Naturals I have a Question

NAPPtural

Naturals ladies....do any of you roller set? If so how? what are the results? and what do you use? How do you keep it from frizzing? well my main question is before all those is Can naturals do a roller set? Does it still shrink the hair? What rollers are good to use?

Thanks to all who shed light
smile.gif

~Napptural~

Hi Napptural,

I copied this from my thread Wowsers! I did a rollerset:

Azul this is what I did:

1. Washed hair with Creme of Nature shampoo (modified curly girl routine, I conditioner wash 3 times and then the 4 shampoo is with shampoo).

2. Use Sauve Biobasics conditioner leave in for 3 minutes and then I washed out.

3. Jumped out of the shower and rushed straight to the sink to get to work (don't even try to think of how crazy I looked).

I parted my hair into 6 sections. I did a Mr. T mowhawk first, and then I sectioned my hair is 4 sections (sides by ear and the back).

I got out the lottabody cream wrap, and my trusty wildgrowth hair oil.

I started with the mohawk section and parted my hair in one inch sections. I then put a finger scoop size of creme on my end (if you have a relaxer you won't need as much, because my hair is curly wavy frizzy). I took a boar bristle brush brushed my hair so that it was straight, and then I took the purple rollers and rolled my hair taught.

I then repeated that process for my entire head. The snap on rollers worked well for me. I did get dents, but with the other rollers I have with no tops, I couldn't even finish my whole head before I would give up in frustration.

I had between 25-35 rollers in my head all together. I sat under a soft bonnet dryer (that's when I was here playing yesterday) for an hour and a half.

I was interrupted because my boyfriend wanted me to pick him up for work (his car's on the fritz) so I went out and got him in my rollers .

Unfortunately I was hungry so when we got back to our place, I took out the rollers and tried to rush so I could eat. My hair wasn't completely dry on the top so it was puffy.

It took me 45 minutes to rollerset my hair.

I hope that helps some.

Thnaks for your routine.
If you hair was dry would it came out puffy?
and the purple rollers where can someone get those at? are they soft or hard?

Thanks

I rollerset my hair after I wash, but I don't use a dryer. I just plait my hair into a bunch of tiny braids while it is still wet. I saturate each section with moisturizing lotion or Let's Jam gel before braiding it, though, which stretches it out. Then I take sponge rollers, toss the sponges somewhere, then roll my little braids around the skinny rod. Then I sleep with it rolled up & in the morning I carefully separate with my fingers. It looks really smooth & curly. I also do this to my hair when it is dry, but it doesn't usually come out smooth. It just helps with the shrinkage factor.

I basically do the same thing as skegeesmb...
If your hair is not completely wet when you roll it and then completely dry when you unroll it, you will get frizzy hair. For natural hair the thicker the setting lotion the better. That's why I swear by Lottabody Creme. When I was relaxed I could get away with just water or a spray leave-in. The cream helps my ends cling to the rollers. I got my purple rollers at a Korean hair shop. Sally's only sells up to a certain size(usually pink). I also have success if I use a temporary straightnening balm(I use KMS Flat Out...it's expensive though). Sometimes I just use this when I'm dooing a doobie and apply it after I rollerset, before wrapping it and getting back under the dryer for another 10 minutes.

When my hair is dry it is completely straight except for about an inch of hair. That dries crinkly because my hair is thick, but I can take either a curling iron or flat iron to straighten it a bit. It doesn't take much. As for the rollers, I buy mine at a Korean shop, and they are hard rollers with the tops included.

i know i might be a little late but my mom used to roller set my hair all the time when it was natural.
i would wash and condition well (most of the time deep condition). then i'd put a heat protectant in my hair, section by section. then my mom would rollerset it but NOT use the clips, cause if you use the clips on natural hair your roots won't be straight. you have to use bobby pins so there is some tension in your hair but of course the roller should not be too tight. then i would sit under a soft bonnet dryer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. my hair was always nice looking, my mom did it the best. i think the clips are only good if your hair is straight already and you want to roller set. i would also advise you to use a serum so it won't frizz up, and after i took the rollers out and combed through i added some oil so i don't have that fly away hair. i used to love my hair like that. stupid stupid me.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
NAY007 said:
i know i might be a little late but my mom used to roller set my hair all the time when it was natural.

[/ QUOTE ]
My Mom did the same thing. I then learned how to do it myself. My first relaxer was when I was 20.

Back