Damage/Breakage from Over-moisturizing, ANYONE?

PrincessLinzz

Hi LHCF,

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced breakage from over-moisturizing their hair (excess steaming, obsessive moisturizing deep condtioning)? If so, how did you fix the issue? And how long did it take to stop breaking? Any ideas (besides Nexxus Emergencee or Joico K-Pak Reconstructor) or help would be greatly appreciated. :perplexed

When I first started doing my own hair, I read about how protein makes hair hard and I avoided it like the plague. As a result, my hair broke constantly--even when I wasn't overly rough with it.

It continued to break until I started using protein consistently. I used Aphogee 2-minute weekly. Now I use AO GPB and avocado oil (or hempseed oil) on dry hair. Sometimes I steam with it too. I never use hard core proteins (Aphogee 2-step, DuoTex) or my hair because they're TOO strengthening for ny hair.

I have to use protein on my hair each time I wash it. If I don't, it's mush city for my hair.

try:
komaza protein strengthener ( a more nartural version of aphogee 2step)
aubreys gbp ( a balance of moisture plus protein)
mill creek keratin condtioner

yes. I've been over moisturized a number of times. Twice that resulted in bad breakage.

give your hair a rest with cowashing if you do it a lot. Try Aphogee 2 minute under heat. Or another moderate protein treatment. Depending on how bad your hair is...you may need several treatments to see your hair go back to normal

Co-sign with all of the above. I rarely co-wash, and if I do it's mixed with a protein something or other elsewhere in my routine. I alternate between moisture and protein conditioners. I only steam for around 20 minutes except after a hard protein (Aphogee 2-step or Nexxus), during which I steam for 30-40 minutes. I also don't baggy or GHE with product, oh the grossness of my hair :nono:.

As for recommendations, the ladies above have given you good ones :yep:. Use a mild to moderate protein treatment and see how your hair responds. For me, it was much easier to deal with overmoisturization than I imagine it would be from too much protein, but since I've never had the latter, I can't say for sure. I was good within a month or so, and have incorporated protein routinely in my regimen since then.

I experienced this many times when I was relaxed. Op, you should check your porosity and then, as others have said, add more protein to your regimen.

yes. I've been over moisturized a number of times. Twice that resulted in bad breakage.

give your hair a rest with cowashing if you do it a lot. Try Aphogee 2 minute under heat. Or another moderate protein treatment. Depending on how bad your hair is...you may need several treatments to see your hair go back to normal

Hi guys,

this is happening to me as we speak. What about your moisturizing and sealing routines? Did you guys switch to a protein leave-in or continue giving your hair moisture those ways?

I do the aphogee 2 minute on sundays - my hair stops breaking. Then midweek I do ORS replenishing and by friday - breakage city.

The only thing I've changed in my routine is putting the ORS on dry hair (maybe absorbing too much??) and swapping my wave nouveau out for glycerin/water mix. I live in a humid climate - maybe the glycerin water is too much?

I just went back to the wave nouveau but maybe I should try something protein instead?

Thanks!

I remember experiencing moisture overload after cowashing too much, my relaxed hair broke off like crazy. It was stringy, and mushy. It took 2-3 months to get my hair back to normal. At the time I used Motions CPR, Aphogee 2 step protein treatment, and Aubrey Organics GPB. I was hesitant to try co-washing again, but I realized that cowashing wasn't the problem, it was the product I was using to cowash, it was too moisturizing, so I started cowashing with IC Fantasia's Tea Tree Natural Conditioner and my hair stopped breaking after cowashing.

Just recently I stopped using protein, because I thought my natural hair didn't need it. BIG MISTAKE! My hair became wiry, and stringy. It looked like I had heat damaged. So I began incorporating Aphogee 2 minute protein conditioner, Aubrey Organics GPB, and Desert Essence's Shea Butter Repairing conditioner. I just started using Aphogee's Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructurizer, OMG this stuff is awesome. A little goes a long way. It helped stop my breakage, and it also makes my hair SUPER soft. I apply the green tea leave in first and then I apply my moisturizing leave in.

Another product that I love that's good for breakage is Aphogee Essential Oil. Its pretty much a mixure of ceramide oils. It works great when I mix it with protein. I highly recommend it.

Oh, yeah I also laid off super moisturizing conditioners, and just used moderate to light moisturizing conditioners.

I just had an issue with over-moisturizing. At first I thought there was a straightening agent in my shampoo/conditioner because my hair had seemed like it was getting straighter with every wash. After doing a hard protein treatment (Aphogee 2 step) my curls are coming back but I can already see where the damage is done. The front of my head has a lot of breakage beginning at the edges going back to the crown of my head.

I just had an issue with over-moisturizing. At first I thought there was a straightening agent in my shampoo/conditioner because my hair had seemed like it was getting straighter with every wash. After doing a hard protein treatment (Aphogee 2 step) my curls are coming back but I can already see where the damage is done. The front of my head has a lot of breakage beginning at the edges going back to the crown of my head.

This is pretty much my situation. I noticed that my texlaxed hair was just straight and had no definition. The protein conditioning caused it to curl up again. Also I can see the breakage around the edges of the front of my head. Very annoying.

NE, I'm a little scared to try the Aphogee leave in...I don't want protein overload. I'm thinking perhaps I will try using it once a week after my midweek DC with the ORS.

I guess my thinking is that even though I need protein, I don't want to skimp on moisture bc I don't want to cause new problems.

Yesterday I used the Aphogee 2 minute for 10 minutes and now my hair feels hard, but not dry. It feels strong actually. So I'm thinking that is a good thing. I still had about 7 broken hairs when I was moisturizing and sealing. I'm used to none. I'm hoping this will correct itself.

I don't know about breakage from over moisturizing but I do know that with split ends you have to just cut them off because there is no repairing them once they are split

Back