Naturals: How on EARTH do you do your twists?!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
My dh is natural, and for the life of me, I can't do his twists right. I have to put a rubber band at the base of each twist, and it frustrates the CRAP outta me. I have to redo his hair every two days, because it looks like a frizzy mess. I don't understand how you guys can keep yor twists in for weeks at a time. I'm just so frustrated. What I do is: put Lenzi's Request on his scalp, saturate his hair with moisturizer and oil, and then do the two strand twists. I should also add that he hardly EVER washes his hair (even after me giving him lectures on keeping his hair and scalp clean) does that make a difference? Please help me, he doesn't want his hair any other way, and I'm scared these rubber bands are gonna start doing damage. Plus I'm tired of doing his thick a** hair every dang two days! Sorry so long. Just had to give the details. Hehehe.

Maybe lighten up on the moisturizer and oils. If I use too much it makes it easier to do the twists and they look nicer initally but they are more likely to unravel. What type is his hair? My 3cish hair is much more likely to unravel as well. Also make him tie his hair down at night with a doo rag or something or use a satin pillow case. You are too sweet, I would not have the patience to redo twists on my dh every two days.

The secret to making twists hold is to twist each strand before you twist.

If that fails then when you gets to the end of the twist braid the ends

I used to do twists on soaking wet hair and applied a little bit of Jamaican Lime & Mango twist gel. My twists never unravelled and I kept them in for a week at a time (i wouldn't go over a week to wash my hair...but I am pretty sure they could last longer).

Do you have a gel?

I use one of the following and they are all healthy and good products.

Jamaican Mango and Lime - I have only found this on the internet, because it is not in my area. http://www.rastagroup.com/html/jamaican_mango___lime_products.htm Other stores on the internet have it also. Just google it to look for the best prices. It says lock gel but I use it only for twists and have never had an issue with it coming out of my hair when I wanted to change the style.

Aloe Vera gel - Fruit of the Earth - Any store like WalMart, Target or drug store has this

EDO Styler Gel - has no alcohol, does not flake and leaves the hair soft. It is in a clear container and the lettering is orange. This is the cheapest and $2.99 or so for a 32 oz container and you can get it at Sallys.

I don't know the texture of your DH's hair. I have heard that hair of a 2 or 3 texture is more difficult to create and hold twists. But if he is a 4 one of these or similar products should hold those twists together.

Another way I have seen twists is that some people will braid about 1/8 of an inch and then begin twisting the hair.

The key is to keep twisting the two parts as you are twisting the parts together. Hope that makes sense.

These should help with some of the technique and product issues. I had never seen the first one and like the twist out results, but you can view it for the creation of twists.

Here are a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClerncfOZAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgANgV7OvjY&mode=related&search=

Does he tie it up at night to help with the frizziness? I use Barry Fletcher's twist like this product on my hair. When I twist the hair, I also wrap the ends around my finger to curl it a little and let it go.

Thanks you guys! Oh man, thank you SO much! I'm gonna try the double twist thing. I might end up braiding at the root. That lime and mango gel sounds wonderful! I can't wait to do his hair tonight! Woo hoo!

Really? I'll have to try that. Mines don't unravel but I'd like them to stay a bit longer.

I used to do this when I braided my own extension twist and I bought the Braids by Breslin and she said the same thing.

Its quite easy to do, you get used to it:yep:

Back