Naturals - Do you have bits of hair which looks relaxed?

I do! I've been natural for over 3 years. It's not as obvious as when I had a TWA anymore, but they are still there. No idea why they are straight. They are definitely not heat damaged as they were that way from the BC.

Yes, I have this problem too! I'm not sure what causes them, if they're caused by previous relaxers or are simply just natural. I got my last relaxer back in August 06 but was relaxed for about 10 - 12 years.

The straighter parts either look like coarse straight hair or are a really loose wave. If the hair was "4c/z" or 3c-ish, I wouldn't be bothered. As it is, I don't like the big leap in texture from type 4 to "type-wth?".

Last edited:
Yes, the nape of my hair looks straight to me like it has no curl to it at all. I was wondering if I didn't cut the relaxer out or if it was just damaged from being relaxed for so long. I just decided to give it to the Lord and allow him teach me how to take care of it along with my natural hair.

It is 5 months later and I still have straight batch of hair:wallbash:. My hair has grown about 3 inches and the new growth is coming in straight. Ladies, please any suggestions. I have been relaxer free since May 2008, did BC in August 2009.

I have that problem, right smack dab in my bang area. It is a large section 4inch left to right and 4 inches front to back. I always have to pull my hair back to camouflage. At first I thought heat damage but my new growth is the same way.

This is my hair.
My last relaxer was April or May in 2007.
I've never colored.
I've never straightened.
I've never hennaed.
I think my hair is about as virgin as you can get.
When you look at my flat twists, you see random bone straight hair sticking out.
It's not damage. It's just the way those strands grow.

Last edited:
myabe your hair just grows like that?
My hubby has a little afro & he has this section of hair in the middle of his head that is always straight. his hair grows really fast & he's always trimming it:rolleyes: but that straight piece of hair is always there. i dunno

Yes...I have been natural for 5 years, just about and I have straight pieces--heat damage, perhaps...or maybe I truly just have 50-11 different types of hair on my head...

My last relaxer was about 11 years ago. I did a texturiser about 9 years ago. I grew it out into long locs to my waist and I BC (went bald !) last July just about two weeks before having a baby.

Now I have a TWA - but I am noticing that some strands of my hair looks so straight (!) as if they have been relaxed! I know it can't be - because I have not relaxed in YEARS - I just cut waist length locs.

I am presently using a moisturing mix of conditioner, glycerine, water, few drops of peppermint and I seal with either Vatika oil or sea butter.

I believe I have 4b/a hair.

So what causes these "relaxed" looking strands?

You hair texture is changing. That's all. It happens sometimes to some people. Somebody in your family may have some Type of 2 or Type 3 hair.

Same thing happen to me. I grew up with like Type 4 hair, now I'm a Type 3. It's just genetics. Enjoy the ride :grin:

"Whether or not it's scab hair depends on how long you've been natural. I can say there is definitely a big difference between the first few inches of natural hair that grows oout and what the rest will be like".
Scab hair ...“scab hair” which is the new-grow hair that grows out after a perm. Scab hair is not like your true texture. It is drier, rougher, and possibly harder to manage. Chemical damage... ( relaxer is still there hanging on).

I wish I had seen this thread the other day before I cut some of my hair. I thought maybe that I still had relaxed hair in some parts of my hair, but I knew that couldn't have been the case because when I did the BC I cut everything off.

Oh well, it will grow back. I hope. :ohwell:

Yeah I have straight pieces. I thought it was just me until I was talking with a few natural girlfriends and they said they experienced it too. The kicker is this... it's only straight when it's wet or very moisturized. When it's dry it "fros up" like the rest of my hair. :ohwell:

Back