Naturals who have texturized?

saqqara

Will a texturizer on short natural hair give me truly low maintenance, wash and go hair?

I ask because I have mild arthritis in my fingers so I can't put my hair in a bunch of tiny twists or braids, I don't want to be dependent on a hairdresser, I don't want it bone straight again and I don't want locs.

I don't plait my twa at night so I wake up with it shrunken and flat to my head. I can comb and brush so that's all I can do to my 4a/b hair and with it natural, that's not enough.:(

You hair is still going to be flat in the morning. I don't think a texturized style is low maintainence because you still have to spritz and put sometype of moisturizer on it in the morning.

The only style that is truly low maitainence to me is a buzz cut. Wash, brush and go.

Putting product in isn't a problem. It's having hair that doesn't need to be plaited, twisted or braided that I want.

saqqara said:
Putting product in isn't a problem. It's having hair that doesn't need to be plaited, twisted or braided that I want.

I feel you girl. Thank God for my thick hair but it is truly a job. I'm going for a texturizer consult tomorrow at Louis Licari salon in NYC. The stylist is the guy that wrote "Hair Rules." Review to follow...

caligirl said:
I feel you girl. Thank God for my thick hair but it is truly a job. I'm going for a texturizer consult tomorrow at Louis Licari salon in NYC. The stylist is the guy that wrote "Hair Rules." Review to follow...

Lemme know what you think? When Anthony texturizers he leaves it more on the kinky side. At the time when I went to him I wanted my hair more on the curly side. Eventually I grew my hair out and discovered my hair a mix of 3c/4a (more 4) with the right product was more on the curly side.

Anthony does great relaxers, color, and cuts! He's really into healthy hair of all textures.

Keep us posted!:)

ThickHair said:
You hair is still going to be flat in the morning. I don't think a texturized style is low maintainence because you still have to spritz and put sometype of moisturizer on it in the morning.

The only style that is truly low maitainence to me is a buzz cut. Wash, brush and go.

I agree I had one when I first went natural and it made my hair more dryer and harder and yes you still have to do all that good stuff to it, But I guess it all depends on which product you use or who does it.

Good Luck!

saqqara said:
Then you are going to have to keep your hair really short to have a no muss no fuss do.

Do those of you who have 1-2 inches of texturized hair have wash and go hair or do you still have to braid/twist it at night?

saqqara said:
Do those of you who have 1-2 inches of texturized hair have wash and go hair or do you still have to braid/twist it at night?

when mine was still that short and i first texturized, it was truly wash and go... really easy when you conditioner wash or moisturize daily ... but i never plaited or twisted it at night and it was just a bunch of curls all the time...

If your twa is shrunken and flat in the morning mist it with a water based spray or con-wash in the shower to wake it up. You would have to do the same thing with a texturizer. Also if your hair is truly 4A/B where the 4B is will not turn into curls no matter what chemical you put on it, unless you do a jherri curl.

saqqara said:
Will a texturizer on short natural hair give me truly low maintenance, wash and go hair?

I ask because I have mild arthritis in my fingers so I can't put my hair in a bunch of tiny twists or braids, I don't want to be dependent on a hairdresser, I don't want it bone straight again and I don't want locs.

I don't plait my twa at night so I wake up with it shrunken and flat to my head. I can comb and brush so that's all I can do to my 4a/b hair and with it natural, that's not enough.:(

A texturizer won't necessarily give u wash n go hair. If U have no curl definition, a texturizer won't give u one. It just softens the hair texture u already have. Also, if the texturizer is left on too long, you will have strait ends.:ohwell: I hope everything goes well for you.

I'm texturized. And no. I don't have wash and go hair. It still requires product and time and style ideas are still hard for me. In most places, my hair is about 5 inches long. In the morning if I don't sleep with a scarf -I resemble the heat miser.

I don't have a problem glopping product in my hair (if I say this one more time I'm going to scream :D) I just want hair that doesn't require twisting or braiding. I'm not a newbie, I've been natural for a couple of years and I already have products that work for me, I just hate having to depend on others to do my hair. I'm tired of this routine and looking for simplicity.

Maybe a texturizer will loosen my texture into curls, maybe it won't but if I can keep at least 2 inches and get wash and go hair, that will be an improvement.

Thanks littleaudie and SqrpioQutie and caligirl for understanding my frustration.

I think the key here is that you are planning on keeping your hair short, at least two inches (correct me if I'm wrong). If you keep it short you will almost always have a "fresh" texturizer if you know what I mean, because you will always be cutting it to keep it short. So it should always look nice and be easier for you to care for. With a texturizer you will not have to braid or twist. I was texturized for a minute and found the hair actually didn't like being braided or twisted because that will actually give your hair more of a relaxed look compared to a natural or texturized look.

I think some people aren't being helpful to you because so many of us have not found success with texturized hair but I think most of us are trying to grow our hair out and it's just so hard get the texturizer "just right." But your primary goal is short, easy hair, and with arthiritus you really can't do the braids and twists which really are the best styling "tools" for natural hair. So, you need an alternative. The only other issue I see though is that if you keep it short and frequently need a texturizer, will you still be dependent on someone else to do your hair? I know you said you didn't want to be dependent on someone else. Can you keep your hair short and texturize it yourself or will you need to go to a salon? I ask because if you keep your hair short, your new growth will become evident very quickly if your hair grows quickly and even though people may not "see" the difference, you will definately "feel" the difference.

I also found that texturized hair just was much weaker than natural hair. For my hair I felt it either needed to be fully relaxed or natural but again that was my hair, and I don't have arthritis and honestly if I could not braid or twist I probably would be looking for an alternative as well because when you have hair that shrinks like ours does you will feel trapped. I wish you the best and hope you find a solution that works for you.

saqqara said:
I don't have a problem glopping product in my hair (if I say this one more time I'm going to scream :D) I just want hair that doesn't require twisting or braiding. I'm not a newbie, I've been natural for a couple of years and I already have products that work for me, I just hate having to depend on others to do my hair. I'm tired of this routine and looking for simplicity.

Maybe a texturizer will loosen my texture into curls, maybe it won't but if I can keep at least 2 inches and get wash and go hair, that will be an improvement.

Thanks littleaudie and SqrpioQutie and caligirl for understanding my frustration.

Sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for, but if you want to texturize then texturize, I think that people was asking about the products because you said you wanted wash n go hair, I understand that you are frustrated and you are not new and have been natural for a long time and want easier maintence for your hair. I have a twa and I do not twist or plait my hair at all I just spritz it in the am add my product and go.

But if you do texturize I have heard that some people add conditioner to it to make the chemical weaker but this is just what I have heard. But it seems to me that you have made up your mind. So if you want to texturize then do it. If you don't like it then grow it out. the only way you will have low maintence hair is too keep it really short to the point you can just brush and go. Like a Fade I guess:ohwell:

hopeful said:
I think the key here is that you are planning on keeping your hair short, at least two inches (correct me if I'm wrong). If you keep it short you will almost always have a "fresh" texturizer if you know what I mean, because you will always be cutting it to keep it short. So it should always look nice and be easier for you to care for. With a texturizer you will not have to braid or twist. I was texturized for a minute and found the hair actually didn't like being braided or twisted because that will actually give your hair more of a relaxed look compared to a natural or texturized look.

I think some people aren't being helpful to you because so many of us have not found success with texturized hair but I think most of us are trying to grow our hair out and it's just so hard get the texturizer "just right." But your primary goal is short, easy hair, and with arthiritus you really can't do the braids and twists which really are the best styling "tools" for natural hair. So, you need an alternative. The only other issue I see though is that if you keep it short and frequently need a texturizer, will you still be dependent on someone else to do your hair? I know you said you didn't want to be dependent on someone else. Can you keep your hair short and texturize it yourself or will you need to go to a salon? I ask because if you keep your hair short, your new growth will become evident very quickly if your hair grows quickly and even though people may not "see" the difference, you will definately "feel" the difference.

I also found that texturized hair just was much weaker than natural hair. For my hair I felt it either needed to be fully relaxed or natural but again that was my hair, and I don't have arthritis and honestly if I could not braid or twist I probably would be looking for an alternative as well because when you have hair that shrinks like ours does you will feel trapped. I wish you the best and hope you find a solution that works for you.

Thank you so much hopeful for understanding and pointing out the pros and cons. :) Yeah, I've accepted that I'll have to keep it short forever whether I texturize or not. Long natural hair has to be plaited, there's really no way around it.

saqqara said:
Thank you so much hopeful for understanding and pointing out the pros and cons. :) Yeah, I've accepted that I'll have to keep it short forever whether I texturize or not. Long natural hair has to be plaited, there's really no way around it.

You're welcome saqqara, I'm glad I could be helpful. Keep us updated on whatever you decide.

Back