Naturals Who Flat Iron

pookaloo83

When your hair starts to revert a bit, do you lightly flat iron again, blow dry (tension method) or just let your hair revert and do its thang. Thanks!

Sent From My Pheauxne

I don't refresh, I just change up my styles.
I start with a bun style while it's straight and then do more textured styles once it starts to revert. My hair is still much more pliable even if it isn't as straight. And my twistout/braidouts hang lower.

BTW, Your hair looks great!

I don't refresh, I just change up my styles.
I start with a bun style while it's straight and then do more textured styles once it starts to revert. My hair is still much more pliable even if it isn't as straight. And my twistout/braidouts hang lower.

BTW, Your hair looks great!

Thank you! Yeah as it's starting to revert a bit (by washing dishes with HOT water and steam riding towards my face :rolleyes:) I've decided to maybe do a braidout. I had it in a banana clip today. But I just wanted it to last a bit longer. But it's ok!

Sent From My Pheauxne

i just leave it and change styles.
i recently posted à new thread "my flat iron pics 4ab fine hair"

there is à pic where.it started to revert after i added s curl spray (october pic)

I have to admit and maybe I'm the bad one, but sometimes I refresh with a flat iron. My rationale is that it is better than starting from scratch (i.e. wash, blow dry, flat iron).

I'm glad to see this thread because I plan to flat iron my hair tomorrow. I was thinking of wrapping it at night with a satin scarf & once it starts getting bigger to throw some braids in it and remove them for a textured bun.

I refresh once and then transitioned to ponytails. Then I do buns and/or textured styles until wash day. I get a lot of mileage out of my straight hair.

I would add a little bit of moisturizer and put in some rollers or pincurls. I find that overnight the hair will get smoother and i can get a few more straight days before i go to more textured options

I would add a little bit of moisturizer and put in some rollers or pincurls. I find that overnight the hair will get smoother and i can get a few more straight days before i go to more textured options

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Pin curling at night. But some parts are poofy and I just flatironed it Wednesday. I wanted it to last just a tad longer. I'll pin curl once more tonight. I MAY run the blow dryer up and down some parts. Don't wanna use the flat iron again.

Sent From My Pheauxne

I just let it do it's own thing. But my trick to making it last longer (don't know if it will work for anyone else though), is wearing it in a bun when I'm home, on my way to work.

Basically what I do is pull my hair as if I am going to out it in a ponytail, and then twist the length, wrap it into a bun, and pin it in place with one huge wrapping pin.

I don't use any ponytail holde, so there's no crease.

This method really extends my hairstyle, and when you take down the bun, your hair should fall into nice waves. It helps if you have a nicely shaped hairstyle / haircut and healthy ends.

mine could have stayed bone straight if i didnt usé s curl spray.

at night i put the hair in either one big twist or 2 twists that are médiumly tight. if you dont want waves that show à.lot then.loose twists that i put in à bun (à bun per.twist). and im done.

it lasts long like that for me. then moosturizing with my keracare oil moisturizer

I just let it do it's own thing. But my trick to making it last longer (don't know if it will work for anyone else though), is wearing it in a bun when I'm home, on my way to work.

Basically what I do is pull my hair as if I am going to out it in a ponytail, and then twist the length, wrap it into a bun, and pin it in place with one huge wrapping pin.

This method really extends my hairstyle, and when you take down the bun, your hair should fall into nice waves. It helps if you have a nicely shaped hairstyle / haircut and healthy ends.

I've seen a natural on YouTube do this. Nice pretty waves. She did it at night.

Sent From My Pheauxne

If I want my hair straight for a few more days, I apply some heat protectant and flat iron again. :lol:

If not, I will put it into a cute pony or throw some rollers on that b****.

I've seen a natural on YouTube do this. Nice pretty waves. She did it at night.

Sent From My Pheauxne

Yes, I forgot to mention I sleep like this. Definitely a must! And you can manipulate the volume by where you place the bun. The higher you place it, the more volume and waves / curls closer to the root.

If you place the bun closer to the nape you get the opposite, way less volume and curls / waves more for the neck down.

People think I style / curl my hair everyday, but really I just let the bun out in the morning when I get out of the car, and I'm good to go!!!

Nine times out of ten I let it go and switch to a braid out/twist out or bun style. Today I did refresh since I hadn't taken my end of the year length check pics yet.

I do this only I use a ponytail holder. I don't mind the crease. Gives my hair nice body.

I will do a light flat iron of my strands if my hair becomes somewhat poofy. The temperature I set to flat iron is lower than what I would use for a fresh press.

Yeah - After my second BC due to heat damage I let it do what it wants to do... Usually I'll just add some satin rollers or flexi rods and make a style from there.

This is what I do as well. Basically a huge bantu knot. :yep: I put a little castor oil on the ends and it stays straight and still has body to it.

The last time I flat ironed my hair it lasted two whole weeks without reverting and I never had to reapply heat. Every night I remoisturized and pin curled my hair. I tied my hair up before I showered and in the morning it was fab. I know I could've gone another week (or two) but I missed my curls. So for me pin curling every night was my saving grace.

I ended up going over some parts with a very Luke warm flat iron. Did t do much but took some of the frizz out. After this I'm gonna let it do what it do.

Sent From My Pheauxne

I flat ironed my hair 12/26 and thought I did a good job. I did a 1-2 day deep treatment prior and tried to do a modified "Sistawithrealhair" method. I used minimal product and higher temp. (Usually I use 320, this time 400 degrees.)
The result, my hair was lighter and straighter, it looked great. However, my hair poofed in less than 1 day. I don't know why I can't keep my hair straight. I tried to wrap my hair and the scarf just loosens so much at night, its like I never wrapped it. Also, when I shower, my edges seem to absorb all of the moist heat, although I have several layers on. I wanted to trim my ends that same day I flat ironed but never did. However I am ready to re-flat iron my hair now so that I may trim my ends. After today, if it won't look decent again, I'll just go back too curly and rewash my hair.:ohwell:
BTW, I've never had heat damage and have had to retouch a few times.

My hair won't just randomly start reverting--it will stay straight forever unless it gets wet (but I wash about once a week because my scalp is oily and that causes problems for me if I don't wash my hair soon enough). If it's just a little frizzy, it will be smoothed out overnight, as I always sleep in a bun with some overnight hair treatment in (Alterna or L'Oreal).

If I got caught in the rain or something and my edges are truly out of control then I will refresh, but it's rare that I have to do that.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Pin curling at night. But some parts are poofy and I just flatironed it Wednesday. I wanted it to last just a tad longer. I'll pin curl once more tonight. I MAY run the blow dryer up and down some parts. Don't wanna use the flat iron again.

Sent From My Pheauxne

a satin roller would give more tension to the hair and smooth it out better than pin curls.

i think it may be ok to touch up occasionally, but personally i wouldnt do it my self. once it has napped to the point of no return there is no saving it!:lol:

I flat ironed my hair tonight and it started poofing up before I was even done. :lol: I didn't set the temp very high. I wanted it to be sleeker than a blowout without being bone straight. I achieved that. I wrapped it for the night. No idea what to do with it tomorrow though. It's my anniversary and I wanted to look... different I suppose.

i'm going to flat iron my hair too. and i plan on just switching styles. like doing bantu knot outs, braid outs, buns, try the cocoon curls. once that wears out i will go back to my mini braids

Back