Naturals - Anyone Have a Truly Simple Regimen

Sort of...

Wash 2x week - alternate shampoo and cowash
DC 1x week
Protein 1x month
Henna 1x month (I know its a "treatment" but my hair wouldn't survive without it)

M/S daily
Keep hair stretched.
Dust

Yep wash and condition and style once a week

The only products I use on a regular basis are Jane Carter shampoo, Tressemme naturals conditioner as a leave in and EcoStyler gel

I usually wear my hair in a protective style

Last edited:
I'm a natural MBL but I flat iron 1X/Week:

- Shampoo
- Finger Detangle while conditioning
- Leave In (Kerastase Nectar thermique)

- Air dry while sleeping in 4 twists

- Wake up & blow dry hair that is 70% dry (stretch method)
- Flat iron using Phytolisse serum (heat = 260 degrees)
- Ponytail bun for the week...switch ponytail bun location each day
- Repeat next week

Super curly, 3c/4a, mbl to waist stretched, shoulder length with shrinkage.

Cowash and fully detangle with .99 VO5 conditioner about once a week, leaving some in.

Wrap hair in t-shirt for about 5 minutes. Smooth hair with good old fashioned hair grease.

I no longer use any gel.

Put up in high bun.

After hot yoga (2-3x week) rinse with conditioner but don't comb.

Can't get any simpler than that!

I used to have one. I used shampoo, conditioner, and a little aphogee reconstructor spray. That was it. I used conditioner for my twist outs & they came out great. the link is in my fotki album.

Super curly, 3c/4a, mbl to waist stretched, shoulder length with shrinkage.

Cowash and fully detangle with .99 VO5 conditioner about once a week, leaving some in.

Wrap hair in t-shirt for about 5 minutes. Smooth hair with good old fashioned hair grease.

I no longer use any gel.

Put up in high bun.

After hot yoga (2-3x week) rinse with conditioner but don't comb.

Can't get any simpler than that!

I used to do a similar routine (posted up thread), but I feel like I have to do more if I want long hair. I'm MBL and you saying that you're WL is really encouraging :yep:.

Last night I did my simple routine, but used gel and put my hair into 4 twists. Took me only 15 min to rinse, detangle, and style my hair!! I am so about that life :lol:

hello,
i really need some help. this forum is quite overwhelming and i could be sucked in for days. i have been natural for 5 years and stuck at the same length (CBL) or shorter. finding a stylist and various cuts at their recommendations...not using the right products, not having a good regimen, and on and on. i use two strand twists as a style method and have A LOT of shrinkage (about 4 inches). i would like to get to APL when straight. i want healthy hair and a relatively easy routine. my latest hair stylist suggested that i only use natural hair products (castor oil, coconut oil). i've used the castor oil...i noticed that it makes my hair extremely soft, but i'm not sure what else. i use coconut oil regularly, but it just sits on top of my hair.

sorry for the long-winded opening (and if i started in the wrong place), but i could really use some starter tips. i have 3c/4b type hair. thanks.

greeny, it is hard to know where to start without basic haircare knowledge as a foundation then the forum can serve to help you fine tune that.

I read a report by Brenda www.blackwomenrejoice.com and a pamphlet from a book by Cathy Howse before finding LHCF. The FAQ page on Cathy's website used to give out most of the info in the book. Having that foundation made sure I didn't feel overwhelmed when I joined the forum. But it served as a reference and because I already understood a lot about hair, I didn't get sucked into every new miracle product cult.

You can get some of general info about hair from The World of Hair courtesy of P&G for starters. That will help you a lot understand the needs of hair in general. Also there is a book by a former LHCFer that many have found useful called "The Science of Black Hair" which will really address our hair specifically. Sistaslick (as we know her on LHCF) the author has a website: http://www.blackhairscience.com/

For now, since Castor oil works for you, no need to be concerned about trying another oil. But you will soon get more self-assured as you learn the basics about hair so that when things are working you stop second guessing yourself and looking for something more.

ETA: You asked where would be the best place to ask your question? Well starting a new thread under Forum Tools perhaps with a subject like "Please Help Me Fine Tune My Regimen" then explaining what you currently do and what you need to know will make your quest for help stand out and therefore be seen by more people.

Last edited:
Thanks Nonie for the references. I'll check them out. I understand the basics of hair care, I'm just stuck in rut at the moment and thought I'd reach out to ask questions first before venturing off again.

I didn't want to start a new thread if something was already out there. Thanks again for the help.

greeny what is the rut due to? Scissor Happy Stylist, breakage, hard water etc? What are your hair properties i.e. fine, coarse, etc? What is your regimen? How do you normally style your hair? Puffs, braids, flat ironed etc? Do you have any damage, such as, color, heat, and/or traction damage?

I would start a thread with all of that information as Nonie recommended. You'll receive a ton of advice, including products and regimen for your hair properties and condition. Don't be shy! It'll be less overwhelming, because all the information will be in one thread tailored to your mane's needs.

greeny what is the rut due to? Scissor Happy Stylist, breakage, hard water etc? What are your hair properties i.e. fine, coarse, etc? What is your regimen? How do you normally style your hair? Puffs, braids, flat ironed etc? Do you have any damage, such as, color, heat, and/or traction damage?

I would start a thread with all of that information as Nonie recommended. You'll receive a ton of advice, including products and regimen for your hair properties and condition. Don't be shy! It'll be less overwhelming, because all the information will be in one thread tailored to your mane's needs.

Thank you! I will start that thread with that info.

Back