NATURALS IN A PROFESSIONAL WORLD

Choclatcotton

HI ladies I am a 4a natural and work as a Teachers Aide in a professional evironment, I get looks comments stares, touches, glares from other professionals. Also it doesnt help that I live in an predominately small White Republican town. I feel like Im really going against the grain. My most opposistion is from other Blk professionals on the job. What have you experienced as a natural professional??????

Are the people causing the most ruckus in a position above you where they can affect your money?

If so, tone it down a bit, i.e., low buns, braids, twists as opposed to a freeform afro/bantu knots

If not, f*** 'em.

Take an assessment and see if the people who matter(people who can promote you) are the ones giving you problems. If they are cool, then you are cool. But if it's just random S.O.B spouting off at the mouth or cutting their eyes then it's politically acceptable to address and squash drama with people who are at your level or below.

HI ladies I am a 4a natural and work as a Teachers Aide in a professional evironment, I get looks comments stares, touches, glares from other professionals. Also it doesnt help that I live in an predominately small White Republican town. I feel like Im really going against the grain. My most opposistion is from other Blk professionals on the job. What have you experienced as a natural professional??????
HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!!!!
I am a teacher with a BAA!! Most of the time I wear it is braids and black beads like in my pic but when I take out the braids I let it loose honey! I don't care if people stare or point because i can't see what's in my periphrial!:lachen: A lot of the black teachers think I'm brave...to have the nerve to be....i don't me.. So they always compliment me.
I did have an asian TA say to me last year "now what's going on with this hair." I told her, this is the way my hair grow natually she said "but it's crazy" I told I like it... and that was the end of that. No one can tell me to not do it cuz that would just be a LARGE law suit. Some times I have some of my little students (I'm a music teacher I see the whole school) say you look funny depending upon my mood I might say "That's not very nice" or "Well I think I look really nice" OR ...."Not funnier than you.":lachen::nono:
But you know what people are starting to get used to it and I'm starting to get a lot more compliments than negative remarks. It must be shocking at first but I carry it in a very dignified way and I am very proud of my hair and people can see my confidence. I feel like the confidence almost convinces people who were skeptical that yes it is beautiful.

Are the people causing the most ruckus in a position above you where they can affect your money?

If so, tone it down a bit, i.e., low buns, braids, twists as opposed to a freeform afro/bantu knots

If not, f*** 'em.

Take an assessment and see if the people who matter(people who can promote you) are the ones giving you problems. If they are cool, then you are cool. But if it's just random S.O.B spouting off at the mouth or cutting their eyes then it's politically acceptable to address and squash drama with people who are at your level or below.
That's discrimenation and I would be the first one to calling the N-double A TO the C To the P for ya!

But you know what people are starting to get used to it and I'm starting to get a lot more compliments than negative remarks. It must be shocking at first but I carry it in a very dignified way and I am very proud of my hair and people can see my confidence. I feel like the confidence almost convinces people who were skeptical that yes it is beautiful.

Yes, ITA that how you carry it makes all the difference. :yep:

...."Not funnier than you.":lachen::nono:

There you go!

The few times co-workers have said something negative about my hair (and it's never been a manager or someone who signs my check), I ask, "How do you think yours looks to me?" They NEVER answer - just look nervous. Chickenhearted $%&#'s!

I am in a predominately white firm, my comments come from my counterparts in Atlanta and they are all white.

I do not understand it but this one white woman continually says something about my hair every time she see me. It was really bad one night we were all have dinner at a very private club and she said across the table....What are you doing with your hair tomorrow?

Now I am the ONLY black in the room so you know there were gasps, loud sighing and silverware dropping. The room got deathly quiet, I looked over at her and in my most direct "I will cut you faster than you can say your name" look told her, I don't know it depends on what I feel like when I get up in the morning. Then I gave her that glaring stare that WE supposedly are famous for and you would have thought I had just slapped her across the face.

I am not a confrontational person by any means, but calling me out like that in front of my colleagues I had to let her and everyone at that table know if you say something to me about my hair you are going to pay for it.

I am too far on this side of 30 to be dealing with peoples ignorance about black hair in the workforce. As long as it is neat, clean and meets the firm standards for hair, back up off of me.

For the most part I get glowing compliments, because the one thing I am not constant about is the same hair styles. Every time people see me at work they take a double take because I am always changing my hairstyle, it is my creative side, since I don't have time to paint, do artwork, crochet or anything else right now my hair is my creative expression.

I am in a predominately white firm, my comments come from my counterparts in Atlanta and they are all white.

I do not understand it but this one white woman continually says something about my hair every time she see me. It was really bad one night we were all have dinner at a very private club and she said across the table....What are you doing with your hair tomorrow?

Now I am the ONLY black in the room so you know there were gasps, loud sighing and silverware dropping. The room got deathly quiet, I looked over at her and in my most direct "I will cut you faster than you can say your name" look told her, I don't know it depends on what I feel like when I get up in the morning. Then I gave her that glaring stare that WE supposedly are famous for and you would have thought I had just slapped her across the face.

I am not a confrontational person by any means, but calling me out like that in front of my colleagues I had to let her and everyone at that table know if you say something to me about my hair you are going to pay for it.

I am too far on this side of 30 to be dealing with peoples ignorance about black hair in the workforce. As long as it is neat, clean and meets the firm standards for hair, back up off of me.

For the most part I get glowing compliments, because the one thing I am not constant about is the same hair styles. Every time people see me at work they take a double take because I am always changing my hairstyle, it is my creative side, since I don't have time to paint, do artwork, crochet or anything else right now my hair is my creative expression.
Me too! It throws people off...and then I think.."wow, you're the sad ones...can't figure anything else to do with your hair but get a style cut into it or wear a pony":nono: too bad soo sad Don't hate me because I'm a black women with options!

I work in antitrust law which is predominantly white male environment. I meet with CEOs and other high level executives and corporate counsels of huge corporations on a consistent basis. I wear my hair in a puff, twist-outs, or twists ocassionally I wear it straight. I never get any negative feedback about my hair or weird looks. In fact I just left a meeting about 15 minutes ago with some execs rocking my puff and my suit :grin:

My co-workers only give compliments. They think every new style is a cut :lachen: "Oh I really like your new hair cut" In reality, I just went from pressed hair to two-strand twists. LOL No negative feedback from my black co-workers either...I work in a really supportive environment. I live in DC so natural hair is very much the norm...so I guess Im just fortunate.

However, Im about to start interviewing for new positions and how to wear my hair is a major concern :ohwell: I decided that Im going to wear a bun so that my full naturalness wont be seen in all its glory until the ink is dry and Im hired....do whatcha gotta do!!

That's discrimenation and I would be the first one to calling the N-double A TO the C To the P for ya!

Call the NAACP? For what?

Did you read the part where she said it's OTHER BLACK PEOPLE making comments about her hair?

Can you imagine the NAACP taking a case on black on black discrimination?

I personally don't see it happening.

I have been natural for five years. When I first bc'd, I rocked two strand twists, some done and some undone for texture. I worked for a conservative financial co. and no one said a word.

I moved overseas for a few years, where my hair flourished and was admired. When I got back last year, I worried about how I would wear my hair as I began to search for a new job. I wear two strand twists that are just shoulder length. I decided that my hair is neat and well groomed, I would wear it as I always do. I landed a job in the banking industry -- conservative, as you know. No one said a word about my hair.

If you are well groomed and confident, and your hair is not a problem for you, it should not be a problem for anyone else.

Thanks for the responses ladies, so nice to know im not alone. Anyway I dont plan on changing anytime soon. I did have a positive comment from a little red haired girl 2nd grade, she said , "Ms. L, your hair is wicked!":lachen: I took that as a compliment. I usually wear my hair in braid out french roll twisted up and off my neck.

Back