Naturals/Transitioners Name your favouite natural butters for curls

Nanyanika

What ones are everyone else using? I've used refined sheabutter mixed with aloe gel and sometimes Elasta QP Mango butter, but nothing is working on keeping my newgrowth soft, defined and moisturised.

What can i use keep my growth soft and ultra moisturised after conditionings?
What ones can i use to define my coils more?
Are unrefined butters better?

I think just plain unrefined shea butter is the absolute best at moisturizing. If you want something lighter unrefined mango butter is also really good. My hair hated the elasta qp.

I actually like a mix of shea butter and avocado butter or just avocado butter by itself. I've used both for a long time now. The avocado butter is a teeny bit lighter and brings out my coils nicely when you use it after rinsing or washing.

OFF TOPIC: Den1 you did a great job with the bantu knot style! That's cute...I gotta try that one day..

Brownshugaz said:
I think just plain unrefined shea butter is the absolute best at moisturizing. If you want something lighter unrefined mango butter is also really good. My hair hated the elasta qp.
Is the raw unrefined shebutter a yellowish brown colour? My hair i really hating Elasta QP one. thanks for your help.

nurseN98 said:
I actually like a mix of shea butter and avocado butter or just avocado butter by itself. I've used both for a long time now. The avocado butter is a teeny bit lighter and brings out my coils nicely when you use it after rinsing or washing.

OFF TOPIC: Den1 you did a great job with the bantu knot style! That's cute...I gotta try that one day..
Do you apply your butters on wet or damp hair, before or after combing and brushing? Thanks for complimenting my styling technique, i hope i keep improving.

den1 said:
Do you apply your butters on wet or damp hair, before or after combing and brushing? Thanks for complimenting my styling technique, i hope i keep improving.

It depends on what I want it to look like. If I'm going to out and I just washed and want definition, I slather it on while it is dripping wet. I just grab a section and pull it slowly a couple of times to make sure it coats the hair then I'll wrap my hair in a towel for about 10 or 15 minutes to catch the drippies. If I'm going to sleep soon or not going anywhere I wrap first to get rid of the water and put it on damp. I usually do that when I'm gonna braid it up or twist it.

nurseN98 said:
It depends on what I want it to look like. If I'm going to out and I just washed and want definition, I slather it on while it is dripping wet. I just grab a section and pull it slowly a couple of times to make sure it coats the hair then I'll wrap my hair in a towel for about 10 or 15 minutes to catch the drippies. If I'm going to sleep soon or not going anywhere I wrap first to get rid of the water and put it on damp. I usually do that when I'm gonna braid it up or twist it.
Thank-you so much your help, I'm looking for more definition so i'll just add shea or avocado butter to wet hair in sections and coat it well.

I love Asha's Naturals Heavenly Pudding (1st ingredient is Avacado) and Sun-Kissed for moisture and shine (I make sure to heat it by rubbing it between my palms for a better consistancy). For definition I'm thinking of trying Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam.

Back