NATURALS WHO BLOW OUT THEIR HAIR TO TWIST

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Do you lose your texture by blowing your hair out to twist your hair? I am thinking about using this method to make my twists hang better and make them look less juvenile.:ohwell: Am I asking trouble trying this method out? I need tips from the natural gurus here. I intended to use warm setting to stretch my hair out before I twist.

What do you mean by lose your natural texture? As in it's permanently removed or that the hair looks straight before it's twisted? You don't have to blow dry it bone straight. You can leave some texture in there.

You don't have to blow out your hair, just put it in braids to stretch it. When the braids are dry you can twist and it will show length.

I sometimes blow my hair out to show length on twistouts better. I haven't had any problems with my hair snapping back. I've probably averaged about once every two months since my BC, back in March 2010. I only did it once in the summer, have done it more than once a month since it's gotten cold. I make sure to do a protein DC on the wash afterwards.

I do want to say that my hair has never had a problem with reverting, even though it's baby fine. When I was relaxed, I'd blow dry and flat iron at least once a week, and even then my hair was NEVER bone straight when wet or air dried.

when I used to blowdry before twists I didnt notice any permamnent change in texture, but I got my hair blown on med heat anyway, so who knows.

Ive since stopped blowing my hair for twists, just twist on stretched dry hair.... gives the same result for me, without using heat.

I used to do this quite often, but I don't wear my hair in twists much these days. No change in texture observed.

Tip: make sure not to blow your ends too straight so that your twists will hold and not unravel.

You don't have to blow out your hair, just put it in braids to stretch it. When the braids are dry you can twist and it will show length.
I can't braid to save my life. :look: I can barely twist. I just have very thick hair that draws up something fierce. I'll be researching You Tube vids in the mean time.

Last edited:
DD I like to band my hair beforehand to stretch it out before I put twists in. No heat necessary. I will be doing a video on this hopefully this weekend.

I don't know about you, OP, but I find my twists look more juvenile (read: silly) when my hair is stretched. Not only are they light (read: stiff/no movement) and wobbly and skinny, but they also look so thin and pitiful. I'll post some pics to illustrate:

Freshly done twists on braid-stretched hair on the right look so thin :nono:
IMG00294201003292341-vi.jpg

These are the same twists after a wash:
Curformersonwetbraids-vi.jpg

Another set of freshly done twists in the top pics vs after a wash in the bottom pics:
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

Another example of how weird stretched twists look on me. These were straightened, and were so thin-looking that I only felt comfortable if they were flattened against my head in a way that they hid my scalp:
PressedTwists-vi.jpg

I think twists worn up do not look juvenile and if they are damp they can be stretched into a pony or close to one and a puff worn. When my hair couldn't make it into the puff, I just cornrowed them along where they could reach in a circular way then added a puff. That's what I did in the pic below:
TwistPonyPuffandSideSweptBangs-vi.jpg

This style was also created on damp twists which are easier to stretched, and I don't think it's juvenile either. So I think it's just how you style them:
Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

OP, braiding isn't hard. Especially if it isn't for wearing out. You can learn if you really want to by practicing the rhythm on a doll. You don't have to do cornrows to stretch our twists. Single plaits can work. Braiding is simply taking three sections and then starting with one of the outside sections, cross it over the middle one. Then take the one on the other end and cross it over the section that is now in the middle. And just keep alternating like that: How to Braid Hair | My Hair Styling Tools

Last edited:
I used to blow out my hair before twisting. I agree w/the others, just don't blow it out too straight.

I used to do this quite often, but I don't wear my hair in twists much these days. No change in texture observed.

Tip: make sure not to blow your ends too straight so that your twists will hold and not unravel.

I agree and I have used this process using low heat, high air and never had texture damage as a result.

I find this youtuber is great for braid tutorials. I end up getting breakage when I blow try so I don't care for it. You can also rollerset if you want it stretched that much. I don't care for how twists look on me now but when I did them I just did it on air dried stretched hair. You can even wear a stretched style for the week and take it down to do your twists if you like.

I'm trying to increase my protective styles while uppin' my cuteness (badly needed.)
Right now, I have my first sew in and when I'm done with the 6 weeks, I'll be braiding my hair.

I wash and airdry in big twists (about 8-10) and then when the hair is almost dry, I stretch it with the blowdryer on high air but med heat (I should have done low heat like Mook.) I thought that because the hair was more than 80% dry it wouldn't stretch but I was wrong. This is how I'll dry my hair going forward to alleviate the pain I feel during the braiding process, to avoid SSKs and hopefully to retain more length.

At this point you can style as usual including twists. I apply Nature's Blessins after the hair is dried. But I agree with Noni, that twists on dry hair look more juvenile on me.
I intend on doing my flat twists or cornrows this year....until summertime.

I do all my twistouts on dry(blown-out) hair, have been for years and never noticed any difference. More shine, more length, more body, less ssk's.
(I blo-dry about once every 2-3wks)

Low heat, high air as mentioned above.

At this stage of my hair's length, I do not care for my hair in twists. I have fine strands and hair of medium density so they look very thin in my opinion and I don't like wearing them out in public. I've taken to blowing out my hair once a week and protective styling from there and it's been helping me get through this arctic winter we're havin in NY! My hair has way less fairy knots now. I don't notice any problems with reversion with blow it out weekly.

I have always blown my hair out before twisting. I have never had any problems with texture and this summer I will be natural for 6 yrs. I don't have the patience to air dry or band my hair. Everyone's hair is different though so it may or may not work for you.

DD I like to band my hair beforehand to stretch it out before I put twists in. No heat necessary. I will be doing a video on this hopefully this weekend.

Your twist looks amazing!!:lick: how to prevent it from massive shrinkage? can't wait for your tutorial.

ta!

I think its healthier to stretch it by air drying in 10 or so braids and then braiding or twisting once they're fully dry. Same results as blow-drying prior, without the drying or damaging effects.

DD, have you ever thought about using the cool setting? I use the cool setting when I do blowouts in the summer because my hair always feels crispy when I use the heat settings to blowdry.

You don't always lose texture when using heat. Heat doesn't always equal damage or texture loosening. It's all in how much heat, and your texture and what it can take. It is too broad of a question because everyone's hair is different. If you have ever blown out your hair and it reverts, then you know what your hair can handle. You may want to put it on medium if you are nervous. I always put mine on high and have no problems reverting....but each head of hair is different...I blow mine out (not bone straight) and then use a cream or styling that isn't water based and do the twists. I love the stretched look...or like someone else mentioned...do twists while wet and when you take them out, use a nozzle attachment on your dryer to stretch the hair and elongate it.

You don't always lose texture when using heat. Heat doesn't always equal damage or texture loosening. It's all in how much heat, and your texture and what it can take. It is too broad of a question because everyone's hair is different. If you have ever blown out your hair and it reverts, then you know what your hair can handle. You may want to put it on medium if you are nervous. I always put mine on high and have no problems reverting....but each head of hair is different...I blow mine out (not bone straight) and then use a cream or styling that isn't water based and do the twists. I love the stretched look...or like someone else mentioned...do twists while wet and when you take them out, use a nozzle attachment on your dryer to stretch the hair and elongate it.

This is what I plan to do when my TWA grows out!:yep: Thanks for the suggestions, ladies!

I think its healthier to stretch it by air drying in 10 or so braids and then braiding or twisting once they're fully dry. Same results as blow-drying prior, without the drying or damaging effects.

If braiding is an issue, separate freshly washed detangled hair into sections. Secure sections with scrunchies or clips and air dry. Lubricate each section if you use product, divide again if necessary and twist the hair in the direction you wish it to fall.

Back