Naturals that Transitioned with Blow Outs

pbuckley

How many naturals transitioned by doing blow outs? I have been getting a blow out done every 2 weeks for a year now. I currently have about 5 more inches of relaxed hair left. I can't see where I have any major breakage or where my curl pattern has suffered.

Just wondering if there are any success or horror stories by transitioning this way.

Any advice that you can give would be helpful.

Even though I didnt make a consious decision to transition or go natural, when I did my "BC" (got my hair but into bob) I used to blow out my hair weekly...My hair suffered horribly...Mad heat damage and breakage meng...it made me start a healthy hair journey...

Thanks Amoreofcurls - Your hair is beautiful - I'm hoping to do this a few more months and then hopefully cut of the rest of the relaxed ends. I'm starting to get nervous though about dealing with my own hair.

I'm not a fan of blowouts, but if your hair isn't suffering or being damaged in any way, maybe it works for you. Hope you're enjoying your transition!!

I did for 7 mo. of my transition and I had a lot of heat damage, which led to me cutting off about 2-3 inches and then going completely no heat until my bc. I wore a rod set for the next few months until I was ready to chop.

I also had colored treated hair which played a roll as well.

I did for 7 mo. of my transition and I had a lot of heat damage, which led to me cutting off about 2-3 inches and then going completely no heat until my bc. I wore a rod set for the next few months until I was ready to chop.

I also had colored treated hair which played a roll as well.

this is what happened to me. i didn't have any obvious damage, until i realized how much hair had to be cut during my bc, including heat and color damaged "natural" hair. i went so far as to always get the deep conditioner treatment and even pre-pooing my hair with oil prior to the blow out hoping that would help lessen the damage. but i had to give them up after the first year. by the second year of my transition i i only did it may once every 3 months.

I did it. My DM stylist was also natural and a advocate for me going natural. I had the usual poo/dc/roller set and then the roots blown out. I was textlaxed and used to stretch my relaxers for 3-4 mos...so this technique was my normal routine. The only change I made was to space out my weekly visits to monthly or every six weeks. I also alowed her to be more agressive with my trims. I went from BSL to just below shoulder length before I chopped. In between salon visits I experimented with braid and twist out styles and wash n go ponytails. I became a PJ...started buying curly hair products...Miss Jessies ORIGINAL formulas were my new loves. This was back in 2005.

I didn't suffer any heat damage! I cut the off the relaxed ends after 15 mos.

HTH

I tried, but those dobbies were torture. I took French, but I learned really quickly, "No mas! My hair became limp and I had little broken hairs. I only did it a few times, the first time my Dominican friend girl had to be there to translate.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

I did it. My DM stylist was also natural and a advocate for me going natural. I had the usual poo/dc/roller set and then the roots blown out. I was textlaxed and used to stretch my relaxers for 3-4 mos...so this technique was my normal routine. The only change I made was to space out my weekly visits to monthly or every six weeks. I also alowed her to be more agressive with my trims. I went from BSL to just below shoulder length before I chopped. In between salon visits I experimented with braid and twist out styles and wash n go ponytails. I became a PJ...started buying curly hair products...Miss Jessies ORIGINAL formulas were my new loves. This was back in 2005.

I didn't suffer any heat damage! I cut the off the relaxed ends after 15 mos.

HTH

Thank you! My DM stylist is one of my natural advocates as well! It's been a year today no relaxer. I may try space my visits as well. Thanks for letting me know that it can be done. What is ur hair type and did you lose ur curl pattern any?

Thank you! My DM stylist is one of my natural advocates as well! It's been a year today no relaxer. I may try space my visits as well. Thanks for letting me know that it can be done. What is ur hair type and did you lose ur curl pattern any?

Nope no loss in my curl pattern. I started spacing out the visits because I discovered hair boards during that time. I started reading heat damage threads over on Nappurality became super paronoid. But I suffered no ill effects thankfully.

It's strange because a few years after being fully natural I went to a diff (not DM) salon and got a blow out and flat iron and ended up with some heat damage in the front of my hair go figure. That was 2 years ago I just let it grow out..NOOO chopping. I have about a inch left. I just twisted that part and kept in moving.:yep: I learned that the front of my hair is more heat sensitive so I adjust accordingly. Using heat is a risk...so let me be clear on that. But I've never experienced any heat damage from getting my roots blown out @ a DM salon. Let me add that I ALWAYS request that they turn DOWN the heat. I'm very vocal..in a nice but firm way. :)

To be honest I prefer to flat iron my own hair at home so I can control the heat temp. That just works better for me.

I suggest you pay very close attention to your hair. And if you find that a certain technique is not working stop it immediately and regroup. I'm sure you also understand that what works for some will NOT work for all. But in the end IMO will have to find what works for your hair and stick with it.

My hair is a mix of 3c/4a. Fine in strand but voluminous in it's natura state. Very prone to single stands knots and frizz. After experimenting with various natural curly styles and Aveda color and many trims. I'm currently color free and sticking to weekly roller setting and light flat ironing reggie.

I feel like I"m writing too much...so feel free to PM anytime.

I wish you much success with your transition.

Last edited:
What about keratin? I have a keratin treatment, and my hair seems okay-ish with salon flat ironing every month or so...?

Back