Naturals - Anyone Have a Truly Simple Regimen

MissMusic

I'm talking, no pre-poo, no overnight treatments, no hot oil treatments, :blush:, etc. If so:

What is your regimen?
What products do you use?
How do you style your hair?

I am looking to simplify things and need to know that I will not destroy my hair in the process.

Thanks!!!!!

Yes. Here's mine and my hair looks great and is growing.
Shampoo - only Terressentials - lemon.
No deep conditioners for over 2 years.
Leave in conditioner - Elucence
Curl Keeper for curl definition

Styling - Rinse hair or shampoo only 1x week. Leave in and curlkeeper. Smooth hair with hands - low effort shingling, but only for about a minute with my curlier sections in the back. Wrap a silky scarf around to contain fly-aways and absorb moisture. Take down and go. My 4a hair has outstanding spirals.

Just purchased Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Crème and Curls Unleashed No Boundaries Leave-in Conditioner, which I like.

Supplement Viviscal Extra-Strength for 7 months. I think it is helping and worth it.

With a blow-out, hair is below my shoulders. I stopped relaxing over 2 years ago. I did not do a big chop. When curly, the very back reaches my collar. The sides are shorter. I look forward to the day when all of my hair is at shoulder length when curly, but that's at least a year away.

LOVE my hair - can't believe how it easy it is to have spirals and curls that are healthy and beautiful.

I do.

When needed( -usually every two weeks)

Shampoo with Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo
Dc with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm
Style in mini twists with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I always wear my twists in a big bun
If my hair is feeling dry, I do a quick spritz with my water/dc mix.

That's all. My hair is grazing WL.

Last edited:
Wash once a week (using shampoo or conditioner depending on what I feel my hair needs)
DC or PT for 10-12 min
Detangle w/condish
Style w/grapeseed oil & curl activator gel or flaxseed gel

Go to styles are wash & go, ponytail, or a bun.

My sister is 4b/a.

She washes her hair every day with Unkle Funky's shampoo and conditioner. And uses their leave in.

She puts on a headband and and goes. No prepoo. No cowash. No deep conditioner. No nothing.

Wash n go....LITERALLY.

She combs or finger combs every day.

She has grown a twa to neck length in three years.......

I would post her pic if she would let me. But she won't.

I do.

When needed( -usually every two weeks)

Shampoo with Shea moisture moisture retention shampoo
Dc with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm
Style in mini twists with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I always wear my twists in a big bun
If my hair is feeling dry, I do a quick spritz with my water/dc mix.

That's all. My hair is grazing WL.

Sounds like my regi!
Wash my hair with Shea moisture retention shampoo every week
Dc with joico moisture recovery treatment balm (sometimes add pep oil and castor)
Apply njoy growth oil to my scalp every night
Moisturize or co wash daily
Throw my wig on daily
Thats it. I'm almost apl

Me!!

Shampoo: Every 3 weeks with Miss Jessie's Super Slip Shampoo
Cowash Daily or as needed: Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle
Wash n Go/Bun/Pony/ 2 Strand Twists: LOC method (L-water, O-grapeseed oil or other, C-KKKT and As I Am DB) plus gel for scrunching and edges
Deep Condition: 2x a month: Joico Moisture Recovery Balm
Protein: 2x a month: Giovanni
Blowout, Flat Iron & Trim: Once every 12-16 weeks

Went from BC (4") to WHIP L in 3 years.

Last edited:
My Reggie isn't simple now, well is sorta is but I grew my hair from BP bad perm fell out all my hair AKA chicken head to BSL using the following with my old broke college student reggies.

1. Crochet Braid Reggie
Wash and condition with white rain daily, in the nineties back when I was in College Kmart sold the set for $1. Use dollar store olive oil conditioner as a leave in

Kept my crochet braids in for two months at a time. One week break in between.

2. Bun reggie; Grew from APL to BSL

A:Wash hair daily with dollar store dandruff shampoo
B: Condition with any cheap conditioner.
C: Grease hair with petroleum jelly and bun for a week.

I do.
Shampoo once a week.
Deep condition once a week.
Braid up to wear under my wig.
Protein treatment every six weeks.
Detangle every six weeks.
If I'm not wearing my wig I detangle once a week.
I moisturize when I remember which is like once every two weeks.

I'm talking, no pre-poo, no overnight treatments, no hot oil treatments, :blush:, etc. If so:
I don't do any of those things.

What is your regimen?

Shampoo, condition ACV rinse hair twice a week (one wash includes a DC); baggy every night or under hats/headwraps. I don't use any leave-in moisturizer or styling products. Dust every 8 weeks.

For about a year now, I have not had the drive to do my hair. So I don't baggy or tie my head up before sleeping on my cotton/polyester or micro fiber sheets/pillowcases. I still don't moisturize and I have really gotten lazy with washing my hair. I still dust like clockwork every 8 weeks. Redo twists one at a time as I feel like it.

Any moisturizing clear (as opposed to creamy) shampoo whether with or without sulfates eg Garnier Fructis, Giovanni 50:50, etc. Any moisturizing conditioner eg Nexxus Humectress Mask, Aussie Moist, etc. For DCing I use Aubrey's GPB or Nexxus Emergencée.

When wearing my hair loose, I use S Curl as my leave-in because I need some product to provide slip for a comb to go through my hair. But since I live in twists and never comb my hair, I use no leave-in.

I pretend my twists are loose hair and either do a WNG on twists and leave them down, or I put them up in some updo, or French braid, or do nothing and wear a hat or headwrap. I never have to comb, detangle, or spend more than a few minutes on my hair per day. There are days I don't do a thing.

Last edited:
1.Detangle in the shower with rinse out condish
2. Wash with bentonite clay
3. DC with steamer (Aubrey's condish)
4. Twist with leave in and hemp seed butter

(5) M/S as needed

Well, I actually just do steps 2 and 4 (and 5), w/o serious repercussions, but I feel like just a little extra is needed as of late. And a henna treatment, preferably once a month but I've been lazy. :spinning:

Last edited:
My regimen has gotten very simple recently.

1) Two or three days a week - Section hair in two, add conditioner (usually HEHH) and KCKT. Wet hair slightly. Let sit while take shower.
2) Detangle under water stream.
3) After shower, rake thru KT Leave In made with KCKT, AVJ, Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil, and seal with Vatika Oil.
4) Wear in bun.

Once a month I shampoo with a clarifying shampoo (usually Giovanni Tea Tree) after Step 2 and deep condition with Kenra Moisturizing with a little added olive oil.

Some will find that the longer u have been on this board, the simpler your regie gets. Mine is quite simple: DC 1x week & twist as a protective style. Plus protein every 6weeks. My hair is loving it.

Sent from my sexy phone.

I do.

Wash with JOICO Moisture Recovery.
Condition with Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm.
Seal with Oil (which ever one strikes my fancy at the time).
Dry in big twists.
Style hair (usually two-strand twists).

In between my wash days, I rinse and condition with Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner with my twists in and add a little oil to the ends while they're still damp.

After 12 years of being natural, I've found that simple is best. I get 1/2 inch of growth each month consistently without special vitamins, serums, etc.

Last edited:
I keep it simple. Weekly:

1: Co-wash with Hair One Olive Oil (or a cheapie condish that is hanging around I am trying to use up.) I *maybe* shampoo once every 6 weeks, but I use little product overall.

2: Rinse and generously apply deep conditioner (3 weeks, moisturizing mask to1 week protein.) I either leave on under a conditioning cap around the house (even overnight) if I have no where to go, or sit under a dryer for 20 min. if I do.

3: Rinse, use some kind of conditioning/detangling leave-in to separate my hair in sections.

4: I moisturize each section, seal with a rich oil, and 2-strand-twist my hair in 7 large twists and let it air dry.

That's it. I do little else to my hair until wash day. I wear an easy wig during the week so I don't have to manipulate my hair.

As for maintenance, I wear a satin bonnet at night. If my edges or ends feel a little dry during the week, I apply Eden Body Works Peppermint Temple Balm. But, even after a week, when I take my hair down, it is still soft, supple and moisturized.

BTW, I have all types of 4 (a, b, c... x...) hair that is BSL when stretched. My regimen is the only thing that seems to keep all my strand types content.

I don't spend as much time on my hair as I used to. I grew mine to BSL from a 1 inch twa...Thanks to this forum ;-)
-Friday night, detangle with condish (usually I mix a little oil into the condish) and put in twists as I go along. Put on a shower cap and sleep.
-Saturday morning in the shower, with the twists in: rinse out condish, wash once with condish, oil rinse.
-Hop out out the shower, apply a leave in to the twists, then I usually will retwist into smaller twists for the day with a moisturizer. Wear them out or wig it if I go out. Sunday and the remainder of the week is twist out, bun, braidout or whatever I feel like doing each day until wash day again. I'll moisturize through the week if my hair feels dry. That's it! Easy peasy.

Last edited:

What is your regimen?

I am looking to simplify things and need to know that I will not destroy my hair in the process.

Thanks!!!!!

Simple regimen basics: Wash, condition and/or deep condition, style, leave it alone. Always detangle hair before washing and wash in sections. Use fingers first than bring out the combs. Always start at the ends first than work my way up. Been doing things this way for years. Not partial to any particular brand of anything, I just go by how my hair feels and behaves.

Shampoo - depends on style and/or whether I've used cones. Usually any moisturizing shampoo with sulfates works. Have used non sulfate poo if wearing hair unstraightened.

Conditioners - I usually have 3. Deep conditioning protein or moisturizing, a regular old conditioner and Vo5 (any from the moisture milks line) for detangling purposes.

Products could be anything from Aphogee, Suave's Shea and Almond butter conditioners, TRESemmé's line, Cholesterol (prefer lustrasilk but have used queen helene), EVOO, or some other store-bought brand. I also love Aubrey Organics conditioners but don't go out of my way to buy it.

For stylers or setting products I use Aphogee green tea and Fantasia IC gel - usually the blue or green ones.

Styles: Braid/Twist outs, twists, braids, ponypuffs on stretched hair (always stretched), straightened styles or straightened hair with some type of wave or curl to it (pincurls, twist/braid-outs and my favorite ponytails).

I dust my ends regularly and do a minor trim for evenness once a year.

Once I style my hair, I don't mess with it much. When it gets on my nerves, I either pony up, do a sloppy bun, big twist or braid. I always put it up at night and avoid too much combing/brushing/preening while it's out.

Very, very simple.

I hardly do anything at all:

Co-wash once or twice/wk with any condish - my hair's not picky. Seal w/rice bran or avocado oil. I only shampoo if I straighten, which is once every 4-6 weeks.

Egg in condish 1x/month for protein. If I straighten, I use Joico Reconstructor.

I DON'T use deep conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizers or any other products.

I wear a bun or one large French braid every day. I'm a SAHM, so no need for glamour.

That's it!

Last edited:
cowash with aussie moist 1x a week
wash with shampoo and conditioner 2x a month,
oil hair and scalp with almond/coconut oil mix.
Hair is braided under a u-part wig 95% of the time.

Last edited:
I don't think you can get simpler than washing, conditioning, and bun-ing/or any style that takes 10 mins or less. Any simpler you would fall into neglect. IMO, you have to invest some time to have healthy hair regardless of your race.

Thanks for the answers ladies. You're giving me an idea of what I may be able to extract from my wash day. I think my maintenance regimen is pretty simple when looking at you all's. Keep em comin!

Mines is a little. I wash, condition, or deep condition if needed. Then after washing either do LOC or LCO. Sometimes as a treatment I'll use my clays, ayurvedic powders or oils.
Since my hair is short again I air dry it and tied it up at night. When I am not lazy I oil or grease my scalp.

Super simple--almost lazy!!

Co-wash 1-2x/week with Tresemme Naturals
(Shampoo usually 1-2x/month with whatever is on hand)
DC when my hair feels super dry (again, whatever's left in my stash--I'm a reformed PJ!)
Leave-in: kimmaytube mix
Style: Shea Moisture smoothie, clear Ecostyler. Usually my hair is in a twist out or a bun/puff from an old twist out.
Moisturize as needed between co-washes

I have two daughters with insane amounts of hair--one is between waist and hip and the other is tailbone length. I don't have time to do my own hair!!! :-D

Mine is basic.

Shampoo, condition ,dentangle in the shower .,airdry.
Moisturize daily .
My hair lock easily so i finger detangle throughout the day.

What is your regimen?

I've always been pretty simple when it comes to my hair routine, but over the past 8 years, my natural hair regimen is the simplest it's ever been now...

Regimen: Co-wash 1-2 times weekly, deep condition as needed
Products I use: Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner (co-wash), Long Aid Activator Gel (moisture), EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel (hold), DevaCurl Heaven In Hair Treatment (deep condition)
Hair Style: Wash N Go

Simple reggie here and I have had one for pretty much my whole time being natural.

Washing: once a week with Avalon Organics. I use the tea tree shampoo.

Conditioner: Aphogee 2-min Reconstructor and then Herbal Essences. I comb with the latter conditioner on and then rinse 95% of it out.

After washing: I apply coconut oil. I DC about once every 2 weeks.

Styling: top knot most days. If the weather is going to be good, usually a braid out. I mix coconut oil, gel and ORS Olive Oil lotion to use when braiding.

What is your regimen?

I deep condition my hair with acv and Greek yogurt and sit under the steamer for 20 min rinse then, I wash my hair with rhassoul clay mixed with water and tea tree oil. I detangle with the clay in my hair then two strand twist them up. In the shower I rinse and do another quick detangle and re-twist in shower. Out of the shower I put a tea tree and evco mix on my scalp in my danger(itchy zone-seborrhea dermatitis) then do a tension blow dry on the twists and re-twist them then done. This takes about 4 hrs all together once a month:grin:

The simplest regimen I've had was after discovering Aussie Moist conditioner could work as a styler.
My regimen was:
1. Rinse hair
2. Apply Aussie Moist and finger or comb detangle
3. Seal with oil

I didn't use to DC at all because they didn't seem to do anything for my hair. I also only used to shampoo once a month because I was afraid of it drying my hair out. I either wore a wash n'go or bun, since I hated (still hate actually) twisting or braiding my hair because it took too long and my hair would knot up anyway :nono:.
If (when :look:) I do this routine at my current length, I would put my hair in 4 twists after detangling (stops my roots from drying super tight), shampoo and do a protein DC once every 2 weeks.

ETA:
After dabbling with homemade hair care, I realized that mixing spritzes, boiling junk, messing with powders, and having to wait for stuff to steep or infuse :nono: specifically un-simplifies my regimen. Right now I want everything to come in a pre-packaged bottle, because that's way easier than having to run to my kitchen everytime I want to do my hair :lol:.

Last edited:
Back