Naturals! I need help!!

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
I am texturized, but my hair is still very coarse. Whenever I wet it, it becomes very kinky and tight like an afro. I don't mind that, but I need help with moisturizing it. It seems like no matter what products I put on it after I wash it, my hair is always dry, dry, dry after it's finished airdrying. What are some good products I can use to make sure my hair is soft and moisturized when I airdry it?

I conditioner wash often and moisturize with shea butter and aloe vera gel. Vegetable oil & water work well on my hair too.

I agree with Mecca. Also, I think your hair may need what I call some, " Greenhouse time." By that I mean, you may want to put the oils suggested by Mecca and then put a shower cap over your head for an hour or overnight. My hair is super dupa dry. I like to put on my oils and then use the cap. It helps to not only keep the moisture in, but the heat from my head creates more moisture.

Chicoro said:
I agree with Mecca. Also, I think your hair may need what I call some, " Greenhouse time." By that I mean, you may want to put the oils suggested by Mecca and then put a shower cap over your head for an hour or overnight. My hair is super dupa dry. I like to put on my oils and then use the cap. It helps to not only keep the moisture in, but the heat from my head creates more moisture.

My hair needs "greenhouse time" also. I especially do this during the winter months. It helps out tremendously, I also let my hair air dry in braids, because if I let it air dry loose, I won't be able to comb through it.

MissDiva said:
My hair needs "greenhouse time" also. I especially do this during the winter months. It helps out tremendously, I also let my hair air dry in braids, because if I let it air dry loose, I won't be able to comb through it.
I do the "greenhouse" thing once in a while too with my fav conditioner. I also air dry in twists or else me & my hair will be sorry! :look:

Are you conditioner washing it?
If you aren't you should, it could help wit hthe moisture.

Also, Adding a little olive, coconut, or jojoba oil and shea butter to your conditioner will help.

And I agree with the shea butter and aloe vera gel, I'm going to try that. Other than using a good thick butter (shea, shealoe,coconut) or rich oil (jojoba, grapeseed) mixed together will give you better moisture because your hair is thick. And because you hair is thick you should use butters,rich oils and cremes to moisturize after washing and stay away from airdrying unless it's styled, braided or twsited or even sectioned into buns. A cheap solution is Wild Growth Oil it's great for detangling. All you need is a quarter size, it instantly moisterizes! HTH

Last edited:
I was wondering if you use a no lyr texturizer. I read that it causes hair to be dry. :ohwell: I love the answers everyone gave. I'll have to try this on my nat. hair. :yep:

I'm not a natural, but I want to testify to the fact that the greenhouse does wonders.

I have a question:

What do you wo with your hair after you've finished with it being under the cap?

Back