Naturals-how I got a smooth, shiny braid out

kristina

Hi Ladies,
A couple of weeks after the bar exam and finally, I'm not longer in hair hiatus- I just added two new pictures to my 2006 april-september album.
Both pics are of my current braid out. It's messy on one side because I didn't let it fully dry but I'm quite pleased with it. I actually figured out how to get a shiny defined Nay-like braid out and I thought I'd share how this was created.
First I washed my hair with shampoo (Botanoil-me likey)
Then I applied Elasta DPR to my hair and left it on for about 15 minutes
Without rinsing out the DPR, I added Biolage Detangling Solution and brushed sections of hair smooth. I had a ton of conditioner on my hair and when I say smooth I mean that my hair was straight enough to rollerset while pulling taut with the brush. Then I braided the section tightly. I did fifteen braids but I'll do more next time. Then I went back into the shower and rinsed out all the conditioner. I didn't try to keep any in my hair. Finally, I put castor oil and gels on my ends so they would stay curly and not frizz. It took about an hour to do.
In the afternoon the next day I unbraided. And let me say, my hair is so soft and shiny. It's still a work in progress but I'm so proud that I'm finally learning how to do braid outs that don't look like HAM.

I'm glad you find a technique which works for your hair!
For my twist and braid-out after cowash I use my homemade moisturizer +Fantasia Frizz buster straightening gel (courtesy of loveya4ever) then I airdry : my twist/braid out are fierce!

Last edited:
I dont know much about braid outs but I love your hair and have a few questions for you.
What is your hair type?
How long have you been natural?
And what do you use to straighten your hair?

soun said:
For my twist and braid-out after cowash I use my homemade moisturizer +Fantasia Frizz buster straightening gel (courtesy of loveya4ever) then I airdry : my twist/braid out are fierce!

Thanks! Oh, I've heard such good things about this product- it's on my to-buy list. Does it make the hair crunchy at all?

SexyC said:
I dont know much about braid outs but I love your hair and have a few questions for you.
What is your hair type?
How long have you been natural?
And what do you use to straighten your hair?

Thanks SexyC!
As far as hair types I'm not sure because I've heard different things but I think I'm definately mostly a 4 something.
My last chemical was in late 2002 but I didn't cut off the last bit of texturized ends until early 2005 when I gave up braiding all the time.
And as far as straightening- I love my maxiglide.

kristina said:
Thanks! Oh, I've heard such good things about this product- it's on my to-buy list. Does it make the hair crunchy at all?

:) It doesnt make my hair crunchy at all, my hair is soft, this gel doesn't contains alcohol!

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Approx. how many braids did you place in your hair?
I did fifteen but next time I'll do a few more. I did bigger braids on the left side and that's why it's fuzzy- it didn't dry all the way.

Kristina,

How are you managing to do braidouts in 1 hour? My hair start to finish takes 4 hours! I have to mentally prepare myself so I usually procrastinate and do it 12pm-4am.

caligirl said:
Kristina,

How are you managing to do braidouts in 1 hour? My hair start to finish takes 4 hours! I have to mentally prepare myself so I usually procrastinate and do it 12pm-4am.

I guess I should clarify-it takes an hour to braid my hair but it takes more that 13 hours to dry. I only put in 15 braids so it wasn't nearly as much work as my box braids, which take 6 hours plus to do. Are you making a lot of braids?

soun said:

what do u use in your homemade moisturizer? i also use fantasia frizz buster straightening gel but not for twists or braidouts i use it for my buns and afro puffs. do u have a pic of your braidout. do u do your braidouts on wet or dry hair? tia!

naturallyme said:
what do u use in your homemade moisturizer? i also use fantasia frizz buster straightening gel but not for twists or braidouts i use it for my buns and afro puffs. do u have a pic of your braidout. do u do your braidouts on wet or dry hair? tia!

Hi, naturallyme
  1. my homemade moisturizer contains:Spring water(500 ml to 750 ml)
    +
    oils(carrot,almond,avocado,olive,castor,...) 2 teaspoons for each oil
    +
    glycerin(100ml)
    +
    Le KaÏR cholesterol (10 teaspoons)
    +
    Essential oil(ylang ylang or rosemary or lavender)
    30 drops
  2. Unfortunately I don't have any pic yet.
  3. I do braids and twist out on damp hair!

kristina said:
I guess I should clarify-it takes an hour to braid my hair but it takes more that 13 hours to dry. I only put in 15 braids so it wasn't nearly as much work as my box braids, which take 6 hours plus to do. Are you making a lot of braids?

I do 18 box braids. It takes me a while to get each section nice and smooth.

soun said:
Hi, naturallyme
  1. my homemade moisturizer contains:Spring water(500 ml to 750 ml)
    +
    oils(carrot,almond,avocado,olive,castor,...) 2 teaspoons for each oil
    +
    glycerin(100ml)
    +
    Le KaÏR cholesterol (10 teaspoons)
    +
    Essential oil(ylang ylang or rosemary or lavender)
    30 drops
  2. Unfortunately I don't have any pic yet.
  3. I do braids and twist out on damp hair!

*taking notes* Thanks Soun!

caligirl said:
I do 18 box braids. It takes me a while to get each section nice and smooth.

Dang six hours though- you're obviously more meticulous than I am.
BTW love you avatar!

Thanks for all the compliments ladies! When I get back from my bar trip (yay!), I'll post some how to picks in my album. Basically the trick is 'shingling' the sections with a cholestrol conditioner and detangler for slip before braiding and geling the ends so they stay defined and not frizzy. It's better than the Miss Jessie method IMO because you don't have to use heat and because the hair is not at all loaded with product. Yay!

I definitely will have to try this. I can see this technique saving me time as well. I just braided my hair last night and I washed, braided it up into 4 braids, then let it dry some, then took the braids down, combed out and re-braided into 12 plaits. That's too much work when I could just apply conditioner, smooth with my goody ouchless brush, and braid it up like you did.

By the way, beautiful braidout Kristina! If only my hair was your length but I'm sure I'll be brastrap length one of these days. :)

you are very pretty and your hiar looks great, i am happy you found what works for you.

ive been doing braid outs on natural hair for years, so the fact that i have perfected it doesnt really seem special to me anymore :look:

what find is all i need is a good deep condition and to put hot six oil, gel (IC spacklets) in my hair and braid it up i usually do about 5 braids, i find that when i am only doing 3-5 poopy braids it is best to somewhat cornroll the tops this way the top part of my head has the crimpy texture and not my natual wave, my hair may take a full day to completely dry but once it does its moisturized and a deeper black almost shine to it.

now if only i can perfect rollersets on my natural hair. i am slowly but surely comming up with ideas in my head for this one, and i will keep trying till i make it lol

Very pretty!! I killed the braidout while I was transitioning, and LOVED it. I'm gonna try your technique!

I think the main key is applying the products while the hair is soakng wet. I get the most defined twists out and curls when I do not towel dry my hair. Your hair is lovely Christina :love:

Back