Naturals How in the heck do u sleep?

ManeVixen

So i just joined today and i am trying to prevent all of my questions from coming out like word vomit :drunk::spinning::grin::look:however i need to know how do you ladies sleep with natural hair? when i wake my hair is a mess and my "curls/kinks/etc" are flat althogh I slept "cute":look: help please.

I can sleep in my twistouts without my hair looking a mess the next morning. I think my hair holds well in the bed maybe because my hair is very thick.

If you're wearing a twistout, you could just put a satin/silk scarf over your hair and fluff in the morning, with dry hands or oil, or whatever you use. For a twistout, you could also re-twist in large twists (4-6 maybe?), and in the morning unravel and fluff.

I could never sleep on wash-and-goes and wear them the next day without looking crazy as hell. I'd have to re-wash and re-apply whatever leave-ins I used.

First off wow! I saw your hair in the other post and it is gawjuss!

The only time I sleep with loose hair is if I am in a zombie like stupor and can't move my arms to put my hair in braids, twists, or cornrows. This is a big rarity for me and the result is dry, flat, tangled, knotty no-no hair. By sleeping "cute" do you mean sleeping in a style like a puff or something?

If that's the case, I never sleep cute..good thing I'm single, I have to look like Celie at nighttime in order for my hair to be good.

I always wear a satin bonnet, never loose. If I accidently leave it loose, I'll get a heat rash. For me it doesn't seem to matter what hairstyle I have under the bonnet, the bonnet does the trick.

I normally wear my hair in a bun so I tie it down with two scarfs (otherwise it will slip off). If it's a wng I put it in one braid and tie it down. HTH

I'm a wash'n'go gal during the week for the most part. Now, I just throw on a silk scarf "flat" on my head, then fluff and go in the morning. Previously, I didn't sleep with a scarf, but I do have silk pillowcases. I would get some flattening, but in the morning, I would spritz, fluff and go.

For me, the key is silk scarves and pillow cases. I cannot sleep with a bonnet on my head...the elastic bothers me even if it isn't tight. Cotton and other materials zap the moisture out of my hair...so when I fluff, I end up with dry craziness and the fluff just doesn't work the same.
If you have THICK, natural hair, you are going to definitely get some degree of flatness. Just comes with the territory.

I sleep in a few ponytails and I cover my hair with a satin bonnet. Even when I'm awake I keep a satin bonnet on my head.

Last edited:
I sleep on a satin pillow. I've been wearing a wash and go lately and my hair is so matted in the morning that I have to re-wet in order to make my hair look presentable.

First off wow! I saw your hair in the other post and it is gawjuss!

The only time I sleep with loose hair is if I am in a zombie like stupor and can't move my arms to put my hair in braids, twists, or cornrows. This is a big rarity for me and the result is dry, flat, tangled, knotty no-no hair. By sleeping "cute" do you mean sleeping in a style like a puff or something?

If that's the case, I never sleep cute..good thing I'm single, I have to look like Celie at nighttime in order for my hair to be good:lachen::lachen::lachen:.
thought i was the onl one...gurlie my boyfriend walks around calling me Celie all the time:grin:

thanks your hair is beautiful as well...
when i say sleep cute i mean with my head proped up on my hand trying to prevent my head from touching the pillow...:nono: boy i have some ruff sleepless nights!

Girl

Don't sleep on your back!

I normally sleep on my side because it is more comfortable anyway.
For the past 3 weeks I have been wearing flat twist in the front and twist out in the back. The style can last awhile...I just wash my hair every week. I have been able to just tie down the front to keep the hairs in the flat twist in place. Then I put on a satin bonnet and go to sleep. In the morning I fluff and I'm good to go!

:welcome: :wave:

I never sleep with my hair loose. My hair is always in some kind of braid, twist, or bantu knot before I go to sleep. I try to sleep with a satin scarf on every night as well. HTH.

I'm a wash'n'go gal during the week for the most part. Now, I just throw on a silk scarf "flat" on my head, then fluff and go in the morning. Previously, I didn't sleep with a scarf, but I do have silk pillowcases. I would get some flattening, but in the morning, I would spritz, fluff and go.

For me, the key is silk scarves and pillow cases. I cannot sleep with a bonnet on my head...the elastic bothers me even if it isn't tight. Cotton and other materials zap the moisture out of my hair...so when I fluff, I end up with dry craziness and the fluff just doesn't work the same.
If you have THICK, natural hair, you are going to definitely get some degree of flatness. Just comes with the territory.

Hey Kinka! :cheers: Welcome aboard girl--hair's looking fabulous, as always.

ETA: To answer the question-I usually just sleep on a satin pillowcase. I style my hair everyday unless it's in twists anyway, although I can get away with not restyling if it's in a bun.

about 6 loose plaits but the reason why i do so many is because it encourages me to section my hair and moisturize well each night. i have a satin scarf that i tie on my head and a satin pillow case. right now i can't even find my scarf. it totally disappeared

If I’m wearing a braidout, twistout or wash~n~go I just cover my hair with a satin bonnet, otherwise I make a few large braids/twists and cover with satin bonnet.

I wear twists or braids with a silk scarf. I also wear a scarf on the rare occasions when I sleep with my hair loose.

I use a satin granny cap and I spritz and fingercomb if i have a twist out or catch it up into a bun if its in double strand twists.

Back