*Naturals/Transitioners that wear Ponytails*

Sweet_Ambrosia

Whats your technique for taming/slicking down your NG (new growth) for wearing a ponytail?

No matter how many times I try slicking my hair down by brushing it it still doesnt lay completely flat, I get those little bumps of hair that sticks up which I hate! Is there anyway that I can slick my NG down w/o using heat, or tying a scarf around my head or using pounds of gel???

I can't think of any methods w/o using a scarf.

I am natural and my hair is so thick---I can't get it all into a ponytail unless my hair is damp/wet (as it grows--I am starting to have to have it wet)

Then I smooth shea/oils throughout my hair. Then I put aloe vera gel. Then I use a brush and just keep brushing all around my head until my hair starts 'going' where I want it to go.

BUT--after that--I do put a scarf on---I see no other way to smooth it. 2 acutally--one around my head and the other near the ponytail holder to keep that 'bump' away.
My hair turns out so smooth and shiny--sometimes looks like I have a relaxer still where it was tied down.

I use a scarf after I shower (right before bed). The first few months of my transition this step was necessary, but now that the newgrowth is longer and heavier my hair lays down much easier. So I can skip the scarf. I know this didn't help, but I wanted to share my experience.

~Bump~

Well I guess I have no choice but to use some gel on my NG to slick it down when I wear a pony. :(

Any suggestions are still appreciated!

I'm all natural and I mainly use damp hair and a scarf otherwise I don't smooth it down. Sorry, but I don't think it's gonna work if you don't try the options that you've already eliminated.

Eta: I just realized you are trying to acheive a ponytail look so maybe some else can help you. I was thinking of an afro puff and fuzzys don't really matter as much with that style. IMO

Last edited:
I don't know of anyway to do it other than the ways you mentioned--textured curly hair doesn't stay down easily without some help.

I wear my hair in a bun or pony very often, and I usually just dampen the hair and layer a leave-in moisturizer/flaxseed and a finger full of ic fantasia. Sometimes I also use a boar-hair brush. Recently I've started getting small spiral curlies sticking straight up in the front of my hair, so I've added tying a scarf around my head for a bit--it works really well to mush the spirals down.

Try Qhemets Olive and Honey hydrating balm. Its what I found to replace the elasta mango buter when I started trying to get rid of parabens. It seems like it would be sticky but it isnt. The pump it comes in is useless, imo. I couldnt get the product out and so I poured it into another jar-like container. Elasta mango butter worked for me tho. Qhemets honeybush hair gel may work also. I only stopped using it because it has mixed parabens as part of the ingredients. If your hair is damp you will probably get better results, also a scarf, as the other ladies have suggested will help if you still need it to be flatter/smoother.

U can try to use the WGO or the hollywood castor grease on hair thats been freshly washed. my hubby got 3c hair past brastrap (i faithfully braid it all week or do ponytails all the time and it used to be a challenge to lay the hair flat as i use no heat on his hair and do poo cond once a week on his) but i know the slickest way to have it lay flat wet the hair either with a spray on bottle of water or after washing your hair use the small comb and the wgo and you gonna see it lays flat like gel specially the hollywood castor grease. hope it helps but if you trying on dry hair i think it will stay puffy

I've used a number of products and techniques. In the beginning I was using a small amount of Let's Jam or QP Mango. Then I found Shea butter. I created a mix of shea, aloe vera gel, a little oil(Lotion Motion or evoo) vitamin e gel. Basically to thin the shea out some to make it more applicable. Anyway, I used that on damp hair with a boar's hair brush.

Now you don't have to use a scarf per se, you can get on of those mesh velcro wrap deals. It is nowhere near as tight as a scarf can be. Or you can use a stocking cap from an old pair of tights or stockings.

Is your problem with scarves the tightness and getting those awful lines and blisters on your forehead? If so there is a way you tie it on to avoid that. The scarf really doesn't have to be that tight. Plus, you really don't have to use lots of gel. Cheleigh mentioned a finger full of gel and this is quite acurate.

Well I used a bit of gel (about a quarter size) on damp hair and used a boar brush, that did the trick, no more puffy/bumpy hair for me! :lol: :grin:

Thanks everyone for your input! :)

Back