Naturals Who Do Their Own Twists...

Soliel185

What's the process? I want to start practicing my twists once I get most of the bone straight ends trimmed off.

It seems that the ends mostly just curl around each other and hold - do you use any sort of gel to help with this?

Do you make careful partings for each twist or just make large sections and grab and go?

How long do you twists last? Can you wash them?

Do any of you experience matting or dreading at the roots or ends from leaving the twists in too long?

TIA!

I use Barry Fletcher twist like this cream which is great for my hair. I twist the ends around my finger to get them to stick together.

I don't use any products. I make careful partings. Mine last till I redo them, which is usually when I have growth. I have major HIH disease so I cannot resist redoing them one at a time as is convenient when I get growth. I never wash my hair any other way except in twists when I'm wearing them. I shampoo scalp, squeeze twists during the rinse so they get cleaned with dilute shampoo. Then I apply conditioner to the twists not the section near my scalp though. Squeeze for it to penetrate. Rinse then ACV rinse and leave them to drip dry. I like to drip dry coz they dry straight this way.

I don't experience any matting at all. I think it's because I don't use products and ACV rinse often. Sometimes when I don't have time to CW, I just dunk my head in an ACV rinse and let them drip dry again for the straight factor. So I reckon the ACV keeps the cuticles closed and prevents the strands from tangling. When I untwist the strands separate with ease. My HIH disease might also be the reason my hair doesn't mat. I can't stand loose twists so I probably don't give them time to mat. Whenever I'm watching TV, I redo a few at a time.

It seems that the ends mostly just curl around each other and hold - do you use any sort of gel to help with this? I use ORS Loc and Twist Gel

Do you make careful partings for each twist or just make large sections and grab and go? I use a rat tail comb to part my hair into rows, then I finger part with that row.

How long do you twists last? Can you wash them? I usually keep my twist in for 2...sometimes 3 weeks. Any longer than that and my hair starts to loc up:spinning:

Do any of you experience matting or dreading at the roots or ends from leaving the twists in too long? See Q4

Nonie - do you have any pics of one of your sets?

Congrats on the upcoming bc, can't wait to see your pics!!!!

the ladies got most of it covered but i just wanted to add; to twist your hair in the direction you want your twists to go for instance, straight down for maximum hang, towards your face if you want some to frame your face and lay nicely.

i always start the base overhanded going towards the front (sorry if confusing) on the left and the right side.

hair at the middle crown down to middle nape, i try to start them with my hands over my head so the twists in the middle stay in the middle and don't drift to the left or right too much (probably more confusing).

Nonie - do you have any pics of one of your sets?

Not very good ones (lousy cam) but here you are:

2004:
Freshly done on dry hair:
Twistsnoextensionscloseup-vi.jpg

Washed and allowed to drip-dry:
My4ABPenSprings-vi.jpg

Rollerset twists (airdried):
CurledTwistsNoFace-vi.jpg

2006:
After a wash:
AirdryingTwists-vi.jpg

I would put them into pigtails while wet so they'd hang and dry that way, ie downwards:
TwistsinPigtails07_2006-vi.jpg

An updo
SimpleTwistUpdo-vi.jpg

Braid-out on twists:
BraidoutonTwistsJuly2006-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh those a pretty, Nonie. But small.

I just realized that I am very very lazy......:ohwell:

I might have to have them done, and then just touch them up myself one by one.

I apply the grab and twist method whenever I twist my hair, I don’t have the patience to make “neat parts” throughout my hair since it’s on the thick side, and parting isn’t one of my special skills, I finger part my hair first before I grab ‘n twist though works just fine. As for products I apply coconut oil on each section before I twist, for my ends I use a bit of lock ‘n twist gel for extra hold. My twists usually last for a week, but I’m sure they will last longer once I try banding them before washing along with the stocking cap method.

What's the process? Section my hair in three; the whole back as one and the two sides. Make horizontal parts with the tail of a comb starting from the bottom and then finger part the sections to be twisted. I spray the leave with a spritz to make sure it's damp and detangle the section.

It seems that the ends mostly just curl around each other and hold - do you use any sort of gel to help with this? I use natural butters, sometimes one that has been mixed with gel and/or conditioner.

Do you make careful partings for each twist or just make large sections and grab and go? Careful. The last time I got my mother to make the parts for me.

How long do you twists last? I almost made a month the last time.

Can you wash them? Yea I washed after the second week.

Do any of you experience matting or dreading at the roots or ends from leaving the twists in too long? No, but I think it would have been easier to take down if I didn't wash them.

http://public.fotki.com/wonderstar88/hairtoday/i-want-hip-length-hair/january---april-2008/4.html

I use a simple shea butter + aloe vera gel mix (50/50) and twist on wet or dry hair - wet ones are shorter/plumper and dry ones are thinner/longer on me. Whatever suit my schedul. I always make horizontal parts w/ a comb and ffinger part vertically - just so that I can plan how big/small I want to make them - b/c of the time factor(larger horizontal parts means I will be doing bigger ones all over my head). It doesn't really take much extra time to part and it helps later on when you need to redo some down the line. Mine only last for a week and I cannot rewet them because they will unravel not matter how small I make them.

:notworthy :urock:

Hi:giveheart:Nonie!

Not very good ones (lousy cam) but here you are:

2004:
Freshly done on dry hair:
Twistsnoextensionscloseup-vi.jpg

Washed and allowed to drip-dry:
My4ABPenSprings-vi.jpg

Rollerset twists (airdried):
CurledTwistsNoFace-vi.jpg

2006:
After a wash:
AirdryingTwists-vi.jpg

I would put them into pigtails while wet so they'd hang and dry that way, ie downwards:
TwistsinPigtails07_2006-vi.jpg

An updo
SimpleTwistUpdo-vi.jpg

Braid-out on twists:
BraidoutonTwistsJuly2006-vi.jpg

Products:
And a cream moisturizer of some type throughout my hair. I use Kid's Organics Hair and Scalp Moisturizer. This help me detangle each section really well and prepares my hair for handling. I also might use ORS Loc and Twist Gel.

Method:

Grab and Twist. I don't do the parting until I get to the front. And it is not a guarantee that is going to happen. With my nappy hair I llike to keep things free. Like put together but, not that strict box, neat party look that I had w/ my relaxer. I embrace the look of nappy and this kind of not perfect look. lol

That is a personal thing. Because w/ my relaxer I felt like I had to reach perfection equaling straight hair, straight lines, slick, perfect deminsions etc.

I am new to the twisting thing (i've only done it twice lol, im still learning, but here are my answers.

What's the process? I do the same as Wonderstar88, i part my hair into three, so two at the sides and one larger parting in the back. I usually start with the front, with the back section i tend to start with the area closest to the nape.

It seems that the ends mostly just curl around each other and hold - do you use any sort of gel to help with this? Nope, my hair just curls up itself, but i do use aloe vera gel on each section, im still want to experiment with other products though.

Do you make careful partings for each twist or just make large sections and grab and go? I try to, but i get too tired, so i neatly part the front with my rat tail comb, then finger part the rest

How long do you twists last? Can you wash them? I haven't washed my hair whilst in twists, although i'd like to give it a go, my twists have so far lasted up to 2 weeks.

Do any of you experience matting or dreading at the roots or ends from leaving the twists in too long? No not yet, although i have forgotten to moisterise whilst in twists and my hair paid for it when i took them out, because it was breaking.

My pics are in my fotki under the 2008 album.

What's the process? I want to start practicing my twists once I get most of the bone straight ends trimmed off.

It seems that the ends mostly just curl around each other and hold - do you use any sort of gel to help with this?

Do you make careful partings for each twist or just make large sections and grab and go?

Do any of you experience matting or dreading at the roots or ends from leaving the twists in too long?

TIA!

i usually do them dry with no product. however, in the past i've used aloe vera gel for hold, which worked well. my twists curl too and some are crooked. i think this may be normal though. i'm going to try twisting on wet/damp hair to see if there is a difference.

i part my twists; i only grab and twist if my aim for putting in twists is to have a twist out the next day. if i want presentable twists that i can wear out then parting (although mine are shady :look:) is a must.

i've heard of people leaving their twists in for 2 weeks. i have trouble going more than 2 days because 1) my hair matts incredibly easily so the style looks rough after one day and 2) i'm impatient. i wanted to take out the set i have in now after one day.

i've heard of people rinsing their twists but not actually washing them.

Last edited:

TIA!

My twists stay together and don't need anything to hold them. I twist on dry stretched hair. My hair always has Qhemet's Heavy Cream in it.

I start in the front just in case I don't finish the back, I can wear a puff. I part in three sections, two in the front. Then I part horizontally near my ears and work up in the front on both sides. Then I begin with the back parting vertically. I DO NOT part for each twist, only for each row or column.

My twists can last way longer than I keep them. I take them down after around 2 weeks because I have HIF.:look: Here is a link to my album showing part of this process in which I did micro twists with the ends loose.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559714492iYmEvB

Because the locing process takes months, keeping twists in for 2 weeks will not cause locing. I do have to detangle more after taking down twists and it does take patience.
HTH
:spinning:

Last edited:
I don't twist my hair but I do my natural DD's.
*I do neat parts with a rattail comb. I start in the back and part horizontally. Then I make triangles going all the way across. It'll be one point up, then point down, and so forth.
*I do her hair from wet so I use a detangling spray, aloe vera gel, then Jane Carter Nourish and Shine on each section. Make sure you twist each individual section as you make your twist.
*When I get to the end I twist it around my finger to "lock in" the twist.
*I don't wash her hair in twists but they last three weeks. I usually only leave them for two though because I prefer them to be neat. Also after two weeks they are difficult to detangle after taking them down. Maybe this isn't long enough loc but it sure seems like it is!

It seems that the ends mostly just curl around each other and hold - do you use any sort of gel to help with this? I usually twist with no products, or if my hair is freshly washed, I add a butter/oil mix to seal in the moisture. My ends curl up on themselves holding the twist together.

Do you make careful partings for each twist or just make large sections and grab and go? I make careful partings, but if I don't braid the roots before twisting, the root of the twist gets puffy and you cant see the part anyways. Which begs the question... why am I parting? lol

My twists will last as long as I leave them in, there's no unraveling. I can wash them, they will be a little fuzzier after washing.

Do any of you experience matting or dreading at the roots or ends from leaving the twists in too long? I experience this at the ends in the nap after only 1 week. I usually just redo those two or three twists. If I wash my hair in twists repeatedly, there is dreading. I only wash them once or twice, so therefore I only keep then in 1-3 weeks.

TIA!

Your welcome! I love my twists :)

Lys

I cant get my twists ( or braids for that matter) to start close to the root.. the look good but always look like an inch of new growth at the base... its liek I cant grab close enough to the bottom of my hair when Im starting

Hi Jenniferohjenny :wave:
C'mhere you! (I don't care if you're skurred)
smallhug-vi.gif

Thanks for the compliment.

Frggrant :kiss:

Soleil :hug2:

I use this twist n lock gel. I comes in a white tub with a purple top. Most times I section it off with a comb, apply the gel to wet hair and twist. When I get to the ends, I put a little more gel on and twist it around my fingers tightly. I try to do it early in the day so it can air dry. I am able to wash mine and I sleep with a satin bonnet. To wash, I put shampoo and water in a dye bottle and squeeze it on my hair. It gives me a lot of suds without having to manipulate the twists. I have a pic in my fotki. I also did some on my dd's hair and there is a pic in my fotki of hers as well. Q

Queeny - I like Bria's twists. Her hair reminds me of mine when I was little. If I do my own, I don't think I could make them very small. Taking those suckers out would mean the end of me!

I'm excited to try, but it'll probably be awhile before they're good for anything but twistouts. Thank Goodness for headbands!

Queeny - I like Bria's twists. Her hair reminds me of mine when I was little. If I do my own, I don't think I could make them very small. Taking those suckers out would mean the end of me!

I'm excited to try, but it'll probably be awhile before they're good for anything but twistouts. Thank Goodness for headbands!

Yeah girl those small ones wouldn't cut it with her either. Just play around with it and you will get the hang of it. I love them because they are so versatile. Q

Back