Naturals I have a few questions??

bluediamond0829

Okay so as you can see up in my avatar it looks like i have a little twa going on there.

My first question is i havent relaxed in about 6 1/2 months i have mostly alot of new growth a few strands not many of straight hair still left from when i had a relaxer does it take longer for some to transition and shorter times for others? I guess what im trying to figure out is if im all the way natural now? Or do i still need to keep cutting.

And this is my last question for the twa wearers and naturals how did you build up the confidence to wear your natural hair out in the public? I thought about maybe going to get some comb coils done just to see how they may look on me.

Okay so as you can see up in my avatar it looks like i have a little twa going on there.

My first question is i havent relaxed in about 6 1/2 months i have mostly alot of new growth a few strands not many of straight hair still left from when i had a relaxer does it take longer for some to transition and shorter times for others? I guess what im trying to figure out is if im all the way natural now? Or do i still need to keep cutting.

And this is my last question for the twa wearers and naturals how did you build up the confidence to wear your natural hair out in the public? I thought about maybe going to get some comb coils done just to see how they may look on me.

I can't really see your avatar too great but you look natural to me.

I went natural back in high school. One day I just went out in an afro puff. I transitioned in braids. I guess being natural in Atlanta wasn't a big deal.

**edit** I see you are in Atlanta. There are so many naturals around just get up and go, hehe! Maybe you should get your TWA professionally trimmed and styled? And then you can keep it up from there.

Hey girl,

If you still have straight hairs, then you are not completly natural but 99%!

I remember when my hair was shorter after I transitioned (I cut it in stages because I was a coward). I just wore it in twists and sucked it up.

Really really proud of you. It's not easy but it sure pays off. I love my natural hair!

Your twa looks good :grin:
Being in AZ, there are sooo few natural heads out here but I just wear mine like it ain't no big deal. Wear a pretty scarf or accentuate your hair with a flower or bow or something to change it up.
Sometimes though, I just throw on a wig...it keeps people guessing lol
Just keep on doing what you're doing:grin:

Thank you ladies for your response. Yea i was thinking about getting it trimmed up or going to Balisi to get some comb coils done.

Yea thats true im not completely natural for those couple of strings. i might just go ahead and clip them :) since its not going to make that much of a difference.

I'd cut off the straight ends unless you can still ponytail it. I did my BC on a Friday night...Saturday I got all dressed cute and when to the mall...I was nervous about work but I just opened the door and walked out. That was me take it or leave it.
My first day with a TWA went WAAAYYY better than I thought it would. Don't let that little voice tell you that you should get some braids or do a wig...You are beautiful Sista.

You ever notice that folks don't mind if you cut your hair short with a relaxer...but when you cut it to go natural its some big thing? Just think of it as a haircut b/c at the end of the day...it really is. Lol

I haven't done anything fancy with my TWA right now...comb coils are super cute!!

I transition for 6 months hated it and went and chopped it all off - twice- because the stylist couldn't bear to leave me with no kind of bang so I had to get the scissors and cut that too and just went out there, no wigs no twist no thing. just me. it was getting warmer and it was the perfect time to do it. It wasn't easy. No one I knew was natural, I got a lot of stares and people were not really nice, plus I did not put make up on either, I don't normally wear it, so I didn't start to. My sister was my worst critic she complained how dry it looked and how I needed to do this or that. I ignored her. I refuse to hide, I decided that I can do it and I did and now its over. Would I do it again, I would not want to but I would do it. I love being natural. All I need is water and I can completely change my hair style.

well actually never have been able to ponytail it i just went from a short do into transitioning. This was the best transition because the first one i did i didnt know what to do and my hair broke off so bad. I transitioned for 4 months and then went and got it relaxed the last time.

This time im dealing more so closely with my texture and learning what works for me such as cowashing. So i think i got myself more mentally prepared this time.

So i think i would be okay with wearing my twa because ive worn short hairdos for most of last year.

I think even my mom is happy for me because she's telling me what to use and that she will bring me some of her hair stuff she uses and she is like girl please just put some stuff on ur hair and go on out. LOL

Last edited:
If you have straight hair left, then you'll probably have to cut it off. I'd say do about 1/2" here and there until you have cut it completely off. I didn't transition. I cut my hair down to 1/4". My hair had never been that short, and my first couple of days going out in the public I was a little nervous, but after a week I grew really comfortable with my new look and I was loving the fact that all I had to do was rinse my hair in the shower, add a little gel and go. I felt most feminine when my hair was shorter, I didn't have hair to hide behind, it was very liberating. Congratulations on your decision to go natural!! Enjoy each stage!

I transitioned for a year before the BC in braids and buns for the last month - I didn't have a twa just a regular fro. I was nervous the first I decided to wear it out but it was the best feeling ever (after a few days). Get a couple of headbands to help you through - but after a while you won't be dependent on them any more. You'll embrace your beauty.

You have a great fro - flaunt it!

What helped me to start showing my hair was that I was tired of hiding my hair! Our hair is very unique and versatile, why not show it. Congrats on the BC. I did not start wearing my hair out until like 15 or 16 months after my BC.

I never hid my hair. I got it cut from (almost) brastrap relaxed to 2" or so all around, I got up out the chair, patted it and went to the mall. In fact, I was working my do all day long. When I went back to work (this was over Christmas vacay) I looked the best I ever looked. I was flyy. Still am.

You have to have confidence regardless of your outer appearance. Hair doesn't make or break you.

With that said, from that small picture, you look 100% natural to me.

Rock it!

You ever notice that folks don't mind if you cut your hair short with a relaxer...but when you cut it to go natural its some big thing? Just think of it as a haircut b/c at the end of the day...it really is. Lol
I thought about this when I did the big chop. There would be ladies with super short relaxed hair (not even ear length) that would come up to me when I had my twa and say "You're cute with short natural hair. I can't do that." And I'm thinking in my head, "Why not? Your hair is already short anyway (probably shorter than mine)."

Back