Naturals, Do knots always=Trim?

FrizzMizz

I just trimmed my hair a few weeks ago, and already I have hair knotting like crazy at the ends. Do knots just come with the teritory or should I try to do something about this?

I think knots just come with the territory. I say that because the page I posted once before, courtesy of Pantene, which is only a glimpse at a source of great hair info, doesn't address knotting as a "damage related" issue, but just some mysterious characteristic typical of African hair.

Here's the link to the page I'm talking about: http://www.pantene.com/haircare/hair_twh_76.htm

Yeah I get knots. But I clip the strands that have knots only. I dont do a full trim becasue all of my hair isnt prone to knotting. Just the Front and sides for some odd reason.

[ QUOTE ]
I think knots just come with the territory. I say that because the page I posted once before, courtesy of Pantene, which is only a glimpse at a source of great hair info, doesn't address knotting as a "damage related" issue, but just some mysterious characteristic typical of African hair.
Here's the link to the page I'm talking about: http://www.pantene.com/haircare/hair_twh_76.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

But the knots on the strands knot around each other so if you have to cut or pull them which I know you shouldn't do, aren't you like prematurely disrupting your growth. I just know that everytime I attempt to twist or untwist my hair I get these longs strands of hair that coming out from the ends knoted and it's making twisting and untwisting a chore. And I've never had them until recently. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif Maybe it's a consequence of natural hair growing. I don't know.

I just started doing twists, and I will pay attention to when I'm untwisting, to see if there's a technique to reducing knots. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been paying attention.
hide1-vi.gif

wow. good to know your hair is long enough for you to do that Flower. LOL. I think its good to put in some detangler b4 you get into taking the hair loost. I gotta get some more, or maybe when i ready to take out these braids and wash my hair i'll put in the biolage detangler also and then see how that goes. I do think i'll have much more slippage if i do it while the detangler is in the hair but i dunno if that will mean tangles or what.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I get knots. But I clip the strands that have knots only. I dont do a full trim becasue all of my hair isnt prone to knotting. Just the Front and sides for some odd reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I do, I just cut right above the little knot. I only get em in my kitchen though. I have never felt em anywhere else on my head.

Hey FrizzMizz,

If you have knots to the extent that it is disrupting the twisting/untwisting process, then it may be time for a trim.

I had a similar experience when I went for 10 months without trimming, and I know exactly what you mean about long strands getting caught in the knots. It is SO annoying and you do feel like you are yanking your hair out /images/graemlins/angry2.gif

Depending on how healthy your ends are in general, you should only have to take off about 1/2 an inch. Don't worry about knots that are much farther up the shaft- they usually don't cause any problems. Good luck!

As long as your hair doesnt look damaged or is breaking i guess its not necessary to trim them off especially if you just trimmed not long ago as you said. Me thinks it just comes with the territory just cause of the nature of coily hair. /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif Strangely i havent too many in my hair lately but when i do catch a random one i just snap it out or trim above it.

Thanks Guys,

Oshun Curls--Yes but I just trim. I'm starting to think that maybe I didn't properly trim it. And that's what I was afraid. In an attempt to save hair I don't trim enough and then I end up months down the road having to trim even more /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif. I think I should consult with a natural stylist.

@Babyblue, I have noticed some breakage and thinning and the ends of my twist /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

I just never had knots at 5-6 inches and to have them now just doesn't make sense.

My front, left side of my hair is prone to knots. I will get them at the end of my twists if I start trying to unravel too far up into the twist. I will usually spend a minute trying to unravel the knot, but if I can't, it's snip-snip . . . for the knotted strands only.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Guys,

Oshun Curls--Yes but I just trim. I'm starting to think that maybe I didn't properly trim it. And that's what I was afraid. In an attempt to save hair I don't trim enough and then I end up months down the road having to trim even more /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif. I think I should consult with a natural stylist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel you, FM. I also hate trimming, which is why I went sooooooo long without one. Plus, you can really get away with it when your hair is curly or in other unstraightened styles. But trust me, detangling and styling will be so much easier after a proper trim!

How long had it been since you trimmed prior to the trim you did a few weeks ago?

Did you trim wet or dry, straight or curly? Sometimes wetness can disguise ends that need to be trimmed.

Okay the trim before the last was in April. It sounds crazy now that I said it.

I trimmed it dry in twists.

Yeah Okay, I'm going to go in for another trim from a stylist.

Back