NATURALS: Ol' School Scalp Greasin'???

NATURALS: Do you grease your scalp??

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do with oils. I haven't used kocatah in a while (Dax grease) but when I did my hair SPROUTED out of my head. Love what it did hated the smell. It's almost as bad as MTG. Seriously.

My scalp likes oil.... gets dry and itchy without it, as does my skin. So I have to add something unless I cowash more often.

I don't. I co-wash every other day and my hair is just too thick to part it and grease my scalp. Plus since I do co-wash often I believe it keeps my scalp healthy and moisturized. Occassionally I will use grease on my ends to seal in moisture.

I chose yes. My mom used to grease my scalp with with either Royal Crown or Dax. These days I use olive oil. I oil my scalp about three to four times a week. Keeps dandruff and scaliness away. I use grease to seal my ends if it's freezing cold outside.

I grease my scalp with my growth aid mix.. very lightly..

eek. I remember hating how greasy and oily my hair was when my mom was done with me..

I see a lot of you use it on your ends... didn't think of using it that way, but it's def. a good idea... Especially if you aren't interested in baggying..

After a crazy flacky scalp attach, I have started oiling my scalp and I have noticed a huge difference.
I was at the stage were I could not go a few days without washing my hair because the flakes would start and my scalp would itch like crazy.

A few weeks ago I used sulphar 8 and when I went to work someone told me my office smelled like a dentist office:ohwell:

So I have switched to Doo Grow Anti itch hair oil, its not too bad but I will try something more natural and home mixed once I am done with it.
I will try castor oil, EVOO and an essential oil and see how that works.
For now, I am enjoying a flake and itch free scalp.

Remember everything in moderation is key. Nobody likes an oily mess on their head.

I use grease for my edges... I don't know how my mom did it when I was younger but my hair doesn't benefit at ALL from scalp greasing! It doesn't nothing for my hair.

I don't use grease, but if I did it would be natural. I really don't like the feeling of greasy hair...but i can understand the bonding time between mother and daugther during these hair sessions.

I think i will start greasin" my StepD scalp with something natural, she has a dry scalp.

After I wash I use coconut oil to "grease" my scalp and then comb it through to coat my hair :lick:...it helps my hair maintain my shine and softness throughout the week...my aunt used to "grease" my scalp with dax or vaseline when I was a child but that was with braids back to back so I cant say it was the reason for my growth but my head didnt feel icky and over greased...I am gonna try like you mentioned Mecca Goddess and add peppermint oil and see how that makes my hair feel

After I wash I use coconut oil to "grease" my scalp and then comb it through to coat my hair :lick:...it helps my hair maintain my shine and softness throughout the week...my aunt used to "grease" my scalp with dax or vaseline when I was a child but that was with braids back to back so I cant say it was the reason for my growth but my head didnt feel icky and over greased...I am gonna try like you mentioned Mecca Goddess and add peppermint oil and see how that makes my hair feel

Keep me posted on your results...

My mom used to think grease was the cure for everything! She still does, actually. "Make sure you put some grease on your hair before you flat iron it." lol I used to keep some greased up hair, and my mom still does.

Right now, I only use "grease" when I have nothing else. Most of the time on my scalp, I just use some olive or avocado oil. Or just shea butter. :) mmm shea butter. I do like the Softee Indian Hemp treatment, though. It's ok.

Ingredients: Petrolatum , Lanolin , Jojoba Oil , Safflower Oil , Wheat Germ Oil , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) Acetate , Indian Hemp Oil , Jaborandi Oil , Nettle Oil , Rosemary Oil , Birch Oil , Burdock Oil , Rosehips Oil , Irishmoss Oil , Coltsfoot Oil , Dandelion Oil , Yellow Dock Oil , Elder Flowers Oil , Brewer's Yeast Oil , Shave Grass Oil , Echinacea Oil , Wild Cherry Bark Oil , Nepeta Cataria , Paraffin , Fragrance , BHT , Yellow 11

I have psoriasis in my scalp and old school Sulfur8 grease is the only thing that has kept it under control. I apply the Sulfur8 to my scalp after I wash my hair. When my hair dries, I really can't smell the sulfur. I have tried using natural oils or butters on my scalp but nothing else has worked for me.

I am sure that some of the more natural sulfur mixes would work just as well but why pay more money for the same results?

I was recently looking back thru old pics of myself as a kid (when my hair was longest). I remember my mother used to grease my scalp every week or so (as need). She used a regular brush to brush the grease through and combed it dry. Basically all the things that [we] are now being told not to do.....

I was wondering... natural ladies.... do you grease your scalp? If so, how do you include this into your regimine???

Ya know, I dont think that a greased scalp is the reason why your hair was long as a child:nono:, it probably would've been just as long or longer without a greased scalp, the grease was more than likely just sitting up there watching your hair grow. :lachen: My mom used to do that too...but grease used as a sealant on the hair might be helpful, did your mom use the grease on your hair too?

I don't really use grease on my scalp maybe once in a while. I use grease on my ends. I normally get moisturizer on my scalp trying to put it on my thick hair, so I guess that is why I don't feel the need to put anything on my scalp.

Ugh, since I ditched the grease my scalp has never been better. My hair never had more movement, my scalp is not so flaky and itchy. It feels softer too.
I will not return to that stuff. What an epiphany I had...

I use a small amount of olive oil on my scalp when it's dry. I stopped using grease a long time ago. My hair doesn't seem to react well to petroleum based products.

I'm a 4a natural and I don't grease my scalp. Every time I did, the oil or "grease" would mix with shedding scalp and create mega flakes and itchies! I tried oiling my scalp with just extra virgin olive oil a couple of months ago and I got scalp zits! (Never happened before in my life)

Now, other than a weekly shampoo and DC I leave my scalp alone and it's happiest this way. LOL :grin:

I only whip out that old school type of grease (like ultra sheen) when it's time to flat iron or use the hot comb. Other than that I oil my scalp regularly. With One of my many Bee Mine oils.

Back