* Naturals - Heat damage? Pics inside *

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
Hi all, I wondered if anyone could help. I recently took a weave out of my hair (First one ever) prior to this, the hairdresser blow dried my hair. Typically I have my hair blow dried twice a year when I wear braids.

After having washed and deep conditioned my hair yesterday and twisting from wet, I noticed the hair looks 'trashy' and the twists look horrible. Can anyone tell me if my hair is permanently damaged or if it's temporary? I'm going to use some Nexxus Emergencee on it at the weekend and next week some Aphogee (sp?) Reconstructor the following week.

Can anyone advise what conditioner to follow these treatments up with as I searched for Nexxus Humectress in a few shops and couldn't find any.

Any help/Advice appreciated :(

Attachments

• HairEdit.jpg
    HairEdit.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Full hair2.jpg
    Full hair2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I don't think your hair is damaged, it appears it was not given the appropriate conditioning treatment after you took your weave down. I would suggest a deep moisturizing conditioner for your next wash. If your hair still doesnt look the way you want it to, then i would introduce more protein.

Maybe it's just me but from the very limited view the twists look fine to me, even the ends are curled.

I'd deep condition if it feels dry/weird but as far as looks are concerned, not seeing the problem.

I don't know if you do everything in twists but for me, the best way to assess my hair is when it's loose.

Wash it, DC then examine it, if the hair curls back up then it's fine, if not you may have a problem. But I would definitely do a protein treatment first.

I have to agree with every1. For me it takes about two weeks for my hair to get back to normal after taking down my weave.

It doesn't look like damage!! You need more moisture. Your hair was probably in a weave for too long without enough moisture!!! It should be fine once you up your moisture level :)

If your hair feels mushy and weak, then I would focus on protein. Maybe do a light protein treatment in the next week or two.
If your hair is feeling drier than normal, then I would moisturize a lot more often than you normally do. That is one reason why I don't get weaves personally because no matter what my hair always ends up looking much worse than it did before.

It doesn't look as though your hair is heat damaged to me. You did say that you wore a weave for the first time so that may be your culprit. I personally have a tough time keeping my hair moisturized when I wear a weave and it always takes a week or two for my hair to "normalize" after taking the weave out. So I normally do a DC, either overnight or for at least 3 hours.

Just baby your hair and you should be fine.

Yay!! Thank you all so much!! I'm reassured now.

I'm just not use to the twist strands looking so frizzy. My twists are usually well defined and tight, even when twisted wet, so I was really worried my hair was damaged. I guess when I wear braids I'm able to access my hair and scalp better and wash it better too, with the weave, as you can imagine it was limited!! Makes sense now

I purchased some coconut oil and elasta qp Olive oil and mango butter today.

I washed with Elasta QP Bodyfying shampoo (I usually use creme conditioning one ), detangled with Neutrogena moisturising conditioner) DC'd with Mirpur Chloesterol Carrot and Vitamin E oil with a shower cap for 30 minutes.

I'd love to know what you use to regain moisture if you don't mind sharing? I do fall down a bit on moisture and usually rely on Better braids unbraid spray as a daily leave in, but it seems they've stopped selling that too!!

Let me tell you, I went through a phase where my hair did the same thing after I overused protein back in 2010. It took almost 2 months before my hair was back to normal. I would definitely wait it out as long as your hair is not breaking and see if your hair will return to normal...

Nope. Don't see any heat damage. Usually if there is, your twists will be deformed because of the mixture of looser and kinkier textures. Your twists look pretty straight forward to me. Just DC and give it time. Your hair will be back to its normal state in a min.

Back