Naturals: what are you doing at night?

FindingMe

Naturals, what are you doing to your hair at night, specifically to aid in moisture retention and prolong style? I usually do large dry twists at night and add a little oil and sleep with a satin scarf.

I found this old thread from 2003, but I'm wondering am I missing some of the latest and greatest on maintaining my nat hair at night: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=11861

Naturals, what say you?:drunk:

It depends on my hair style. Generally I either do big twists or I'll separate my hair into 2 or 4 buns. I usually put conditioner or oil on while I'm preparing my hair for the night.

And 95% of the time I put on my bonnet.

It depends on my hair style. Generally I either do big twists or I'll separate my hair into 2 or 4 buns. I usually put conditioner or oil on while I'm preparing my hair for the night.

And 95% of the time I put on my bonnet.

thanks! you are always so helpful. :yep: when you say bun, do you mean like a big bantu knot or do you use like an elastic band and actually bun? what do you do with the ends?

I co-wash every day so i don't need to preserve my hairstyle..frankly, i couldn't if i wanted to.
I sleep on a satin pillowcase with my hair bunned up in a scrunchie.

thanks! you are always so helpful. :yep: when you say bun, do you mean like a big bantu knot or do you use like an elastic band and actually bun? what do you do with the ends?

I use an elastic band and usually the ends are tucked under the band. The only reason I don't do one bun is because my hair isn't long enough for it to stay all night without it being really tight. It's easier to do them loose with multiple buns.

I co-wash every day so i don't need to preserve my hairstyle..frankly, i couldn't if i wanted to.
I sleep on a satin pillowcase with my hair bunned up in a scrunchie.

I co-wash every day also. I use cold water though and leave some of the conditioner in the hair. While the hair is still wet, I spray on my water-glycerin mix. I apply Nature's Blessing Hair Pomade for my edges. I let my hair air dry until it's at least damp and I'll tie it up with a satin scarf for the night.

Either I put my hair into big twists or I just pull it all back into two low puffs, spritz with my homemade spritz, seal with coconut oil, wrap and go to bed.

also, do you guys find it better to make your hair more wet when you go to bed to retain/add moisture or more dry? (did that question make sense?)

also, do you guys find it better to make your hair more wet when you go to bed to retain/add moisture or more dry? (did that question make sense?)

I don't like to go to sleep on wet hair. Damp maybe, but not wet. Generally I don't add water to my hair before tying it up. The most I'll add is conditioner (like AO White Camellia) which makes it damp.

I spray my hair with a moisturizer, wait awhile and then when it's just a little damp I put a satin bonnet on and go to bed.

I'm always either in plaits or braids so my night regimen just involves putting on a plastic cap and calling it a night.

If I wore my hair out, I'd plait it at night and put on the cap.

I don't apply anything prior to putting the cap on. When in braids or twists, I don't use any leave ins so I just wear a cap on bare hair. When wearing my hair out, I usually have S Curl on but again, I don't apply anymore before wearing the cap but just plait my hair and then put it on. One day's application of S Curl lasts me a few days so I don't find the need to apply more if I'm baggying nightly, which is a habit of a lifetime.

I put conditioner/coconut oil through my hair and do a mini-apple :giggle:

Like a pineapple, but my hair is short and doesn't deserve to be called a pineapple.

Anyway, pinning your hair up helps short haired girls keep their curls/coils too :yep:

My hair's usually in twists, so I spray them with a leave-in conditioner (currently JC Revitaliing leave-in) and use an oil mister to spray the ends. Put on a satin bonnet and sleep.

I'm also one that cannot preserve a hairstyle nor can I do braids/twists at night for a braidout/twistout; my hair winds up looking matted and dull the next day.

Lately, I'm sleeping in four buns because I think it minimises single strand knots and matting. I used to sleep in braids or with my hair loose but I think that increases tangles.

Last edited:
Lately my hair has been in twists or plaits. I moisturize the ends & seal with an oil as needed.

I pull all of the twists or braids together and pin the ends up within my hair, so the ends are tucked away.

I use a satin scarf or bonnet when I sleep.

If in small plaits like now, I spritz with water/glycerine/aloe mix and seal with shea mix or an oil before putting in rollers or bantus. If my hair is loose, I do 2/3 big canerows like the 2nd pic in my siggy. I always wrap with a silk scarf or use a silk pillowcase. I don't think I've ever slept with my hair loose, that just smells like trouble!

Last edited:
SO sprays detangler, slaps on some shea butter, and puts it in 3 plaits for me :love:

he had long hair for awhile and he used to twist/ braid his own...
its great for our bonding :kiss3:

i do this when its w n go, but i hate doing that, so if i have a t or b/ out, i spray some oil and do the bonnet

If in small plaits like now, I spritz with water/glycerine/aloe mix and seal with shea mix or an oil before putting in rollers or bantus. If my hair is loose, I do 2/3 big canerows like the 2nd pic in my siggy. I always wrap with a silk scarf or use a silk pillowcase. I don't think I've ever slept with my hair loose, that just smells like trouble!

we call those plaits here... do you call your plaits cornrows? i love that... thats so cool, how we blacks use words however we want... we're so cool...
yes that was so OT :grin:

Back