Naturals that Press. How do you keep your hair moisturized?

when i used serums only i had to moisturize it and i did so with other oils,serums and water based moisturizers but that left me with heavy,coated and/or slightly reverted hair.i could never find the trick to do it right.

now when i press with oil/grease i find that my hair doesn't need anything afterwards. i use a little bit of creme of nature argan oil 1-2 times a week though just in case. i want my hair to just not feel dry and like its going to snap and i dont like any residue when i touch my hair or lean on something. so that is what i gauge my "moisture" levels by.

Oils and serums are the only way. Although I would hope moisture rich products were used in your deep condition and blow dry process. Hopefully you have a few days before you need to actually put product on your hair.

serums with silicones afterwards make my hair stiff in the long run

last go around i just used a bit of coconut oil or some monoi de tahiti and my hair felt like butter.

I make sure I use a great deep conditioner before straightening. I just use a tiny bit of coconut oil if I need moisture.

I take care of the moisturizing during the pre-poo and post-poo conditioning, I dont like any 'moisturizing' type products on it after I flat-iron.
After it's straightened/dry, I just go for shine...a tiny amt of Chi Silk Infusion, and then a few sprays of Kimble Shine Spray on the finished 'doo.

Thanks ladies. I did pre-poo and did a good DC before getting it pressed. It's just been so long I couldn't remember if my hair dried out during the week and was trying to find some ideas just in case it did.

I think I will try coconut oil because I love how it moisturizes and adds shine when I do twist-outs so I assume it will do the same with my pressed hair.

like everyone else, i DC and steam, then add either CHI silk or aphogee keratin green tea mist, air dry my hair in big twists, thennnn flat iron. i will sometimes run some grape seed oil through my hair as the days go by. verrrrrrry small amount.

I only use a small dab of cantu shea butter leave in or PM "The Leave-in. I often mix it with a few drops of oil and there's very little reversion.

I love these questions b/c I have yet to understand the concept of moisturizing anything without water. I am not sure whether oils moisturize. I believe this was discussed in the past, and some folks mentioned their favorite oils which they believe moisturize.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't try to put SOMETHING on my hair but I often wonder if what we consider 'moisturized hair' is accurate? For example, when Empress Ri stated that her hair felt like 'butter' is this what moisturized hair feels like with oils (BTW, your hair is so gorgeous that if you told me to sit under a dryer with extra hot hair every night and THAT would be moisture in my hair, I’d believe you :yep:)? I also remember folks mentioning other characteristics of moisturized hair such as cool to the touch, non-fraying ends, smoother cuticles, the ability to hold a curl etc.
I can see how the oils may trap existing moisture but put moisture IN without reversion…hmmm…

Where are the emollients?

I need some scientists up in here!

I focus on the moisture when I DC before pressing...during the week I just moisturize with coconut oil (vatika oil)

Ditto. I make sure my hair is very moisturized from the DC and leave-in that I use. During the week, I will "moisturize" with coconut oil. If I need to use a heavier oil on the ends, I will, but only a veryyyyy little tiny bit.

I love these questions b/c I have yet to understand the concept of moisturizing anything without water. I am not sure whether oils moisturize. I believe this was discussed in the past, and some folks mentioned their favorite oils which they believe moisturize.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't try to put SOMETHING on my hair but I often wonder if what we consider 'moisturized hair' is accurate? For example, when Empress Ri stated that her hair felt like 'butter' is this what moisturized hair feels like with oils (BTW, your hair is so gorgeous that if you told me to sit under a dryer with extra hot hair every night and THAT would be moisture in my hair, I’d believe you :yep:)? I also remember folks mentioning other characteristics of moisturized hair such as cool to the touch, non-fraying ends, smoother cuticles, the ability to hold a curl etc.
I can see how the oils may trap existing moisture but put moisture IN without reversion…hmmm…

Where are the emollients?

I need some scientists up in here!

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I think the reason that coconut oil makes our hair feel good is because it is actually absorbed by the hair. Oils may not literally moisturize (with water), but they do provide nourishment, which I believe could aid in the softness. When I apply coconut oil (or even a bit of shea butter) to my hair, it is very soft.

The whole oil/moisturize thing can be very confusing, but I'm just happy that something (coconut oil) works to keep my hair in shape while straight without having to revert due to a water-based moisturizer.

I wondered the same thing Fine 4s until I used Karen body beautiful butter love as a moisturizer.. it has no water in the ingredients but its moisturizing (ingredients: Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Mango Butter, Jojoba Butter, Aloe Butter, Essential and/or Fragrance Oils, Grapefruit Seed Oil & Vitamin E). It doesn't revert any of my hair.

If you get a heat tool preferably a flat iron that smooth down the cuticle so they can seal in moisture (at least what I think my flat iron is doing), you don't have to moisturize as often. A mega moisturizing conditioner before hand helps too of course as others have stated :yep:

Tried the coconut oil last night and I like it. My hair is soft and super shiny. My ends feel a little dry but I am in the middle of a war with split ends. Even after a good trim I am still finding them. I will try a heavier oil tonight only on my ends and see if it helps.

Thanks for all the tips ladies.

Although I would hope moisture rich products were used in your deep condition and blow dry process. Hopefully you have a few days before you need to actually put product on your hair.

That "pre-moisture" is what's the key here. I hope the stylist did a DC on you prior to straightening your hair and didn't weigh it down with grease and product.

I like to use Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling creme. It's water based and has aloe juice in it, but is thick and has oils in it to moisturize and protect, and keep your tresses blingin for days. Now the smell is a little strong. Kinda like men's cologne, but if you can get over that, it's a great product. Just a pea sized amt, emulsified in your hands, then concentrated on your ends and work your way up to the root is all you will need once every 5 days! I love this stuff!

ETA: my hair DOESN'T revert with this product! Just leaves continued softness and shine!

Check this video out.. I've tried this and it works. I used nuetrogena triple moisture and vatika frosting..only use a pea size amt of the leave in YouTube - Moisturizing Straight Hair:lachen::lol: with No Reversion

This exactly what I do. Use a small amount of neutrogena triple moisture silk touch cream leave in (its very light so I don't get any reversion) and I seal with a small amount EVCO. I only moisture and seal the ends, for the top and the length of my hair I just use a dime sized amount of sally one and only argan oil. My hair stays straight also continuing to be moisturized and flowy( I don't think that a word but you know what I mean Hehe.)

Hello everybody! I'm kinda a newbie. Signed up and lurked a long time ago and learned a bunch of stuff but this is my first post! Yay!.. Anyhoo, if I am straightening I always make sure I prepoo the night/day before with oilive oil, honey, and a cheap conditioner then put in a bun. Then poo and deep condition the next day. I love the nexxus ultra moisturizing spray and kerastase elixir. Then i let it air dry about 80% then blow dry and flat iron. This way it is really moisturized but still very bouncy soft and silky.

This is all me, if I put anything else on my hair while I'm wearing it straight it gets weighed down and greasy and that's not a good look.

I take care of the moisturizing during the pre-poo and post-poo conditioning, I dont like any 'moisturizing' type products on it after I flat-iron.
After it's straightened/dry, I just go for shine...a tiny amt of Chi Silk Infusion, and then a few sprays of Kimble Shine Spray on the finished 'doo.

My whipped shea butter mix, targeting the ends ... And coconut oil. I use organix serum .. I really like it. It doesn't mouisturise but adds a nice sheen to my strands

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I'm gonna try some new products when I wash my later this week but I'm a little torn on how to do it. Putting oils on my hair before using heat is a no-no for my hair but I'm definitely going to start using CHI Silk Infusion before blow-drying. My main concern is what to put on my hair in between wash days. I'm planning to start using castor/coconut oil for my sealing my ends and nourishing my scalp but I'm thinking of using Neutrogena Triple Moisture since many people here are raving about it.:grin:

I make sure I deep condition really well with heat or overnight. Before blow drying, I use NIoxin Thermal Bliss Heat Protector (also doubles as a leave-in) and then Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. While flat ironing, I use Sally's Argon Oil. It comes out very soft, smooth and bouncy.

Back