Naturals...how do I comb my hair?

danimani

My momma would hit me if she knew I was asking such a dumb question.

But now that I BC (which I am enjoying) my hair is impossible to get through, no matter how well I condition and detangle! The ends are the problem...they are soooo tightly curled and the longer my hair grows, the worse it is.

How on earth can I get through the ends of my hair without making that awful sound?!

I already start from the bottom, only comb when wet, I condition and detangle. But it's still painful. :mad:

Help!

I BCd about two weeks ago with about 5 inches of new growth in 10 months.

Already the ends have coiled up, which wasn't a problem when I was transitioning, so getting through this is painful! I love my hair, but eek, the sound it makes when I comb it makes me cringe!

I'll try to do smaller sections and see how that works out.

im not sure if you already do this but its always a good idea:

* to detangle while the conditioner it still in your hair.
* to keep smoothin hair in one direction while shampooing as not to tangle even more.

I add conditioner to my hair section by section until I end up with about 5-6 sections. Then I put a plastic cap on my head for at least 30 minutes (usually an hour though) and THEN afterwards comb the conditioner through. I find if I just put the conditioner on and let it sit without a plastic cap, it doesn't soften my hair as much, making combing harder. When I'm ready to detangle, I take the plastic cap off and split each section in half and comb through and then I rinse the conditioner out.

Also what kind of conditioner are you using? Some are way better than others for detangling. You have to find one with lots of moisture and slip.

its hard for me comb out my hair even with conditioner on it. i'm going to try pooing and condition with several sections of braids. i'm just going to take my braids out after i air dry or before i blow dry.:D i'm going to try this method tonite and see how it works out.

This may seem obvious, but make sure you are using a wide tooth comb. The comb you use on relaxed hair will tear up natural hair. Try a wide tooth detangling comb. HTH!

I braid my hair into sections and then DC and wash it. That way when it is dry and I unbraid it, there is not tangling so I can comb it

believe me i feel your pain! my hair has the most coiling and shrinkage at the ends too...

definitely do it in sections. use a wide-tooth comb. get a good thick creamy conditioner with lots of slip. after you detangle a section, make a little bun or braid it up or SOMETHING to keep it from re-tangling. this is the major thing for me because otherwise my hair will continue to try and tangle up with other sections... very frustrating!

sometimes it helps to detangle with your fingers first (not to be confused with finger-combing). i gently pull at the very ends of my hair... almost like i'm rubbing them apart. pull very gently at the knotted sections to detangle... with time and patience they do come apart without ripping. take your time! :)

update: so i did it. i braided my hair in sections and proceeded to poo and condition etc. what a difference!!!!! :grin: that made it sooooooo easy!! no tangles, only a few strands during the whole process.

Last edited:
After you condition, you should detangle/comb in the shower under running water. I have started doing this and it works wonders for me and I could never detangle my hair with ease.

all those tips are great, i do them myself....but i have to add, MAKE SURE YOU GET A BONE COMB!!! any seamless comb will do. you'll notice the difference immediately!!!

Back