Naturals who straighten, question about ends

keepithealthy

I am wearing my hair sraight for a while to give a rest from co-washing and having to walk out with a wet head. So I straightened my hair and have been pin curling it. I love it! It looks really nice even though it's short.

I am noticing that some of my ends are looking kinda dry. How do you ladies keep your ends moisturized while straight without the hair revering? Thanks :D

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil:yep:, its known as a moisturizing oil, it'll absorb into your strands like a liquid would and its super light. Its my go to for dry straghtened hair:love2:. I have the GNC brand.

It depends on what products you use.

Sometimes I use melted shea butter with oil. That does not revert but makes my ends heavy.

If I used commercial moisturizers I part my hair into two sections (pigtails) use a dime sized amount of moisturizer (Garnier Fructis) with about two squirts of oil. I rub them (the moisturizer and oil) together first then apply to my ends on each pigtail. As soon as I am done I wrap my hair up immediately so that it will dry straight/lay flat under the scarf. It works for me.

I put a small amount of coconut oil on my ends every other day or every day as needed when I'm wearing it straight.

I don't use much and it never weighs my hair down.

ETA: I buy the Extra virgin Coconut oil from my local farmer's market. It's way cheaper and it does the same job. But I have used Spectrum brand in the past.

Thanks for asking this.
I straightened yesterday after an Aphogee 2-step protein and an ayurvedic moisturizing dc. I slept with bantu knots last night and applied some AfroVeda Hibiscus Hair Oil to the last 1-2".
I might rollerset tonight.

I also want to keep this straight look for 1-2 weeks.

My ends love the aphogee gloss therapy.

eta-ooops did not read. LOL Im relaxed

Last edited:
when my hair is straight, I apply coconut oil to ends every-other day at night. In the morning, my ends feel moisturized and not heavy/greasy.

I moisturize 2 or 3 times each day with coconut oil, and it doesn't make my hair feel greasy and it doesn't revert. Actually, it seems to make a flatiron last longer!

Look like coconut oil is where it's at ladies. Thanks
mtmorg I'm going to try and make this last for at least two weeks as well.
Thanks again ladies

Try John Freida secret weapon- flawless finishing creme. I apply it to my ends if they're looking somewhat parched

i literally JUST bought some of this yesterday. i rollerset my hair a few days ago and i was looking for something that said apply to dry hair in hopes that it wouldn't revert my hair. this stuff is amazing. i took my bun down this morning after having applied secret weapon to my hair yesterday and sealed it with a little coconut oil and my hair was sooo soft. definitely a new staple.

i literally JUST bought some of this yesterday. i rollerset my hair a few days ago and i was looking for something that said apply to dry hair in hopes that it wouldn't revert my hair. this stuff is amazing. i took my bun down this morning after having applied secret weapon to my hair yesterday and sealed it with a little coconut oil and my hair was sooo soft. definitely a new staple.

Yeah, the stuff's amazing isn't it? Even my brother loves it! He uses it for his beard. He actually just moved out a couple days ago and was kinda shy to ask to take it with him :lachen:. It was cute how he tip-toed around it. Anyways, I just pushed it on him- told him I know where to find it, it's under $10 and plus I just gave away my flat-iron, so I won't be needing it anytime soon.

You hear that OP? Try it!

EVCO is a dream (but of course everyone has told you that already :smile:) I also like to use Crisco (just a little on the ends before I pincurl) and I'm going to experiment with Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Conditioner; I use it to moisturize my hair in it's kinky state, and I love it! Maybe I'll mix it with EVCO and see how that works!

It depends on what products you use.

Sometimes I use melted shea butter with oil. That does not revert but makes my ends heavy.

If I used commercial moisturizers I part my hair into two sections (pigtails) use a dime sized amount of moisturizer (Garnier Fructis) with about two squirts of oil. I rub them (the moisturizer and oil) together first then apply to my ends on each pigtail. As soon as I am done I wrap my hair up immediately so that it will dry straight/lay flat under the scarf. It works for me.
:lachen::lachen: Girl you are a long way from pigtails.. You definetly can say pony.

You hair is gorgeous and I love the color .

I put a small amount of coconut oil on my ends every other day or every day as needed when I'm wearing it straight.

I don't use much and it never weighs my hair down.

ETA: I buy the Extra virgin Coconut oil from my local farmer's market. It's way cheaper and it does the same job. But I have used Spectrum brand in the past.

cosigning with the coconut oil or Elasta QP Mango butter

Coconut oil on the ends. If I'm wearing a straightened curly style, I'll even mix EVOO with the coconut oil (not so worried about my hair being weighed down if I have the curls in place...but if straight I use just coconut oil).

Back