NATURALS: Do you grease your scalp??

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mecca_Goddess

I was recently looking back thru old pics of myself as a kid (when my hair was longest). I remember my mother used to grease my scalp every week or so (as need). She used a regular brush to brush the grease through and combed it dry. Basically all the things that [we] are now being told not to do.....

I was wondering... natural ladies.... do you grease your scalp? If so, how do you include this into your regimine???

I don't. I haven't greased my scalp since I was 10 or 11 after a teacher dared me to try not doing it. I swore I'd get dandruff and indeed my head itched the first day I didn't grease it. And then I forgot all about it and never looked back.

My hair has never been as long as it is now, so greasing my scalp (or not, considering I stopped many moons ago) didn't really do anything for my hair growth.

The problem with what our mammas did was not that they were greasin our scalps....its what they were greasin our scalps WITH. If you have dry scalp then feel free to get some natural oils and/or butters and make a nice mix to oil your scalp with to keep it lubricated.....I personally don't....I love the feel of a freshly clean and bare scalp....I also have VERY oily skin so its just overkill for what my skin will produce in abundance by day three anyhow.

My mom used to scoop a huge hunk of ultra sheen full of mineral oil and slap that bad boy on my scalp GENEROUSLY:perplexed.....she did what she knew though and she did more good then bad when it came to me hair my hair was still thick and long mostly because all I did was wear those protective styles little girls wear back to back and she was adamant about keeping me natural so all that contributed.

I use oils now occasionally, but when I was younger my mom will use dax grease (green one) and my hair grew long but I would get little bumps on my scalp.

I'm currently transitioning, but I use a mix that my made for me that has EVOO, JBCO, and some other things. I only lightly grease my scalp on day 1 after my wash. When I use it consistently I see impressive growth.

oil on my scalp only ma'am. and even then only when needed. my mom didnt grease my scalp so its a habit i never developed so i struggle with oiling my scalp as its not a routine i'm used to

The problem with what our mammas did was not that they were greasin our scalps....its what they were greasin our scalps WITH. If you have dry scalp then feel free to get some natural oils and/or butters and make a nice mix to oil your scalp with to keep it lubricated.....I personally don't....I love the feel of a freshly clean and bare scalp....I also have VERY oily skin so its just overkill for what my skin will produce in abundance by day three anyhow.

My mom used to scoop a huge hunk of ultra sheen full of mineral oil and slap that bad boy on my scalp GENEROUSLY:perplexed.....she did what she knew though and she did more good then bad when it came to me hair my hair was still thick and long mostly because all I did was wear those protective styles little girls wear back to back and she was adamant about keeping me natural so all that contributed.

I def. agree that it is a matter of what you use to "grease" your scalp. Also, with the combination of protective styles ALL the time, it def. would be the deciding factor...

I'm currently transitioning, but I use a mix that my made for me that has EVOO, JBCO, and some other things. I only lightly grease my scalp on day 1 after my wash. When I use it consistently I see impressive growth.

Sounds great! I was thinking of coming up with my own version of "grease"... Maybe something that contains cocnut oil and peppermint....

I know the peppermint increases circulation....

No, I put an oil, pomade or cream on my hair only. Whatever makes it way to the scalp does, I suppose. I don't have dandruff, or an itchy, dry or flaky scalp.

No, I put an oil, pomade or cream on my hair only. Whatever makes it way to the scalp does, I suppose. I don't have dandruff, or an itchy, dry or flaky scalp.

This is what I do. My mother never greased my scalp. I remember in college so many other black women greased their scalps that I decided to try it. It was not for me. My hair itched terribly. I had to wash that mess out. But for putting it on my hair directly, that was a different story.

my mom used to grease my scalp with that thick blue magic stuff where the first ingredients were mineral oil and petrolatum. i hated the look of my relaxed hair, it was weighed down and greasy and it had no movement whatsoever. now i dont oil my scalp and my hair has never grown as fast as it does now. i have oily skin like BMP so adding anything would be an overkill. i guess it depends on your hair and the individual person but i cant see grease growing hair

i used sulfur 8 and frenchees du gro, very lightly to my edges and lightly on my scalp about 2ce a week.... i notice my hair is gettin thicker and my scalp is healthier... i kinda use the grease to stimulate/conditon my scalp aftr abusing relaxers, maybe later in my journey i will feel my scalp doesnt need it. its working right now, i will be one yr natural dec 15

Sounds great! I was thinking of coming up with my own version of "grease"... Maybe something that contains cocnut oil and peppermint....

I know the peppermint increases circulation....

I put the Revitalizing Hair Balm (from Growth Specifics) on my scalp whenever it itches. I don't really like putting anything on my scalp, so I only use the balm when my hair itches.

It's ironic that you mentioned something that contains coconut oil & peppermint b/c the Revitalizing Hair Balm has both of those ingredients.

I put no, but occasionally when my scalp gets itchy (in braids) I will put a very small amount of Sulfur 8 on it and the itchiness goes away fast. But when my hair is out of braids I'll wash it more often so I don't have the urge to put anything on it.

My sister used to grease her scalp last year with super gro or wild gro, idk I know it was in a jar that said gro. She is relaxed, and her hair grew nicely, she stoped a few months ago, and her hair has gotten shorter, but she is transitioning to natural too, so she's got alot of breakage. :/

I like Softee Hair Food. Ironically, it contains a lot of ingredients ladies here are using for growth like wheat germ and nettle. BTW, I am NOT anti-mineral oil/ petroleum. It's only a dollar.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Wheat Germ Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Paraffin, Herbal Complex (Jaborandi, Nettle, Rosemary, Birch, Burdock, Rosehips, Irishmoss, Coltsfoot, Dandelion, Yellow Dock, Elder Flowers, Brewer's Yeast, Shave Grass, Echinacea, Wild Cherry Bark, Apocynum Cannabinum Root Extract), Fragrance, BHT, Yellow 11.

Last edited:
I put the Revitalizing Hair Balm (from Growth Specifics) on my scalp whenever it itches. I don't really like putting anything on my scalp, so I only use the balm when my hair itches.

It's ironic that you mentioned something that contains coconut oil & peppermint b/c the Revitalizing Hair Balm has both of those ingredients.

Sounds like getting the balm may be easire than making something...

I think grease helped my hair gto grow when I was younger. My mom used that and cholesterol. She would mix it up and apply it to my scalp. My hair was almost waist length. Greasing hair and scalp was sealing moisture into the hair before women knew what sealing was.

Now I use Africa's Best to seal. Now that I have alot of newgrowth I sometimes apply it to my scalp. It's like the dry hair sucks it all up. Any other time I use coconut oil for my roots because it is highly moisturizing.

I'm like other women on the board. I prefer oils and creams to hair grease. I don't like my hair weighed down with alot of product. I also like to touch my hair and don't want to have to wipe my hands on my jeans. And I don't want no shiny neck!!

Aaand....I don't want grease on the side of my face when I wake up in the morning!!!!

I'm okay. I'm okay! I'm just having flashbacks. "And I don't want to sleep on all these hair beads!!" What was this post about again?

Grease makes my scalp itch even more. My mom used to hot comb press with Royal Crown, Blue Magic, Dax, but didn't really use it on my scalp because too much would make me flake and scratch.

IMO it was the minimal styling that gave me a nice head of hair as a kid. It was pressed and in plaits or natural in cornrows all day, every day, between washes.

I just bc'ed this month, and I havent tried grease yet

But, I noticed that the only thing that makes me hair soft, silky, and shiny when straightening is pressing creams, and when I looked at the ingredients, they are just greases.

I dont like to use alot, but if I barely touch my scalp with it, and put most of it on the hair close to the scalp and comb, it makes my hair very lustrious. Or just use a small amount on all of my hair--its a great sealent and I like it.

ETA- I always hated it on my scalp when I was younger, because my mom used alot, and it made my scalp feel hot....I used to love it when they were cold going on though.

Now Im going to go look for a light one that smells good. I like them for edges too.
For growth or benefits to the scalp, it didint do anything positive or negative for me.

Last edited:
Grease makes my scalp flaky, itchy and sore. I would always have this problem before I started real haircare practices.

Now I can oil my scalp and have no issues with it. :yep:

I like Softee Hair Food. Ironically, it contains a lot of ingredients ladies here are using for growth like wheat germ and nettle. BTW, I am NOT anti-mineral oil/ petroleum. It's only a dollar.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Wheat Germ Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Paraffin, Herbal Complex (Jaborandi, Nettle, Rosemary, Birch, Burdock, Rosehips, Irishmoss, Coltsfoot, Dandelion, Yellow Dock, Elder Flowers, Brewer's Yeast, Shave Grass, Echinacea, Wild Cherry Bark, Apocynum Cannabinum Root Extract), Fragrance, BHT, Yellow 11.

I love me some Softee. I use the Indian Hemp. It's the only Softee product I use. My mother uses the Softee Hair Food on her ends. I recently smelled it and the fragrance is too strong for me.

I'm also not a stickler against petroleum/mineral oil. However, I am doing a personal challenge to not use products that contain it just to see if it makes a difference. I'm using castor oil as a substitute.

My favorite natural scalp "grease" is Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade. But I don't purchase stuff like that anymore. I am getting the same effect from using straight castor oil (should be noted that castor oil is the first ingredient in that product).

Back