Naturals (mainly 4's) that wear their hair mostly Straight

brownbean96

How often do you straighten your hair (be it straightening comb or flat-iron)?

Have you seen any damage? Have you experienced any growth?

What's your regimen - do you blow dry first or air dry then flat iron. What products do you use and how does your hair hold up in the summer time or in humidity.

I'm transitioning and would like to try styling my hair straight. I've mostly wore protective styles up until now but I'm starting to get bored:-(.

Last edited:
Great thread OP! I was just about to ask the same questions, i want to transition to natural, but i'd want to wear my hair straight most of the time.

I don't flat iron often ( I think the last time was the beginning of June), but when I do I detangle and twist my hair. The next day I take out the twists and flat iron it. I used Cantu Shea Butter and Avocado oil. My hair did not frizz and was very soft and light. I live in Virginia though, so it is quite dry and I didn't have any problems with humidity.

How often do you straighten your hair (be it straightening comb or flat-iron)?

Have you seen any damage? Have you experienced any growth?

What's your regimen - do you blow dry first or air dry then flat iron. What products do you use and how does your hair hold up in the summer time or in humidity.

I'm transitioning and would like to try styling my hair straight. I've mostly wore protective styles up until now but I'm starting to get bored:-(.

I'm curious about this too because I haven't pressed my hair in a year.

Hopefully we'll get some good responses. I see that a lot of natural women have straight hair in the siggys and I'm so curious to know how often they use heat. I would like to be able to wear my hair straight at times. I have a friend that wears it straight and has experienced tremendous growth but she doesn't wear it kinky - she only wears it straight. I want to be able to do both.

I'm curious about this too because I haven't pressed my hair in a year.

Thanks for replying. I'm thinking of skipping a step of heat (blow drying) and allowing my hair to air dry as well. I flat ironed my hair early on in my transition and it came out really nice since I've only gotten it completely straight by going to a dominican shop and they use to much direct heat with the blow dryer for me. So I'd like to do the process myself - with some good advice hopeully.

I don't flat iron often ( I think the last time was the beginning of June), but when I do I detangle and twist my hair. The next day I take out the twists and flat iron it. I used Cantu Shea Butter and Avocado oil. My hair did not frizz and was very soft and light. I live in Virginia though, so it is quite dry and I didn't have any problems with humidity.

Pinkskates is natural and wears her hair straight most of the time. She now has her own website and videos on straightening hair with a pressing comb and flat-iron.

Pinkskates is natural and wears her hair straight most of the time. She now has her own website and videos on straightening hair with a pressing comb and flat-iron.

She's a good example. Are there any others that are having success??

I am natural and straighten my hair weekly. I have done this all my life. However, I do suffer from split ends. I just realized that my problem is retaining length (especially during the detangling process). So as of two weeks ago, I started a new regimen. I prepoo with eggs and conditioner for a couple of hours. I then shampoo and deep condition (with heat). Mositurize, then seal with serum and blow dry with the denman brush. I use the phusion flat iron and I'm done. I just realized that protein is the secret for naturals that straighten frequently (at least for me it is). HTH.

If I didn't get as much split ends as I do because of straightening my hair, I would probably wear it straight the majority of the time. Heat kills my ends no matter how much heat protectant I use. Good luck though!

I just texturized two weeks ago, but pressed every week for a year. My hair is pretty long. I have posted pics with my natural hair pressed, and I will try and attach some more.

Really, hmmm - thats not good. I'll have to seriously think about it and maybe not do it as often as I would like. Thanks for sharing.

If I didn't get as much split ends as I do because of straightening my hair, I would probably wear it straight the majority of the time. Heat kills my ends no matter how much heat protectant I use. Good luck though!

I believe there is a girl on here naimes AijaP who straightens her hair every 2 weeks and she is past bsl. Another person who was talking about straightening more often is the girl who ran the bootcamp last year. Her name has slipped my mind.

How did your hair hold up in heat and humidity when you were pressed? Thanks for sharing

I just texturized two weeks ago, but pressed every week for a year. My hair is pretty long. I have posted pics with my natural hair pressed, and I will try and attach some more.

There is a woman i work with who it natural and she straightens every week. All that heat has ruined her hair though:sad::sad: I can see that heat damage clearly.

Hi! I'm a natural that wears her hair straight. I get it straightened every two weeks and I was at APL (but I've had a SHS setback). I've never had a relaxer in my life but I do have heat damage. I am going to try to wet bun to grow the damage out and only press my hair once a month. My ends will curl but my roots stay pretty straight after a wash and DC.

Sorry I just realized I didn't answer any of your questions.

How often do you straighten your hair (be it straightening comb or flat-iron)? every two weeks for the past three years (reducing to once a month).

Have you seen any damage? Have you experienced any growth? I went from NL to APL in 3 years (If you can call that growth!). I was leaving it up to my stylist to maintain though. I've since taken control of my own hair. I have heat damage but I just recently had damage to my ends (this led me to LHCF).

My hair holds up fine in the humidity but maybe because its "trained". I usually air dry until like 70-80% then blow dry then flat iron. That is likely the cause of my super straight roots.

Back