Naturals - Do you have bits of hair which looks relaxed?

My last relaxer was about 11 years ago. I did a texturiser about 9 years ago. I grew it out into long locs to my waist and I BC (went bald !) last July just about two weeks before having a baby.

Now I have a TWA - but I am noticing that some strands of my hair looks so straight (!) as if they have been relaxed! I know it can't be - because I have not relaxed in YEARS - I just cut waist length locs.

I am presently using a moisturing mix of conditioner, glycerine, water, few drops of peppermint and I seal with either Vatika oil or sea butter.

I believe I have 4b/a hair.

So what causes these "relaxed" looking strands?

Last edited:
YES! and it annoys the crap out of me.
I truly really believe it is because of heat damage, not the relaxer I grew out for 11 months.

Even a stylist tried to tell me it wasnt heat damage, but a relaxer - but I'm pretty sure its from having it straightened, and my hair there just didn't bounce back.

I know there have been threads about the chemicals of relaxer penetrating the hair that hasn't grown yet?? (forgive me if I'm botching that explanation) but in my case, I'm 99.999% sure that's just not what happened.

When my hair grows out a bit more, I may cut it out - or just leave it depending on how it looks when the natural hair takes over the section *shrugs*

But, I noticed that my hair looked different after a specific straightening session I had, If you didn't notice anything along the way- then maybe it could be relaxer?

I'm sure some other ladies can chime in with this one for more help...

Last edited:
I was just thinking of my similiar situation last night...this is funny. But i have not gone as long as you have without chemical.

I do have a few inches of natural hair at the root and a lot of it gets STRAIGHT w/out heat; just moisture/seal and tie down.Maybe it's different hair texture than the rest of our hair ladies.

If anyone knows please help us out TIA.

Last edited:
I have that same problem. It's a few of us on the board like that. I think laurendoll is one also. The front of my hair to my crown is like that, it has no curl pattern like it's straight. When my hair was a little shorter, I wanted to wear an afro but my hair in the front would just fall to the side because of that problem. It's nothing you can do but go with the flow.

Thanks for responding ladies.

It gets even more interesting because I have not had any heat treatments to my hair at all. I had dreadlocks for 9 years - I cut that off recently to BALD. (See my fotki) Whatever hair I have now - is ABSOLUTELY new growth without anything but my homeade moisturising treatment and shea butter.

Well - actually I did do 2 henna treatments - could that REALLY be it??:rolleyes: Otherwise..I really don't know what could be going on.....

Last edited:
I do henna but my hair was like that before henna. Henna can loosen up your curl but straighten it, I don't think so.

You can stop putting henna on your hair and snip those ends to see if there is a change but other than that it might be just your hair pattern in that little area.

I had to realize this the hard way as I was snipping off ends of my hair in an attempt to end my transition.

As I was nearing the end of my transition, I would randomly cut relaxed ends here and there so the final BC wouldn't be so drastic. (I would usually do this when I did a wash and go and the relaxed ends were way too obvious). As I was snipping hair in the nape, I realized that I was snipping much more hair than everywhere else. In most other places, I was snipping 1-2 inches, but in the back, (it was shorter than the rest anyway), the "relaxed" ends seem to be more like relaxed "strands". I knew that if the strand itself was 6-7 inches long, there is no way it could have been relaxed when I hadn't had a relaxer in over 2 years.

That's when it finally dawned on me that I may have been cutting natural hair off (in the back) that just grew straight anyway. It's still there and it's still coming in very straight.

BBB

BB

And here I thought I was the only one. Yes, I have straight hairs mixed with curly hairs. I have been natural for about 7 months now and they are dispersed throughout my head. There is no particularly rhyme or reason they are everywhere.

I had to realize this the hard way as I was snipping off ends of my hair in an attempt to end my transition.

As I was nearing the end of my transition, I would randomly cut relaxed ends here and there so the final BC wouldn't be so drastic. (I would usually do this when I did a wash and go and the relaxed ends were way too obvious). As I was snipping hair in the nape, I realized that I was snipping much more hair than everywhere else. In most other places, I was snipping 1-2 inches, but in the back, (it was shorter than the rest anyway), the "relaxed" ends seem to be more like relaxed "strands". I knew that if the strand itself was 6-7 inches long, there is no way it could have been relaxed when I hadn't had a relaxer in over 2 years.

That's when it finally dawned on me that I may have been cutting natural hair off (in the back) that just grew straight anyway. It's still there and it's still coming in very straight.

BBB

BB

Ouchhhhhh!! Sawwyyyy:sad:. I can totally see how that can happen. If I was transitioning I would have thought the same thing or if I had a recent relaxer.

I'am 52 weeks post into my transition and nip most off the relaxer in the back but halt in the front because it is straighter and I can't tell yet.

Ouchhhhhh!! Sawwyyyy:sad:. I can totally see how that can happen. If I was transitioning I would have thought the same thing or if I had a recent relaxer.

Yeah that did hurt! It's no telling how much of the good stuff (as in natural hair) I have cut off while trying to get rid of the bad stuff (relaxed ends).....LOL

BB

Normal, some women when they go natural (free flowing no locks) just start realising how diverse the strands our on their head. If its chemical damage it would eventually fall off.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Yes!!! It kind of bugged me at first, because I thought it was relaxer still affecting my new growth (and some of it was), but later I noticed some of my hair just grows in straight. o_O I stopped bothering with trying to figure out what my hair type was because from what I can see, I've got the full range of 1-4!!:lachen:

Yes!!! It kind of bugged me at first, because I thought it was relaxer still affecting my new growth (and some of it was), but later I noticed some of my hair just grows in straight. o_O I stopped bothering with trying to figure out what my hair type was because from what I can see, I've got the full range of 1-4!!:lachen:

Definitely! My hair sides seem to be 4zzzz, a large part of the middle section from from to back is 4a/3c, and I have small sections just above my ear which seem to be 3c.

I have that problem, right smack dab in my bang area. It is a large section 4inch left to right and 4 inches front to back. I always have to pull my hair back to camouflage. At first I thought heat damage but my new growth is the same way.

Attachments

• straight pieces.jpg
    straight pieces.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 29
I have random pieces of straight hair and I've been natural for 9 months. There is no possible way it's heat because the last time I used heat was in January, and I big-chopped to half an inch (maybe even less than that!) on April 30th. I think it's just the randomness and awesomeness of very curly hair. No two strands are alike! :yep:

Learn something new everyday on this board. I was not aware of this. I knew you could have multiple textures but never heard about anyone have straight hair as well as curly and kinky all together.

i am 6 months natural now and some of my hair in the back grows in straight. i mean very straight and silky fine. thats the only hair that does that is in the back. i have heat damaged hair in the bang area that i am clipping here and there.

I have a piece of hair that is bone straight that also refuses to combine with my locs. It's funny to me and I just consider it personality. I've been natural for 12 years and I colored for years so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm definately a 4b- xyz :grin: so I guess it's just one of those things.

I have been natural since 1996. In 2001 I started a dreadlock that reached BSL and then i did a BC in 2007. I have been paying particular attention to my hair texture since then and i realise that the front of my head, from my hair line up to about a quarter back from the hair line is straight and soft, no curl no kink; just straight. I love it..honestly.

the middle is very kinky and quarter of the back is wavy/curly and the nape is straight again. I dont have any problems with it.. i jus love it. Only when i wet may hair it all looks curly but when its dry i have those different hair textures.

I guess its genetics. My maternal grandmother is Venezuelan and my paternal grandmother is French Creole.. everyone is mixed up mainly Afro Caribbean, Venezuelan and French Creole. Its beautiful

Learn something new everyday on this board. I was not aware of this. I knew you could have multiple textures but never heard about anyone have straight hair as well as curly and kinky all together.

:grin: Yup, very possible. Am mainly Afro Caribbean but I do have mixed blood, so that can be a major factor. Its so beautiful when you know your heritage.

The straight pieces is what gives me the length :lachen:. The middle of my hair is short and the front and back is longer because of the texture difference.

My little boy decided he wants "big hair" so he hasn't had a haircut in about 8 months. Most of his hair is kinky coils with a lot of shrinkage, but he has many straight hairs poking out between the coils. As his hair gets longer, it is getting harder to make the straight ones blend into his afro. If we neglect the moisturizer, it looks something like this:
@@l@@@\@@@l@/@@@/@@@@\@@l@

I have a section right in the front center that is almost stick straight, it only waves closer to the scalp. Its very annoying, cause I can't wear a fro, I always have to pull my hair back. I'm planning to braid my hair up for the rest of the year so that I can let that section rest a bit, and hopefully soon it will be long enough so I can do some twists and not have it looking crazy.

I have this problem too, and I cut most of it off this weekend. It had to be heat damaged or straight natural hair becaue my transition was 3 years. Towards the roots it is wavy...like 2c wavy and as it grew out it was just straight. I'm having regrets because my hair is so short after the cut now. It's always been at least SL and with proper haircare it' was BSL. Now, it's no more than 3-5" in places after a 3 year transition.

After this weekend's cut, my wash n go still likes hair with very little curl.

I'm so upset; I wish I'd just not cut it.

Back