5 Hair Blogger Falsehoods, Debunked by a Professional Cosmetologist

Nice & Wavy those same professionals are mad at the relaxed ladies too! :lol:

Although most of the women I know are natural, the ones who are relaxed are self-relaxers. I was the last one to jump on the self-relaxing wagon. Listening to professional stylists for most of my life had me so afraid to try it. I just KNEW I'd melt off all of my hair.

Welp, I've been doing my own relaxers for 2 years now and I have more hair than ever. I cowash every other day as well.

So glad I fired my stylist and let go of that perpetual SL wimpy hair! :yep:

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

I've met her before! She asked about my regimen and if I would be interested in flat ironing. I politely declined although I believe she is a nice lady with good intentions. The general tone of the article is not the way she interacted with me.

Posters on LHCF/ Nappturality/ Curltalk and other hair boards are the minority who research techniques, products, tools, and their usage extensively. The methods we use work for each of us because we've done the trial and error; some heads of hair don't have that benefit, and I see this article speaking moreso to them.

@sunnieb, guess they just gonna have be mad at us then:lol:

Your hair is fabulous! If I ever decide to relax again, then I know I will come to you to help me:yep:. At least I have a choice now...I can be a healthy natural or I can be a healthy relaxed woman!!!

@Nice & Wavy those same professionals are mad at the relaxed ladies too! :lol:

Although most of the women I know are natural, the ones who are relaxed are self-relaxers. I was the last one to jump on the self-relaxing wagon. Listening to professional stylists for most of my life had me so afraid to try it. I just KNEW I'd melt off all of my hair.

Welp, I've been doing my own relaxers for 2 years now and I have more hair than ever. I cowash every other day as well.

So glad I fired my stylist and let go of that perpetual SL wimpy hair! :yep:

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

I am still learning about all this hair stuff but I do know that some of the stuff that she says is bad for you is actually working for me.

I stopped shampoo'ing my hair a LONG time ago (at least a year before i came here). I started cowashing early last year and even though I flat ironed daily, washed weekly I still retained most of my growth (went from TWA twice in Feb and March to NL in the longest layers by December/Jan).
Its been a challenge but, been working for me esp since I have been doing the CG method and using stuff that doesnt have all those extra chemicals. Plus there are a lot of natural alternatives to shampoo's you can use (Which I think are ACV and Baking Soda) that do the same thing as shampoo (and which I plan to start trying soon).

Part of me feels like its a ploy to get people to continue to go to stylists. Mostly because all you would SEE in a salon is black women getting their hair done, now that number has dwindled and the amount of women who are learning how to take care of their own hair is cutting into the amount of women who come into their salon. I think its also a ploy to get people to buy pairs of product (shampoo and conditioner and whatever else) because in the end its more money if you buy the supplement of their product than if you don't).

I do think its a problem though when ALL these women who found out their regimen think its applicable to everyone....get on blogs and youtube and tell people that they HAVE to do this specific thing for their hair...I think thats where the problem comes in...And there is still use misconceptions that the old ways of doing hair work (wet ur hair then put blue magic on top, relax every 4-6 weeks, and wash your hair only as often).

So I do agree with MissMusic though, some things work for others and some things dont. I have had bad results with shampoo's and find that cowashing, green housing and washing daily up to 3 times a week, works for me and my lowpo hair (which i think is genetic for me). I have found that the best moisture for me is water first and foremost and good quality products that help push the water in and leave it there.

For the same amount of white women who wash their hair daily there is the same about of black women who wash daily...just as there are white women who wash 2-3 times a week, or even once a week (or I know someone who washes once a month!) and there are black women who do the same. There is such variety in our hair regardless of race that I dont think these blanket statements apply to everyone. So I think its wrong of her to say that her list of 'myths' is wrong for EVERYONE. Especially since like someone said before there are lots of ladies rockin WL and beyond who have used these "myths" on their hair.

Last edited:
I've met her before! She asked about my regimen and if I would be interested in flat ironing. I politely declined although I believe she is a nice lady with good intentions. The general tone of the article is not the way she interacted with me.

Posters on LHCF/ Nappturality/ Curltalk and other hair boards are the minority who research techniques, products, tools, and their usage extensively. The methods we use work for each of us because we've done the trial and error; some heads of hair don't have that benefit, and I see this article speaking moreso to them.

Ive met her as well. And she did my mothers and a coworkers locs. Unprofessional on multiple occasions. And she rants on and on all over Facebook about the "amateurs". I was just laughing at something condescending she said recently. Her salon isnt bad, just tiny. No comment on her opinions in this article. We have ours, she has hers. Live and let live. And stop judging my damn reggie lol

I have no problem with what she said; afterall, bad haircare advice has been a part of our community since well before the pressing-comb came out.

As a former "duster" I'll just let that opinion miss me.

Haircare, like hair styles, is not a one-size-fit-all process. What works for some doesn't for others.

(how much time do cosmetologist spend learing how to take care of african american natural hair? How much time to they spend practicing on "straight" hair?. :popcorn: )

Last edited:
Oh my my my.:nono: One size definitely does not fit all <---#1 haircare lesson.

**does a rare hair flip**, walks out to the lobby and finds the ladies standing at the popcorn popper - joins them :beer::popcorn::lachen:.

Trims every 3-5 months is adequate it really depends on the head of hair and techniques/reggies used to maintain it as well as hair type/texture/density. most of what i learned to maintain my hair my stylist didn't teach me washing in sections, using more protein as opposed to moisture,and washing in sections.

I do think color should be left to the pros there are too many processes and probabilities to be considered with color.

With the rise of social media, stylists are going to have to step up their game and do their home work via hair forums, yt vids and hair blogs. Once you get your license the learning doesn't stop. They also need to be trying many of the products we use from varying vendors so they can figure who it suits best. Also with the natural movement many don't feel the need to visit a stylist every 1-2 weeks even if they can afford it. Hair stylists and the mediocrity is not being settled for anymore.

On the flipside, a yt guru who has long hair and does varying things doesn't guarantee the same outcome. With varying camera lenses and lighting you can't tell whether someone is your hair twin nor is it really relevant. you can't see ones porosity on a TV/Computer screen and dryness issues can be slathered with oils to mimic shine/moisture. All the things I learned to step up my hair game I learned from type 2-3b and 4b-c and I'm a cottony 3c-4a. Yters are essentially marketing themselves as a brand and promoting products for the most part and people need to realize that. For the most part YT is 60% entertainment/40% education for me (which leads to me reading more books and doing additional research). We live in a quick fix microwave society where no one wants to do the research and read a book. In watching yt some of these folks are mistakenly giving ppl wrong/misinformed info. When they branch out into other areas it becomes more problematic because yt gurus are revered like celebrities. For instance there is a yt who does wigs and fashion and now she's branched out into cooking....she's telling ppl that her hubby is veggie (he eats fish which is flesh so he's pesecatarian), feeding him gmo food ( soy veggies burgers from boca & morningstar) and telling ppl you can eat chicken,turkey, and fish and be veggie. She's also telling ppl processed foods are healthy. Ppl are looking up to her and seeing whatever she says as truth, which is problematic.

I think this is her salon. I like her work with locs and she has healthy looking locs too. noiredesignconcepts.com
As for her advice. Meh. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, cowashing and shampoo washing weekly and all.

ETA: Also, trimming every 6-8 weeks is probably the worse advice for someone who it trying to grow out their hair. If they have a routine that is working for them there shouldn't be a need to trim that often usually. If they are dusting at home that's fine but stylist are well known for cutting too much so it will only led to frustration when it seem like they have retained nothing.

Last edited:
In general I tend to agree with this lady...but some conditioners can actually cleanse the hair, some do have surfactants but it's not all of them. I don't cowash but if I did, I would make sure there is something that actually cleanses. Cowashing can dissolve oil, one just has to have a little understanding of ingredients and what they do, most importantly what they don't do.

I also see what she means about bloggers/YT. I prefer the informational channels that focus more on texture/porosity/density and what works depending on it. NOT the "here's how you do a washngo on natural hair!" as if their method will work on everybody. It really sucks being a new natural because one falls for it all, one has no idea.

All that said, cosmetologists and hair stylists missed their chance. They never educated us, they wanna act like they know about hair properties now but why didn't they inform us? Well...we're informed now, don't blame us for sticking to who and what taught us. It certainly wasn't them. Sure we're not perfect and we will make mistakes but as if they are...pfft, seat for this lady, please.

Random question: IS there a "safe" way to add permanent hair color to natural hair? Even if you stick with a good shampooing/moisturizing routine?

I do take issue with her delivery above all else. She is making blanket assumptions about how we care for our hair and our attitudes around it.

1. Cowashing - It doesn't work for me exclusively (still need to shampoo), but there are so many women with 3a - 4c hair that cowashing saved. Even some large cosmetic companies are recognizing that now.

2. Dusting - Trimming my hair every 6 weeks would probably leave me with about 2" retained a year. My hair does not grow 1/2" month (more like 1/4) so dusting/trimming has to be deliberate and planned.

3. Permanent hair color - I do agree with her there.

4. GHE - Actually GHE and deep conditioning are actually two separate things. GHE is not used with conditioner.

5. Shampoo once a week - I just realized my shedding is caused by NOT shampooing my scalp at least weekly. My scalp wasn't getting cleansed with cowashing and cleansing conditioners. Also with constantly sweating (exercising) I have to make sure my scalp and clean.

technically one thing she thinks is cutting really is dusting. She recommends 1/4 an inch ever 2 months. That's not a bad cut. Only problem is the "hairstylist's" version of 1/4 an inch is usually an inch or more. They think they are cutting the bare minimum but most really are NOT.

Exactly. Her idea of cutting is what I've seen most people call dusting, which is why I LOL at her note to hit her up for references to get your hair cut. Nope, I prefer to do it myself because I know EXACTLY how much I want cut. No arguing about how much 1/4 of an inch really is. :lol:

The only argument I agreed with was coloring at home. I am still fairly new to being natural, and I would never do such a procedure on my own, knowing I don't have a full grasp of my hair and its behaviors.

Everything else, eh, I'll stick with what's working for now.

I agree! I was afraid to even henna at first so I know there's no way I would risk any other type of coloring. I don't even think people who have never relaxed should try that on their own for the first time without any experience.

I don't think there's anything wrong with hearing what professionals have to say, but there's disagreements among even the professionals. With hair there are some rules that would work almost across the board but a lot of it seems to be a YMMV situation. There's just so many factors that vary that the rules are more like general guidelines to get you started on finding your way.

In general I tend to agree with this lady.. but some conditioners can actually cleanse the hair, some do have surfactants but it's not all of them. I don't cowash but if I did, I would make sure there is something that actually cleanses. Cowashing can dissolve oil, one just has to have a little understanding of ingredients and what they do, most importantly what they don't do.

The bold applies to just about everything related to hair care! It's important to know why and how certain things work for some people instead of just thinking it'll work for you too. Sometimes things will work for you too, but the method just needs to change to fit your hair.

And that is exactly what I heard when I first learned about cowashing. Cowashing gives you a bit of cleansing, but not something as harsh as a shampoo because there's some cleansing agents in conditioners. :yep: You do risk product build up from cowashing, which is why most people don't completely give up shampooing for cowashing.

Sure we're not perfect and we will make mistakes but as if they are...pfft, seat for this lady, please.

:lol:

I used to wash my hair 3 times a week with a sulfate shampoo when I first started my hhj. She knows darn well she wouldn't turn anybody down if they wanted to come to her for a wash and set 2 or 3 times a week:rolleyes:.

It takes all kinds on this site and I for one enjoyed her post. I may not listen to everything she said but like danceontheskylines said, I will keep what I need and spit out the rest. Thank you for taking the time to type all that up. You obvioulsy are concerned for us. Some will agree and some will not... But I accept your post with love.

Thank you again!

Ive met her as well. And she did my mothers and a coworkers locs. Unprofessional on multiple occasions. And she rants on and on all over Facebook about the "amateurs". I was just laughing at something condescending she said recently. Her salon isnt bad, just tiny. No comment on her opinions in this article. We have ours, she has hers. Live and let live. And stop judging my damn reggie lol

To the bolded...........see it's this right here that discredits so many of these so called professionals. If you gone bring it then bring it all.

I agree with many of the previous posts. She's giving me that " Woman Scorned" vibe.... :look: It sounds like the same craziness I've heard from other cosmetologists whose pockets have been hit by women going natural....I do agree with the hair coloring bit but....I, for one, am not sorry that I don't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to sit in the beauty shop for hours and hours....I'd much rather hook my hair up in the comforts of my home :yep:

I agree with many of the previous posts. She's giving me that " Woman Scorned" vibe.... :look: It sounds like the same craziness I've heard from other cosmetologists whose pockets have been hit by women going natural....I do agree with the hair coloring bit but....I, for one, am not sorry that I don't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to sit in the beauty shop for hours and hours....I'd much rather hook my hair up in the comforts of my home :yep:

And Amen to that! Karma is ****** and it looks like these stylists are getting their payback.

If I was there when she said this I would have said thank you for sharing, but what works for one may or may not work for another so to paint a broad brush and say that what is being said in the YT community is missinformation is just not going to cut it.

There are too many hair journeys shown that are successful with what she deems as not. I do admit I give salon stylist a loong side eye though unless I know your work with natural hair, ie. Reniece and some of our stytlists on this site. So I will say I consider what most of them say suspect.

She must spit at the TV when she see WEN commercials and throw a shoe in the Sally's aisle that has cowashing products. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I can see now why she says washing your hair once a week is too much... it looks from her page she mainly does locs. they do not wash their hair that often. as for free flowing hair can be washed as much as you want to and dryness can be as simple as protein. not because you are wetting it too much. water is never harmful for your hair.

If I was there when she said this I would have said thank you for sharing, but what works for one may or may not work for another so to paint a broad brush and say that what is being said in the YT community is missinformation is just not going to cut it.

There are too many hair journeys shown that are successful with what she deems as not. I do admit I give salon stylist a loong side eye though unless I know your work with natural hair, ie. Reniece and some of our stytlists on this site. So I will say I consider what most of them say suspect.

She must spit at the TV when she see WEN commercials and throw a shoe in the Sally's aisle that has cowashing products. :ohwell:

Throw a shoe tho lol

So no cowashing and yet shampoos are out? What if you workout everyday? Rinse with water or use sulfate free everyday? That's my biggest confusion with this post. Others in other ethnicities use sulfate shampoo everyday.

How can a fresh dose of moisture everyday make ur hair dry?

Hmm idk lol.

Not buying it.

Who has damage from co washing? Professional dyes in the hands of the average consumer is no more damaging than those boxed dyes.

When I first started my hhj (only because I had discovered this site) and learned how to properly take care of my hair, it grew and was revived from the world of dryness. With a lot of trial and error, I've found what works for me. Just as a lot of you ladies have found what works for you :yep:

I will saying that one of the main things that has helped my hair tremendously is cowashing and for her to bash it like it does is a bit unfair.

I've recently incorporated dusting into my regimen, because that's what MY hair requires. But I don't have to see a stylist to cut off the hair that I believe needs to go. It's not rocket science and in my experience, the stylists that I have encountered always want to cut 3 and 4 inches off :nono:

I don't color my hair so this slot of info doesn't pertain to me, but I do agree with the one poster who said that it has the potential to be dangerous even in the hands of "professional" stylists.

Deep conditioning with a cap or Green House Effect. I don't see what the big deal is. We all know that heat either from a hooded dryer, steamer, or the scalp help product to penetrate the hair. I'll keep doing what I do.

And on the topic of shampooing. Again, I think her comments are more of a generalization. But as we know here on the site (this is starting to become repetitive) what works for one person might not work for another.

I'm not sure if she's trying to help and give out information or if she's just ranting in a civilized manner. In any case, do what works for you :drunk:

Oh my my my.:nono: One size definitely does not fit all <---#1 haircare lesson.

**does a rare hair flip**, walks out to the lobby and finds the ladies standing at the popcorn popper - joins them :beer::popcorn::lachen:.
Thank you for your post....your hair isn't this long and healthy for nothing...you know what you are talking about!!!:yep:

All that said, cosmetologists and hair stylists missed their chance. They never educated us, they wanna act like they know about hair properties now but why didn't they inform us? Well...we're informed now, don't blame us for sticking to who and what taught us. It certainly wasn't them. Sure we're not perfect and we will make mistakes but as if they are...pfft, seat for this lady, please.

:clapping:

Girl you said it.. Remember when they would deliberately turn you away from the mirror so you couldn't see what they were doing? And every bottle on their table was plain with the labels torn off.. Remember??? :lol:

Back