Naturals who have hair not long enough to do protective styling

seraphinelle

I mean as pulling it back into a pony tail or bun.

What do you do during the winter months?

I am not doing braids because my sides need a break. I have been doing co washing, and not combing through my hair only on a wash day.

But I'm just really worried about my ends. I know my problem is retaining length because i have a heap of brown roots against the red dye, :lachen:

Why are u up so early and typing? Can u even focus on the screen? lol - I'm playing.

ermmm During winter (October to June lol) I'll just be wearing my hair in twistouts. My hairs about 4.5/5 inches and I couldn't force it in a pony even if I wanted to so I go with low/no manipulation. I wash it like once a week twist it wet then let it dry over night then in the morning take the twists out. The next 5-7 days I just tie it under my headscarf and fluff it in the morning. By weeks end it is quite curly and a bit shrunken but it's good that I didn't fiddle with it too much - or atleast try not to (serious HIF disease)

I worry about my ends too, but there's really nothing to be done about it. I was thinking of getting canerows this weekend as a change now that the back's gotten longer, but I get so stressed about combing it now, I don't know if I'll manage.

Hi!
My hair is not long enough for a bun or ponytail but I have started braiding it in two large braids (cornrows) on either side of my head, and it looks quite cute. Plus it keeps my ends protected. I do this because I am too lazy to be twisting my hair for hours. This is quick, and I can keep the braids in for two or three days. Then I really need to wash my hair.
HTH

Also, my hairline is protected because I don't pull at it at all, which I think is your biggest concern?

ToyToy said:
Hi!
My hair is not long enough for a bun or ponytail but I have started braiding it in two large braids (cornrows) on either side of my head, and it looks quite cute. Plus it keeps my ends protected. I do this because I am too lazy to be twisting my hair for hours. This is quick, and I can keep the braids in for two or three days. Then I really need to wash my hair.
HTH

Also, my hairline is protected because I don't pull at it at all, which I think is your biggest concern?

OMG! I forgot about this style, it does look cute! I might try this weekend. lol I'm gonna look about 10 hehe

Hi,

My hair is about 5-6 inches. I'm giving my hair a break from individual braids so I'm wearing a wig that has a rollerset look. I wear the wig as a fall with my hair line slighly showing. I've gotten a lot of compliments! I wear a headband in the front and pin the back down.:)

The natural hair doesn't have to fit into a pony or bun to be in a protected style. Have you tried bantu knots, flattwists, cornrows, box braids, two strand twists, coils. All of these will keep you hands out of your hair for a while and protect your ends. If you hair doesn't hang long enough in one of these styles to fit into a pony or bun, then the ends shouldn't be rubbing against clothes or anything. HTH.

cheetarah1980 said:
The natural hair doesn't have to fit into a pony or bun to be in a protected style. Have you tried bantu knots, flattwists, cornrows, box braids, two strand twists, coils. All of these will keep you hands out of your hair for a while and protect your ends. If you hair doesn't hang long enough in one of these styles to fit into a pony or bun, then the ends shouldn't be rubbing against clothes or anything. HTH.

ITA!! Ponytails and buns - in my humble opinion - are the best protective style options for straight hair. We, the kinky, however, have more options. *points down at siggy line*

dimpalz said:
Why are u up so early and typing? Can u even focus on the screen? lol - I'm playing.

ermmm During winter (October to June lol) I'll just be wearing my hair in twistouts. My hairs about 4.5/5 inches and I couldn't force it in a pony even if I wanted to so I go with low/no manipulation. I wash it like once a week twist it wet then let it dry over night then in the morning take the twists out. The next 5-7 days I just tie it under my headscarf and fluff it in the morning. By weeks end it is quite curly and a bit shrunken but it's good that I didn't fiddle with it too much - or atleast try not to (serious HIF disease)

I worry about my ends too, but there's really nothing to be done about it. I was thinking of getting canerows this weekend as a change now that the back's gotten longer, but I get so stressed about combing it now, I don't know if I'll manage.

My hair is about the same length and thats exactly what I do.

Dimpalz, it wasn't THAT early!! LOL, i was making sure I have my breakfast so I don't have to eat on the public transport :P

Thanks for the info guys

LOL, i've realized my hair LOVES CWC, and my afro puff has been the softest it has ever been today. Looks good, so that's the good news.

Then the bad news, hands in my hair all day. YIKES!!

I did twists earlier on in the week, but I just didn't like them.

I really like nappy womyn's hair style at the bottom of her siggie!

My hair is pushing 8 inches, but I don't like pulling it back into a pony tail and combing it.. LOL

OT:
I love Motions silk conditioner. WOW

Hahah, I must be the outcast cause my hair doesn't even know what a protective style is! LOL

I wet my hair a little with plain water and then add the IC gel to it and put it up in a pony. I try to keep it like that for two days with a phony pony on top. My sides sometimes slips down but not that often and that is how I wear my hair everyday. My back is long and drags across my shoulders it doesn't shrink up like the rest of my hair so I just wear the entire thing up. I been wearing it like this for two weeks so that everyone at work would get use to it. At home I take the phony tail off and massage my scalp, I never use to wear my hair up. Never it was never ever long enough to do so. I ether add MTG non-smelly sort. or I condition wash and add the mtg. I love to cw my hair I would do it twice a day if I could, its something about the feel of water going through your scalp and hair that I just love. Anyway that is my protective style. I brought five phony tails and I switch up on them everyday. They do not know what to say to me so they say nothing. Plus I do not care what others think. I hope they forget what my real hair looks like. since I do not intend to let them see if until I reach my year and then they will not see it for atleast another 6 months.

Back