Naturals - How in the world?

caramelty

I understand this transition is a process. How in THE WORLD DO YOU LADIES DEAL WITH THIS HUMIDITY??

I have never been so undecided with my hair in my life. I am 10 months into my transition and MY HAIR IS A BEAST! I did the sew-ins for a minute but I just brought a house so I really can't go and buy any hair right now -Pockets are tight! I am lost I pressed and flat ironed my hair that lasted a good 45 mins until I stepped outside then the big poof arrived...

HELP HOW DO YOU DO IT??

I transitioned for a year in kinky twists, braids and puffs because I live in Florida and humidity is a beast!!

You'll have to try different products like Sabino and other products to find one that helps your hair resist the humidity. But many naturals simply don't flat iron when it's humid and opt for protected or curly styles. I think it's best to not fight your hair or the weather.

I want twist but working in the field I do its hard. I think I am about to bite the bullet and tell them whatever and twist my hair up.

Yes you should work with the weather, not against it. Bun if you have to. Do curly sets, flat twists, braidouts. Do individual twist and put the ends on perm rods. Just don't work against your hair. If you flat iron it and it puffs out, just don't keep doing it.

Find some updos to do as well.

ETA: I have micros with a sew-in in right now. I am hair free ...lol. The humidity ain't playin right now where i live but it is also too hot to deal with hair...

Yeah I have tied the flat irons up b/c they are pointless. I will try bunning it for a minute I need to go get me some cuter earrings and bun accessories. What is the best type of gel that activates the curl and also keeps the hair in place?

IC Fantasia Hair Straightening Serum keeps my flat ironed hair straight until water hits it.

There are several serums on the market that help fight frizz from humidity. Do a search on this site or go to the BSS and check out your options.

Another poster mentioned Sabino. Also, I think I have read on the board where some ladies use something by CHI. I think.

Co-sign with MsLizziA,

I suggest not going against your environment. By forcing it to do what it just ain't gonna do, is how we abuse our hair and create damage (overuse of heat, overuse of styling products etc, doing too much.)

This is why this hair care journey is so deep for me, it teaches you to embrace yourself in all types of weather :)

Apparently a natural is suppose to work with it, not against it. Our hair don't wanna stay straight.
Say it again, say it again :lachen:

I dont use heat on my hair ever. Even if I did, I can't see myself flatironing my hair in the summer. It's too humid in Ohio.

Summer time, I do lots of med sized boxed braids, twist outs, bantu knot outs, etc. The moisture in the air works with me, not against me.

Yeah I have tied the flat irons up b/c they are pointless. I will try bunning it for a minute I need to go get me some cuter earrings and bun accessories. What is the best type of gel that activates the curl and also keeps the hair in place?
IMO
Eco styler!

For my buns I use IC fantasia gel on damp hair, put the satin scarf on overnight and I'm good to go. Also, I use a Hairzing or ezcomb to fancy it up. I've tried ecostyler and it works just as good, but If I don't wash it out within 2 days or put more ecostyler on top it starts flaking up. HTH!!!

I know this is someone else's thread, but can I whine about me for a minute?

I keep trying to do twist outs and braid outs, but my hair is too long to make the cute little afro it did at first when I was doing this style. Now it is really long and fuzzy with the braidouts.

And yes when I flat ironed it gets poofy. Particularly if I flat iron myself. I do recommend Halo Smoothing (Poo/Con/Creme) because I didn't do too bad through a workout, water aerobics and the weather.

What do you do when your hair is too big for a cute braid out? (But not long enough to hang and be pretty either... I end up with a huge afro!)

I know this is someone else's thread, but can I whine about me for a minute?

I keep trying to do twist outs and braid outs, but my hair is too long to make the cute little afro it did at first when I was doing this style. Now it is really long and fuzzy with the braidouts.

And yes when I flat ironed it gets poofy. Particularly if I flat iron myself. I do recommend Halo Smoothing (Poo/Con/Creme) because I didn't do too bad through a workout, water aerobics and the weather.

What do you do when your hair is too big for a cute braid out? (But not long enough to hang and be pretty either... I end up with a huge afro!)
What are you doing differently now that you weren't doing before? Are you making a braidout on wet, damp or dry hair? Products? Is your hair fully dry when you take the braidout apart?

Have you put hair bands on to push the hair up and away? My hair doesn't look very long when I do twist/braidouts either, but hair bands work wonders.

BUNS and other protective styles to keep your hair from visibly swelling up. But if you like to straighten, get a GOOD humidity block. I know some people really love Sabino Moisture block and I love Mizani Thermasmooth Anti-humidity spray. I even put it on my hair when it's not straightened 'cause the humidity makes my natural hair frizz like nobody's business.

My hair stylist uses Keracare Oil Sheen with Humidity Block on my hair when she straightens it and it works wonders. I think it has mineral oil in it though.

I transitioned during the summer and did rollersets and kept my hair in ponytails. I had a collection of headbands in every color and style to lay down my edges.

I've been fully natural for almost 3 yrs now and I don't bother fighting the heat so my hair won't be straight if its too hot out. I did, however, keep it straight during my transition to hide the 2 textures. Just be careful not to heat damage the new growth.

When I want my press to last..I have to really press my hair right and not cut corners in the process. That means washing hair really well, using straight products like the control freak line, pressing hair bone straight, using some type of hair serum on the finished product and avoiding reversion conditions.

Last time I aimed for straight hair, I pressed it with the method above went to a very humid state. It even rained while I was there, but my hair did not revert. I also avoid products that make hair "sweat" ingredients that are known to make curls pop and draw moisture are typically not best suited for natural hair straightened. People tend to deep condition hair really well before pressing that is a good idea, but some of the deep conditioners tend to attract the moisture you hope to avoid to allow your press to last. Just take a good look at everything you use to press your hair then the conditions you put your pressed hair in. I have had success in wearing my hair pressed in every season in pretty much every US state's climate. The times that my hair reverted I could pinpoint why and avoid it on the next go around. Most times it is using the wrong products/technique to press your hair the rest of the time, it's not being conscious that my hair is still natural hair pressed so I have actively avoid reversion, not just unconsciously expect it won't happen.

Two things a natural can't fight....shrinkage and humidity.

I guess I must be weird because I like humidity. It makes my hair bigger! I love big hair, lol!

Even with it not being straight.. it still doesnt obey. On my last trip to jamaica.. i left jfk with a big curly fro.... and by the time i reached the airport in jamaica.. and passed an mirror i had to do a double step back to confirm that it was indeed me .. and not a shorn lamb dressed in my clothes!!! Twist and twisted updos are my friends in hot weather... even if they shrink it doesnt matter..

Bless,
Rebelle

I agree with the other ladies. Don't fight the humidity b/c you won't win. Lol. I transitioned in the summer and I just kept my hair in buns or braids (cornrows w/ extensions or single braids with extensions). As a natural now, I usually just wear my hair in buns, braid/twist outs, or twists in the summer heat and humidity.

I stuck to extension braids and wash & go's the moment I decided to transition. Since I was coming out of a texturizer my wash & go's did pretty good. I tried braidouts and twistouts but after a while they were useless. Most of the time they ended up looking like wash & go's once I spend enough time in the heat and humidity. So I stuck to wash & go's all the time when my hair wasn't braided.

Last edited:
I was going to go with braids with no extensions for the summer but then it turns out I need to do some job interviews. Went to the first one with poofed-hair.

Don't know what I'll do for the out of town interview. I feel more "confident" with straight hair simply because that's what I'm used to. But straight hair ain't working no more!

I am hoping since my interview is moving toward a drier climate, that might help a lot. :) I remember now that when I was a kid I used to be able to curly my hair on Sunday evening, and still have those curls the next Saturday without doing anything else. Oh, how I miss the arid high plains of Texas. :)

straight hair is futile for me to attempt in this weather. i like the humidity though cause it takes the crunch out from the ecostyler in my hair and i get these soft curls.

:look:LOL, I just BCed. Works wonders!:lachen::grin:

Sometimes it;s easier to just give in instead of fighting your hair. If you aren't ready for the BC, try getting some braids or doing some braid out/twist outs. Straight styles not likely to last in this humidity.

Olive Oil Ecostyler is my new drug, er...gel of choice for keeping hair in place and for defining curls.

Somebody else mentioned it upstream. My hair does not like to stay straight. My flat ironed hair (sedu @ 410 degrees) was reverting by the time I finished my whole head. It's time to move to curly styles like rollersets, flexi or perm rod sets, braidouts, twistouts, etc. Or you could just do braids, weaves, etc. That's what worked for me

When my twists/twistouts started frizzing up in April, I threw in some braid extensions....I'm about to take them out and start wearing flat-twists.....We'll see what I can come up with....I may blow it out a little every other week to keep it from frizzing and get some anti-serum from IC and see how it works...its all about trial and error....Whenever it gets too bad, i throw on a cute hat or tam.....I try to keep morning routines to less than 5-10 minutes on my hair....especially since I work out.

Back