Naturals: Conditioning Question

hopeg80

When you condition your hair do you just use a plastic cap or apply heat? I am contemplating on buying a heating cap and I want to know is it worth it.

Using a heating cap is an immediate way of opening the hair cuticle so that the conditioner can penetrate the hair.

A plastic cap uses your body heat to open the cuticle. Since it takes time for this to take place it may take longer for the cuticle to open.

Ladies...Please correct me if I'm wrong...

hopeg80 said:
When you condition your hair do you just use a plastic cap or apply heat? I am contemplating on buying a heating cap and I want to know is it worth it.
I have recently gone back to adding heat with deep condish & hot oil treatments. I bought a 1875 watt hooded conair dryer. I use low heat for 15 min. I was doing the no heat thing all summer bought saw no benefit to my hair. I deep condish or hot oil once a week with a plastic cap under my hood dryer. sometimes i mix ingredients with my condish and add heat.

Last edited:
I only use a plastic cap. For me personally I never felt like I saw a difference in my hair when using heat to deep condition.

plastic cap for me...i've done it with heat and it really didn't make a positive difference. it also made my hair seem harder afterwards.

Blacktresses said:
Using a heating cap is an immediate way of opening the hair cuticle so that the conditioner can penetrate the hair.

A plastic cap uses your body heat to open the cuticle. Since it takes time for this to take place it may take longer for the cuticle to open.

Ladies...Please correct me if I'm wrong...

that's pretty much it. If I don't have that much time (like only 30min.) I use the heating cap but if plenty of time (hours) I just warm the conditioner up, slap it on and use a plastic cap covered by a foil cap and just do whatever for 2 or 3 hours. Either one works for me.

hopeg80 said:

Hopeg80,
I would recommend that you seriously consider buying a hood hairdryer. Too many of my friends have had bad experiences with heating caps. A hood dryer is much more versatile, you can use it for deep conditioning and for rollersetting. Plastic caps are very good for conditioning whether you use heat or not, they helps to lock in moisture and helps the conditioner penetrate the hair shaft.

HHG,
MeechUK

I agree with MeechUK. I read somewhere that heating caps harden natural hair (I think T'Keyah's book?). Personally, I use seran wrap (heats up real well), and cover it with a plastic cap.

I'm sure you may also benefit from a hooded dryer. --any recommendations for good hooded dryers?

i use plastic cap overnight i heard too that heating caps are bad. you could either try a steamer or plastic cap

MeechUK said:
Hopeg80,
I would recommend that you seriously consider buying a hood hairdryer. Too many of my friends have had bad experiences with heating caps. A hood dryer is much more versatile, you can use it for deep conditioning and for rollersetting. Plastic caps are very good for conditioning whether you use heat or not, they helps to lock in moisture and helps the conditioner penetrate the hair shaft.

HHG,
MeechUK

I would love to purchase a hooded dryer, but I am only in the UK for a year. :( Thanks for the suggestion though.

I always sit under my heating cap for 15 minutes with a plastic cap on.
I had fantastic results last week with ORS Hair Mayo...buttery soft, shiny hair.

I *warm* my conditioner before applying, then cover with a plastic cap... my results are BETTER than they were with the hooded dryer :)

hopeg80 said:
I would love to purchase a hooded dryer, but I am only in the UK for a year. :( Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm sure you could borrow one or buy one and take it home with you on the plane as hand luggage! They are probable a lot cheaper here than in the USA.

MeechUK

Netta1 said:
I prefer using steam with my deep treatments not dry heat.

I have always wanted a steamer. I am gonna have to get one that attaches to the shower head or something. I use a plastic cap, then use my soft bonnet cap w/ the blowdryer over that. It does just fine for me

ajargon02 said:
I have always wanted a steamer. I am gonna have to get one that attaches to the shower head or something. I use a plastic cap, then use my soft bonnet cap w/ the blowdryer over that. It does just fine for me
Yep, they are building them into home showers now i seen it on HGTV.They have some amazing things going into homes these days. Im keeping that in mind for when me and my SO buy a home along with the whole house water softening system.

Last edited:
I just use a plastic cap. I pasted an article a while back stating why you shouldn't use heat to deep condition because it will dry it out. I will go find it for you:yep:

I have never sat 30 min-1hr for a deep condish w/heat. Maybe thats why it was hard afterward or maybe washing with hard water or strong poo was the cause? I only sit 10-15min at the most w/ plastic cap & my hair is moist and soft when i remove the plastic cap. Maybe it depends on the thickness or health of the person's hair also? I have had no problems with my hooded dryer and will continue to use it until me and my SO buy a home with a steamer/shower/softening system on water heater.
ETA for future home owners: the shower i seen with steamer function had an area(in the shower stall) where you can sit down and enjoy your steam.

Last edited:
Ayeshia said:
I do both...I have an hooded dryer bonnet.

Me too! I love to put on my cap on saturday with a 20 foot extention cord and clean my house while I am deep conditioning. I use my hooded dryer for protein treatment or coloring. Also, in the summer a cap is best. Sally's has the cap that I am using it doesn't get that hot. When we were little my mom would put a hot wash cloth on our head on top of a shopping bag.

I like the steamer better than the heat cap but I've used both. you get more moisture with the steam

Back