NATURALS:WHEN DID YOU START PS'ING?

NitaChantell

At what length, or month of your hair journey did you start protective styling? Do TWA's need to be in protective styles? If so, why? TIA:drunk:

im natural and protective styling is what will get you to where you want to be, i do it 100% of time and always have.

eta: if you dont have that much breakage when you hair is twa, you dont need to protective style untill at a longer length.

I started doing ps in november 2007, one year after my bc, my hair was ear length unstretched. Before that I just sported an afro.

Did you have a TWA when you first went natural? If so, what protective styles did you use? Thanks!

hold on , had to think. mother cut all my hair off about 13 years ago and i only had about 1.5inches of hair on my head. after hair grew to NL i braided it all the time.

eta, never pS while shorter then that

Last edited:
I am 5.5 months past BC and transitioned for almost 6 months. I started PS pretty early on to limit manipulating my hair...i became obsessed and always had my hands in my hair

I started about a year and a half into my journey when my hair was a lil past SL....I have always read that the stage between SL and APL were pretty critical so I decided to aggressively PS at that point.

its been about 4 months since I started that and im pretty much APL still got a lil more to grow cuz im not tryna claim 10 hairs lol.

But I plan to continue PSn for the next 6 months becase I wanna be well on my way to BSL B4 I wear my hair out more

I think my favorite style to do when I had a TWA was coils. It took very little time and lasted a week. I just did them because my hair was suffering from dryness. I also wash n went a lot, but when it got around 4-5 inches, I needed to PS.

I didn't p.s until I was comfortable with the way my hair looked in twists which was probably...6 mos post bc (give or take). Up until that point, I wore flat twist twistouts all of the time so that I wouldn't have to wet my hair and it gave my twa more texture.

When I bc'd it wasn't to a TWA but it was at that weird shoulder length/in-between stage where the hair flops all over the place but tends to stick up at the crown. Waaaaaay too much end-killing manipulation was required to make it fro out so unless it was in a puff, my hair was mostly rolled up in some twists.

I'd say for that first year 85% of my styles were protective ones of some sort. No weaves, wigs or extensions but lots of twists with the occasional braid/twist out/puff/box braids/rod set styles to keep from getting bored.

I can't speak from experience but I think ps for a twa pretty mch the same as longer lengths. Short of buns and pony tails ( unless u have enough hair) braids, twist, wigs, weaves... Hth

I PS'd as soon as I BC'd. Twists, coils, cornrows (if I can grab it I can braid it!) PSing is essential for my hairtype & lifestyle.

This thread is right on time! I need to PS because of a challenge and my wig is driving me absolutely nuts!:spinning:

I'll seek out a comb coil or twist tutorial.

You all have such beautiful hair!

I think my favorite style to do when I had a TWA was coils. It took very little time and lasted a week. I just did them because my hair was suffering from dryness. I also wash n went a lot, but when it got around 4-5 inches, I needed to PS.

I actually reached that point last night, my hair is about 5 inches long stretched and I have been twisting it for a PS since last september. Anyhoo I left it out in an afro yesterday with a little shea butter and the center of my hair knotted and tangled and was fixing to break!:nono:. I had to add conditioner to my afro and untangle under the shower and it was still long and difficult, I will be washing my hair less often and in braids otherwise my hair will be this length forever! Protective styling form now on.

Mind you I used to coil my hair when it was shorter for a change.

I started as soon as I bc'd. I would wear twists for 1.5 weeks and then a twist out for a few days and start again with the same routine. The reason I PS'd is because I love twists and twist outs!

I just started PS December of last year. Before that I would occasionally wear my hair up or in buns but not with the intent of PS, it was more to change things up.

I am now on the last leg of my journey (hoping to reach my final goal by the end of the year) and I am using PS to get there.

Edited to add: Seeing the results of PS for less than a month makes me wish I had done it sooner. I think if I had I would be closer to my goal because I would not have needed to trim as much. Last year I lost at least an inch and a half to trims.

Last edited:
About 6 weeks after I BC'd and I was about 18 months post relaxer. During my transistion, I learned from the board to cleanse, moisturize, seal, and protect, since I had no problems getting to SL or CBL, I wanted to ensure I would get to APL as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I don't know how to braid my hair, it does not matter how many vids i see in youtube, i just cant .. so i was waiting to have a lenght where i can make a ponytail so i can put a wig-putail to make a bun. SO i started PS at 5 months =)

Back