NATURALS what do YOU use for MOISTURE?

drjo91

I need to know!! When i wake up my hair is extremely dry. I am using care free curl and i dont like the way my hair feels with it. So i am wondering what moisturizer do you ladies use that leaves your hair moisturize for a long time and it won't make your hair super dry. Also, a moisturizer that helps with curl definition ?

Sunsilk Captivating curls
Cantu shea butter leave-in repair cream (helps w/ curl definition)
Africa's Best Organics Liquid Hair Mayo

Don't forget to seal the moisture in with a good oil. Lately, I've been using Optimum Oil Therapy Hair and Scalp Quencher.

I'm going no cones now with promising results so far.

I think really moisture needs vary from head to head (I have a closet full of things that worked for others but not mine)

Hi! A few days a week, I'll use a vial of Roux Fermodyl 619 Leave-In Treatment for Coarse Hair (available at Sally's). However, daily I use aloe vera gel and a good amount of castor oil after my morning co-wash. Castor oil is pretty heavy but my hair loves it.

I also love, love Sunsilk Captivating Curls Gel & Cream Twist for coil definition.

HTH

Last edited:
I use Scurl. I was using Care free curl, but it left my hair feeling greasy yet dry.:nono::perplexed
Also I use proclaim aloe vera gel to help with the curl definition, but if you do not want to use any gel baggie all of your hair over night with Scurl (use a shower cap) and that always makes my hair curly by the morning.

Last edited:
Water and my own concoction of shea butter mixed with essential oils (like olive oil, rosemary etc. etc.). To hold the curls I use curl activator gel.
But even with all of that I am still looking to add to more moisture to my regimen.

It took me about two years to figure it out. For me avoiding cones helped tremediously. Jane Carter Solutions products helped. As well as products from the two websites below. I prefer to get my products in person, however these have proven to help my dry dry dry hair retain moisture. Applying moisturizers to my damp hair made a big difference.

Oh, and I always seal with pure unrefined coconut oil :yep: And lastly, avoiding shampoos with sodium laureth/laryl sulfates. I only use them about 1x month to clarify.

www.qhemetbiologics.com

http://oyinhandmade.com/oyin/

Also, conduct a search, as there are some great threads on this topic as well.

I have to throw my two cents in for Qhemet Biologics. I use the Burdock Root Buttercream, but the Amla and Olive Heavy Cream works well too. The deciding factors would be the thickness, coarseness, and curl of your hair. The Burdock Root is lighter. Both give you some definition, too! There is also Products of the Earth Hair Revitalizer. I'm an Ayurveda junkie, so I also have to plug Vatika and Ramtirth hair oils.

I mainly rely on deep conditionings for moisture to my hair. When I don't have my hair straightened, I use coconut oil (which does the job for my hair).

I'm not natural, but my my two dd's (3c and 4a) and dh (4z) are.

The only thing I've found that keeps their hair moisturized is Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker. My 4a dd has chronically dry hair. I'd have to moisturize her hair twice a day and it was still crunchy and super brittle, especially her ends. By the time she came home from school, her hair was shrunken up and looked like a dry tumbleweed. It was bad and I was at a loss.

Now that I've found 14 in 1, I can easily go two days (although I don't miss a day!) without moisturizing. Her hair stays soft, spongy and moist. Her ends are still semi dry SOMETIMES, nothing a quick spray of 14 in 1 won't fix :grin: I even did a little experiment and didn't put a bonnet on her for a few nights. Each night she woke up with moist and soft hair. It's so good at moisturizing, I don't even have to seal. That moisture isn't going anywhere! I use it as a leave in too :yep:

I can't say enough good things about this moisturizer!

coconut oil
shea butter/evoo blend (I melt it with a little olive oil and then recool to room temp to get a more buttery texture)

mixture of mango butter, shea butter, and coco butter, melt them al in the microwave, mix put in a container, and let sit to harden in a cabinet, i also seal with oil..

I use Scurl. I was using Care free curl, but it left my hair feeling greasy yet dry.:nono::perplexed
Also I use proclaim aloe vera gel to help with the curl definition, but if you do not want to use any gel baggie all of your hair over night with Scurl (use a shower cap) and that always makes my hair curly by the morning.

Thanks for that, i thought i was the only one having problems with CARE FREE CURL!! Glad to know, i will be getting rid of it soon. It has CONES, and protein so i think that is too much for my hair.

Most of the time, I use a conditioner mix or just plain water and seal with oil. I also use Blended Beauty's Happy Nappy Styles, which I need to restock on sometime soon.

Back