Naturals:Prepping Hair for Heat?

MizzBrit

ok so i haven't touched heat in almost a good 2 years, but for Christmas i plan on going to get it straightened at a salon. i want to take as many precautions as i can so my hair doesn't get damaged or whatnot..so i ask, how do you ladies prep your hair prior to getting it done?

when westndnbeauty straightened her hair she dc'd overnight with silk elements and then washed it out and blowdried and straightened with nioxin bliss or something like that as a heat protectant...the moisturizing DC is the most important part. do you think you could DC overnight and then let them wash it out and straighten it...and the DC could be kinda like a pre-poo too...if i ever go to the salon for straightening its gonna be a dominican one for a rollerset and im DCing myself b4 hand esp. after i heard about those relaxer dc concoctions...you could probably bring your own products too, and comb so they dont try to comb your hair with some itty biity rattail.

p.s. i love your hair and your weight loss is so inspiring

Do I count? I'm transitioning though....so let me know before I give an answer lol

Your body is BANGIN btw!

ETA: I washed with a sulfate shampoo to get all the gunk out, DC'd for about 5 hours, rinsed and then air dried with my leave in and sabino moisture block. I applied the Sabino in 12 sections and used a nickel size on each section. Not sure what exactly prevented the heat damage...but I did not get heat damage and my natural hair was bone straight, flat ironed on 395 and only two passes. I think the most important thing is to tell your stylist not to go over a section a thousand times. Mine used to go over my sections like 4 times and I was relaxed smh. I would also apply my own heat protectant or ensure that they cover all of your hair.

Last edited:
ok so i haven't touched heat in almost a good 2 years, but for Christmas i plan on going to get it straightened at a salon. i want to take as many precautions as i can so my hair doesn't get damaged or whatnot..so i ask, how do you ladies prep your hair prior to getting it done?
Do you already have someone you know (or someone that's very reliable) to straighten your hair (especially since it's been almost 2 years since you've touched heat)?

yesterday was my first time touching heat since ive been natural(18 months or so). i shampooed and then did the 2 step aphogee protein. then i used aphogee leave in spray, a little PM awapuwi mist and some ic fanitasia heat protectant to roller set. then i flat ironed with my FHI going over each piece 2x.

Deep condition is a must. Airdry or rollerset. Use sabino moisture block. Use a comb to chase ( i have the actual flat iron comb thingy by goody). I only do one pass because of that Goody Flat Iron Comb. Use this method both texlaxed and natural. HTH

Personally MizzBrit, I would suggest trying to straighten on your own so you could monitor the amount of heat being used. I went to get a dominican blowout which caused more harm than good and I believe it was the amount of heat being used.

When I straighten, I like to use a clarifying shampoo, then I do a protein treatment (medium protein) after that a moisturizing treatment (overnight). The next day, I section my hair in 6-8 braids and let my hair dry around 85% then proceed to blowdry on medium heat (I use spray heat protectant-nioxin thermal bliss is wonderful). I then take small sections and apply ultra sheen satin press and chi silk infusion and over over twice with my flatiron @ 360 deg.

Personally MizzBrit, I would suggest trying to straighten on your own so you could monitor the amount of heat being used. I went to get a dominican blowout which caused more harm than good and I believe it was the amount of heat being used.

When I straighten, I like to use a clarifying shampoo, then I do a protein treatment (medium protein) after that a moisturizing treatment (overnight). The next day, I section my hair in 6-8 braids and let my hair dry around 85% then proceed to blowdry on medium heat (I use spray heat protectant-nioxin thermal bliss is wonderful). I then take small sections and apply ultra sheen satin press and chi silk infusion and over over twice with my flatiron @ 360 deg.

i was thinking of doing it myself..but i personally don't have patience to:blush:..plus my technique isn't so great,itll revert in minutes. i also would have to buy a blow dryer and flat iron that i wont be using but 1x a year..so id figure id be better off at a salon .but im def going to research before i pick any ol salon

Last edited:
Make sure you do a good dc before you apply heat. I probably use heat more than I should and I have no damage. I deep conditon overnight (most times) and i apply leavins and chi iron guard then blowdry. When dry i apply a nickel to quarter size amount of redkin smooth down heat protectant to each side of my hair before i flat iron. I always have bouncy shiny hair when i finish.

Deep condition and steam if you can. You might want to consider blow drying/detangling yourself. It'll give you a little more controlof the pitchmen/c your stylist will have her hands in your hair less. I've had two minor setbacks due to rough blow drying (by stylists). Now, I wouldn't let anyone but my sister, mom[my], and Gma in my hair.

Deep condition and steam if you can. You might want to consider blow drying/detangling yourself. It'll give you a little more controlof the pitchmen/c your stylist will have her hands in your hair less. I've had two minor setbacks due to rough blow drying (by stylists). Now, I wouldn't let anyone but my sister, mom[my], and Gma in my hair.
I agree with this, steaming makes a world of difference when I flat iron my hair. When I steam the only thing i put on as a leave-in is Sabino and it comes outs really nice. And detangling should save time and leave most of your hair on your head....

I agree with this, steaming makes a world of difference when I flat iron my hair. When I steam the only thing i put on as a leave-in is Sabino and it comes outs really nice. And detangling should save time and leave most of your hair on your head....

OT. wonderful hair my fellow Haitian.

and as for the heat MzBritt i have no clue, im only 9 months post relaxer and don;t plan on straightening until i'm 2 years like you :grin:

Do research on the products the stylist plans to use.. and I would say choose a salon based on someone you know or have seen who has hair with similar results to what you are looking to get.

I have decided that from now on i will only go to the salon for my trims, I have YET to go to a stylist who knows how to detangle my natural hair without making me feel like my hair is being ripped from my head. I take care of my hair...it's well moistured and conditioned and I KNOW that my hair is not THAT hair to detangle.. yet every stylist tries to pick me up out of the chair by my hair! so be ware of that. (had to vent a little:lol:)

I think what i was gonna say has already been just, but fyi, you know you're gonna need to make a thread with plenty of pics when you get it done, right?? just saying. :look:
your hair is the business.

yesterday was my first time touching heat since ive been natural(18 months or so). i shampooed and then did the 2 step aphogee protein. then i used aphogee leave in spray, a little PM awapuwi mist and some ic fanitasia heat protectant to roller set. then i flat ironed with my FHI going over each piece 2x.

How did it turn out? I'm planning to straighten for the 1st time in 5 years for Christmas!:spinning:

Back