLY big afro lol

How do you sleep on them?
I just make 5-8 big braids, put the scarf on and i am good

What products do you use for what purpose (ie. shine, hold, moisture, etc.)

I like to do them on dry hair, but what i usually put on is a little Mango Butter, some Oils, and a light spray of my Dove moisturizer that has water and conditioner shaken in it.

I flat twist my hair every night and when i wake up, I spray with water, slap some kbb hair milk, an oil and i am out of the door :)

I've been doing them once a week with some Qhemet BRBC and Olive and Honey Balm, and then to maintain I put them in 5 or 6 big twists and then bantu knot those.

Tonight I'm gonna re-do them but add EcoStyler into the mix for a little bit more hold... although its been a week so I'm not too upset.

I do bantu knot-outs once per week. I use neutrogena triple moisture leave in and mango butter. At night i just put on my satin bonnet and sleep on it. In the morning I use some more leave in, fluff it up, and go.

I put them in every night. I usually do them on damp hair because I co-wash after working out in the afternoons/evenings. But if I do not work out, then I start with dry hair - lightly spritz with a mixture of water and Fantasia IC leave in moisturizer. Then I use Asha's Mane Attraction. If I'm out of that, I use shea butter mixed with coconut oil.

I put them in like this:

DSCF3233.jpg

DSCF3234.jpg

DSCF3235.jpg

DSCF3236.jpg

I often sweat in my sleep at night. My hair already shrinks a lot, anyway. I don't wear wash n' gos because I don't have a curl pattern in some places, so this is what I go with. These result in the twist out in my siggy.

After wearing my hair out loose for 2-3 days, I twist on dry hair, no combing, brushing. Just smooth a little product on it and do large twists, about 10-12. Twist with Devacurl Set it Free with either Afroveda Curly Pudding or Curl Junkie Honey Butta leave in on ends, or just the ACP or CJHB. The trick is not to get the hair too damp. I do this every night for 2-4 nights, until I wash my hair again. It takes 10 minutes tops, gives me great twists outs. But is not a twist you would wear outside. Here's my dry twist/twistout album

I do twist outs on my hair once a week on wet, freshly cowashed hair. I have a twa, so it's short, small twists all over. I apply Cantu Shea Butter Leave In to my hair, followed by vegetable glycerin and some olive oil. I then twist with my Long Aid activator gel, and let it dry. It turns out really cute. Each night, I'll retwist in bigger, chunkier twists with a shea butter/ coconut oil mix. My hair in my siggy is from a three day old twist out. HTH!

I do my braidouts/twistouts on wet hair once a week. I use my shea butter/olive oil/coconut oil blend and Fantasia IC gel. The style usually lasts me 5-7 days. At night I grab sections and put into about 5-6 big twists and cover with a satin bonnet to preserve the style.

ETA: The pic in my siggy is a 5 day old braidout.

I put them in every night. I usually do them on damp hair because I co-wash after working out in the afternoons/evenings. But if I do not work out, then I start with dry hair - lightly spritz with a mixture of water and Fantasia IC leave in moisturizer. Then I use Asha's Mane Attraction. If I'm out of that, I use shea butter mixed with coconut oil.

I put them in like this:

I often sweat in my sleep at night. My hair already shrinks a lot, anyway. I don't wear wash n' gos because I don't have a curl pattern in some places, so this is what I go with. These result in the twist out in my siggy.

wow the results are so pretty! I must try this :)

I do mine every night. I just spritz with water and essential oils, and use castor oil or whipped mango butter with castor oil, on the ends.I use a silk scarf. If it's wash day, I use Paul Mitchell leave-in and castor oil to seal then plait.hth

Last edited:
I used to redo mine everynight - but I decided it was too much manipulation, and when I got lazy my braids would be all over the place.

I spray my hair with diluted conditioner - Suave tropical coconut or a V05 Moisture Milk - it softens my hair, being damp means it holds the pattern better, but it isn't wet enough to shrink up much.

I've used Tresemme Touchable Curl milk, but I don't like gel for braid outs. The conditioner gives it enough hold IMO. I seal each section with coconut/olive oil.

At night I tie my hair in a satin scarf "rooster/pineapple" and in the morning spritz with my moisture spray, then fluff it with oil coated fingers. The styles lasts 4-5 days.

When you do these types of sets:
How often do you do your braidouts? I do them for special occasions. Maybe 1/mth. I prefer twist-outs though.

How do you sleep on them? Sometimes I'll do big braids on my twist-outs to hold them. Or if I'm really tired, I'll just tie my hair down and tuck the ends under the scard and off to lala land I go...

What products do you use for what purpose (ie. shine, hold, moisture, etc.) I don't use anything different than when I twist and don't twist-out. I apply my shea butter mixture on damp hair and curl the ends with my rollers. I might apply some serum ir I remember but I don't need anymore prods. If it feels dry on the following days, I'll apply more shea butter or spritz the hair before I braid the hair at night...

Which way are you braiding the front? I usually part in the middle and I'm really getting tired of it...

I do mine twice a week, and usually my hair completely dry when I take them down. I sleep with mine in a cap. I braid/twist them when wet with butters and detangler, let them dry for the rest of the day, and then while I sleep, then when I wake up I finger them with oils or a serum for moisture and style.
:grin:[/QUOTE]

I cowash, apply leave-in, seal with coconut oil, and do 5 big flat twists. In the AM I unravel, fluff and go. At night, I just retwist. I get about 3-4 days out of this style, but I bet I could go longer (and probably need to in order to cut down on manipulation).

Pictures are in my fotki...latest album.

I wanted to add that since I braid ever night, when I get lazy I just cover my head with a scarf at night. I wake in the morning and if I cant get 2nd day hair i do a cute bun. hth

I'm relaxed and when I'm wearing twistouts, I re-twist each night.

I usually use some creamy water-based moisturizer (usually just regular ol V05 or suave) and a little mousse. Sometimes I'll use a spray leave-in like Dove Moisture Mist.

I don't like to seal because I like a big, fluffy result.

Here's a link to some pics:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=397546

I am really starting to enjoy my twists and twists outs particularly since I found a way to combat the shrinkage.

I use my on concoction, I am not sure where I found the recipe. It is something I made like KCCC or Miss Jessies. Did not like using it for curl definition but it is really great with holding twist and twistouts together.

I braid in sections each night and then depending on how I feel in the morning I will take them down on put them in a bun. It is the best of both worlds. so I still get to protect my ends.

I mainly wear twistouts because it's easier and less time consuming for me than braidouts. But anyway, when I wear twistouts, I retwist my hair in anywhere from 6-12 sections on most nights. I either bantu-knot the twist or wrap the twist around a flexirod or gather all the twists into a loose bun.

On the few nights that I do not retwist, I'll pile all my hair on top of my head and put it in a loose ponytail (looks like a pineapple on top of my head), or I'll just try to "sleep pretty" with my hair out.

For products, Aussie Moist Conditioner used to be my staple for even dry twistouts. But afterawhile, I started noticing tiny balls of buildup throughout my hair strands. Now, I've been using Softee grease or Ultra Sheen grease for retwisting at night. Sursprisingly, I do not get buildup in my hair from using grease. It gives my hair shine and softness.

Also, I prefer setting my twistouts on dry hair rather than wet hair to avoid shrinkage and to achieve more volume.

@Cassandra1975: thank you so much for the pictures. I was trying to figure out how to cornrow my hair for this Saturday. I like the way yours came out so I'm going to try it that way after I henna it. I'll post pics this weekend if it's not too crazy looking!!! Thanks again!

Back