Naturals - What products do you use for moisture?

KinksnCurlz

LADIES... my daughter's hair was soooooooooooooo dry this morning... i mean really dry. I've never seen her hair so dry before and frankly, i am quite alarmed. Aside from upping her water intake, what products do you guys swear by?
I would like shampoo, conditioner, treatments, daily moisturizers, gel, etc. that you guys love 2 death! Anything that you use which gives your hair moisture/sheen.

TIA

btw, i used nexxus emergencee in her hair, i'm quite sure that played a HUGE part in the uber dryness she experienced.

My daughter's hair loves Suave's Tropical Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner. Also she & I use V05's Kiwi & Lime. Her hair stays moist with African Royale BRX Braid Spray. Also, some coconut GREASE on the length of her hair, concentrating on the ends. I also keep her hair braided. She rarely wears puffs, and I never let her wear it out. For my own hair, I use olive oil mixed with Hollywood Beauty's carrot creme. And Dove intense moisturizing conditioner.

Moisturizers:
ElastaQP Recovery and Mango Butter

Conditioners:
Suave Awapuhi and Humectant

Deep Conditioners:
Lustrasilk Cholesterol w/Aloe

Shampoo:
Kenra Moisturizing

CaramelHonee said:
LADIES... my daughter's hair was soooooooooooooo dry this morning... i mean really dry. I've never seen her hair so dry before and frankly, i am quite alarmed. Aside from upping her water intake, what products do you guys swear by?
I would like shampoo, conditioner, treatments, daily moisturizers, gel, etc. that you guys love 2 death! Anything that you use which gives your hair moisture/sheen.

TIA

btw, i used nexxus emergencee in her hair, i'm quite sure that played a HUGE part in the uber dryness she experienced.

My daughter is a natural as well. Her hair is mid back when pressed.
I use to use the VO5 Herbal Essence i think that is what is called and the Cholesteral conditioner. He hair was ok, to comb and turned out well.
Now for the past month, I have been using the Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner on her hair and it is soooo soft and moisturized and sooo easy to comb. I love it!! She does too, since I am not yanking at her hair anymore! :)

I love using aussie shampoos and conditioners. They work great for me.

daily- condition wash with aussie conditioner

rinse and go

nitely apply one of the following to ends and scalp(tallow, mango butter, avocado butter, sal butter, cocoa butter) then apply then plastic see thru cap and go to sleep

weekly- shampoo, condition then deep condition with queen helene super cholesterol treatment apply plastic cap and sit under caruel dryer for 30-45 mins. rinse and go

Hope this helps

I spray my daughter's hair daily with a mixture of Suave coconut conditioner mixed with water. For wash days - I haven't used shampoo on her hair in a while, I use Suave Humectant for the wash and regular Suave coconut conditioner for the conditioner part. Pre-shampoo, I use a mixture of hair mayonnaise and honey and coconut oil or a mixture of cholesterol, EVOO and honey and let her run around the house with a plastic bag.

After washing, I apply shea butter and coconut oil. I haven't had any problems with her hair being dry since I started deep conditioning it. I've never used a protein conditioner on her hair other than cholesterol or hair mayonnaise.

I really think the shea butter makes her hair super soft but it could be the daily spritzing with water and conditioner along with a mixture of oils or coconut oil or shea butter alone.

Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion. Sounds weird but everytime someone has really dry hair and I tell them to use it they love it. Just slather a nice amount on.

CH, my hair has been uber-dry of late also and I think it has to do w/the weather here. I should invest in a hat or silk scarf I suppose. I haven't been doing anything differently so that's all that I can come up w/and my scalp has been flaky as well. Out of sheer panic I did a hot oil treatment (not a big fan and never understood purpose), sat under the heating cap for 30 mins. and rinsed. I debated pooing, but decided against it. I added some Humectress to help me comb thru b/c my hair was still oily (esp the ends). I lost way less hair and my hair wasn't as stringy or icky as I'd thought when I took it down the next morning from my twistout, but my ends were still well lubed. I used shea butter, castor, avocado and olive oil (way less shea next time b/c I hate the smell and the conditioner didn't cover it). I haven't seen one broken end and my hair doesn't feel dry. I think I'm doing these once a week for the next few months. :)

hey lady, i made the mistake of using emergencee on deja's hair and that was a big no-no. a friend i met here on the board told me (and a stylist) that natural hair doesn't need a such a harsh protein. it's not being chemically processed so it's really not needed. i have used motions CPR or the Kid's Organic protein and they both worked great on her hair. I won't even use the Keraphix on her after the emergencee experience. i was also told to use castor oil on her scalp every other day and the elasta qp mango butter on her hair for moisture.

Hey! DryHead checking in here....

Prepoo treatment - I use coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil (mixed together or separate) or Surge lotion motion #9 use with plastic cap

Shampoos - Kenra, Elucence, Suave Milk&Honey
Conditioners - Same brand as poos

Moisturizers - SCurl, shea butter :love: Elasta QP mango butter, ORS Shea Butter Lotion

Leave in - Fantasia IC leave in w/Aloe

MyHoneychild products! :love:

Right now, I am using Kemi-Oyl...and it works well as a daily conditioner. Just use a little oil and rub in the palm of your hands. Then spread it in your/her hair and make sure that you get the ends.

CH, I know that Humectress is a very good moisturizer. I have used it and it worked very well for me to replenish moisture especially after using Emergencee. Kenra is very good also. They have an Intensive Emollient Treatment which is more hydrating than a regular moisturizing conditioner and adds alot of slip. You might want to prepoo with olive oil and honey or any moisturizing conditioner mixed with honey also since honey is a natural humectant and I'm sure your daughter's hair will love it. Good Luck!

CaramelHonee-
Have you decreased the amount of fats in her diet? That may be one of the causes of her dry hair. Check and see if the skin on body is dry also.

CaramelHonee-
Have you decreased the amount of fats in her diet? That may be one of the causes of her dry hair. Check and see if the skin on body is dry also.

ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion. Sounds weird but everytime someone has really dry hair and I tell them to use it they love it. Just slather a nice amount on.
That's funny you said that because this weekend I was starin' at my bf's jar of Palmer's cocoa butter just wanting to try it in my hair. Now I know I wasn't crazy to feel that urge, lol.

HWAY said:
CaramelHonee-

Hmmm interesting. Her skin is semi-dry as well. Thanks girl.

I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but I would definitely switch her from regular shampoo to conditioner washes (no shampoo method) Most shampoo available on the market usually have ingredients that tend to strip the hair of its natural oils. I would also suggest that you coat her strands with water (since water is moisture) and use an additional moisturizer (like shea butter) to lock in that moisture. Avoid hairstyles with her ends out (the harsh winter weather can really damage your ends) and make sure her ends aren't rubbing up against her sweaters or other cotton tops (or even pillow cases) which suck moisture from the hair. Remember to keep her ends moisturized, too! I highly recommend natural ingredients like shea butter or mango butter to keep her tresses healthy and moisturized.

I wanted to say thanks to all of you who offered adviced. I didn't get a chance to rewash her hair but her hair was VERY DRY this morning. I applied coconut conditioner and hot six oil to her hair. Then i used some ORS carrot oil on her ends... SOFTNESS GALORE!

When u guys say 'shea' butter do u mean the natural shea butter or would ORS Shea butter suffice?

*Conditioner Washes
*Sta Sof Fro with a plastic cap
*Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade on damp hair
*Weekly Deep Conditioning in sauna or under hooded dryer
*wearing a hat (over a satin cap) during the winter

Doing these has helped me GREATLY retain moisture. :)

musiclova said:
CH, I know that Humectress is a very good moisturizer. I have used it and it worked very well for me to replenish moisture especially after using Emergencee. Kenra is very good also. They have an Intensive Emollient Treatment which is more hydrating than a regular moisturizing conditioner and adds alot of slip. You might want to prepoo with olive oil and honey or any moisturizing conditioner mixed with honey also since honey is a natural humectant and I'm sure your daughter's hair will love it. Good Luck!

watch out for humectants in cold weather. While in warm weather, they pull the moisture from the air to your hair...in cold weather it is just the opposite. They pull moisture from your hair into the air. So be careful with these!

For me, the conditioner really doesn't matter. What does matter is that it is mixed with oil, and that I sit under the dryer with a plastic cap for about 15-20 minutes. That is key for me! I need to start mixing shea butter into my conditioner mix again. I can't stand it on my hair for daily use, but it's nice in a conditioner.

CaramelHonee said:
I wanted to say thanks to all of you who offered adviced. I didn't get a chance to rewash her hair but her hair was VERY DRY this morning. I applied coconut conditioner and hot six oil to her hair. Then i used some ORS carrot oil on her ends... SOFTNESS GALORE!

When u guys say 'shea' butter do u mean the natural shea butter or would ORS Shea butter suffice?

ORS Shea butter is very light and actually has very little shea butter in it. But if it works, then go for it! I think most people are referring to natural shea butter.

CaramelHonee said:
Where can i get this kemi oyl and the kemi oyl shea butter pomade??? :scratchchin:
KOSBP is VERY hard to find in stores, but if you have an National Wholesale Liquidator near you, they carry it for 4.99. I know, I ordered it from kemilabs when I couldn't find it (I recently moved) and it cost $11.00 with shipping :eek: But it's that good!

Back