Naturals & Transitioners: Which Denman Brush do you use?

LuyshuZ

I have the D3 model and it works well on the natural part of my hair but snags on the relaxed hair even though it has been detangled. I saw one on a YT video with widely spaced bristles but the person never mentioned the model.

Please say the

Model:

What you use it for detangling or styling:

Hair type/texture/ or just a hair description:

I have the D3 model. It was great on my new growth... not so great on my relaxed hair. As a natural, I now use it mainly for blow drying. I also use it for major detangling sessions when I have the time and patience. I have Type 4 hair (frizzy, tightly coiled).

i have a twa and i use the d3 maybe once a week in the shower. it detaingles like a dream but it makes my curls like a little curly fro. thats a look i go for only on the weekends.

I use the d3 also. It works pretty well on my natural hair and okay on my relaxed hair. But for my sons natural hair it is awesome.

It seems the d3 is working for everyone's natural hair. I guess I just have to wait until I BC to get the effect I desire.

Is the real Denman the same as the knock off?

Real
D4_thumb.jpg

Fake
Goody-So-Fresh-Brush.jpg

I puchased a D3 and will be returning. As, the rows are too close together. It takes forever for me to try and detangle with that thing. After 10 minutes of doing one tiny section I put it down and went to my trusty Paddlebrush. I can't for the life of me see why natural haired women are using the D3 or D4 at all. Especially, if you don't have short hair. Those rows are so close together. Like a REGULAR COMB not even a wide tooth comb. Very perplexing. More power to the people that can!!

However, I did just order the D41 which is 9 rows and suppose to be for medium to long CURLY hair. The D31 with 7 rows is suppose to be for short CURLY hair.

After doing research I found that the D3 and D4 are used to blow dry STRAIGHT hair for a smooth look (definitely not for detangling purposes). And the D31 and D41 are used for thick or curly hair AND for DETANGLING. That's why the rows are spread apart the same way as a wide-tooth comb!

I have two small ones, two D3's, a D4 (9 row) and the paddle brush :look: I use them AFTER detangling and I use my D3 at the scalp only on straightened hair to smooth into a ponytail.

ETA: 3c/4a fine strands, dense, past BSL.

Last edited:

However, I did just order the D41 which is 9 rows and suppose to be for medium to long CURLY hair. The D31 with 7 rows is suppose to be for short CURLY hair.

After doing research I found that the D3 and D4 are used to blow dry STRAIGHT hair for a smooth look (definitely not for detangling purposes). And the D31 and D41 are used for thick or curly hair AND for DETANGLING. That's why the rows are spread apart the same way as a wide-tooth comb!

Yep!

I have the D31. I believe I got it from Ricky's when I was in NY.....
I saw the D3 and D31 next to each other, and the first thing I noticed was how close the rows were on the D3.

Me and my D31 are happy for the time being.

I bought a D4 and I'm sorry I didn't research more and buy the D41. The D4 is terrible for my hair.:sad:

I don't think I can use that brush I hear my curls popping everytime I use it like it is tearing my 4a/3c hair out. :nono:I don't use it anymore.:perplexed

I have a D3. I stopped using it a little while ago and now use it very infrequently; usually if I have had a protective style for several weeks or months and after I detangle I use it to get rid of shed hair. I had a MAJOR setback when I used it to detangle and am only now slowly recovering in that area. I am not saying that it's the D3's fault, but I have not experienced the amount of hair loss that I had with the D3 with my comb.

I have a D3 and I don't use it often at all. It makes my wet hair tangle! It also also divides my natural clumping. I do plan on getting the d41

Back