Naturals: Another healthy way to color (jet black) besides henna?

PaperClip

So here's what I'm thinking about: I have used henna for the conditioning/protein properties as well as to get my hair a nice black color. However, it's kinda messy. Is there another product that I can use to color my hair (at home) without damage and is less messy? I can get conditioning/protein properties through other products, I'm thinking....

Thanks in advance.

I've seen some black vegetable dyes at the health food stores but I have never tried them...hopefully someone will chime in on this.

try robertcraig.com

his colors have no amonia and no peroxide. my hair feels very conditioned afterwards.

Robert Craig is very similar to Bigen...the ingredients are just about the same. My BSS has a henna cream color. I guess it is a "westernized" or finely milled version of the powder, already mixed. They sell it right next to the regular henna.

I asked my stylist a similar question yesterday. She had no clue, though. :ohwell:

ETA: While I'm talking, I have no idea myself :laugh:, but I'll look out for Robert Craig.

try robertcraig.com

his colors have no amonia and no peroxide. my hair feels very conditioned afterwards.

Oh wow... robertcraig is in Michigan/metro Detroit....

It's permanent color though.... I was thinking that a semi or demi color would be "safer"?

Nicky Clarke's semi permanent hair colour does the trick for me. I use the Liquorice, its great IMO

So what should I use y'all?

I went to the Textures and Tones website and the that looked sorta promising....Specifically the Jazzing in Bluest Black or Radiance Colorgloss in Black....

Some of that stuff had too much mixing in it....

I'm thinking maybe I could ask my mom (she's a hairdresser) to do my color for me..... She used to give me blue/black rinses when I was relaxed....

I use and love Clairol's Natural Instincts in Midnight.....low ammonia/no peroxide, super gentle, semi-permanent, and the conditioner that comes in the box is fabulous! I usually buy mine at Target or Rite Aid for about $7.99.

HTH :)

So what should I use y'all?

I went to the Textures and Tones website and the that looked sorta promising....Specifically the Jazzing in Bluest Black or Radiance Colorgloss in Black....

Some of that stuff had too much mixing in it....

I'm thinking maybe I could ask my mom (she's a hairdresser) to do my color for me..... She used to give me blue/black rinses when I was relaxed....

Texture and Tones makes goods over the counterhair color. It has good reviews here and on mua. Its a permanent color.

The jazzings and radiance collection are semi permanent rinses colors. They will last a couple of shampoo's.

What amount of maintance are you willing to put in to maintaining the color. That will dictate what type of color to use (semi rinse, permanent, demi etc...)

I use and love Clairol's Natural Instincts in Midnight.....low ammonia/no peroxide, super gentle, semi-permanent, and the conditioner that comes in the box is fabulous! I usually buy mine at Target or Rite Aid for about $7.99.

HTH :)

I had good experiences with this brand. Good stuff and Clairol is extremly helpful with information.

Here is the link
Its no ammonia http://www.clairol.com/naturalinstincts/home.jsp

Last edited:
You cannot get jet black from henna. If you buy a henna that is supposed to be "Black" in color.... it probably contains PPD, and its dangerous.

You could try Indigo. I LOVE indigo.

I'm trying Cellophane/ Color Showers that I bought off roundbrushhair.com
I haven't received it yet, but I've been waiting for it because it's been sold out on that website and it's hard to find anywhere else. I let ya'll know how it works out for me when I do my reveal on 1-15-08.

I just got my hair colored with a "water color" at my salon. As soon as I find out what it is I will let you all know. It was just applied to my hair no chemicals and it turned out the way I wanted. Blue Black. I love it, it looks so healthy

Texture and Tones makes goods over the counterhair color. It has good reviews here and on mua. Its a permanent color.

The jazzings and radiance collection are semi permanent rinses colors. They will last a couple of shampoo's.

What amount of maintance are you willing to put in to maintaining the color. That will dictate what type of color to use (semi rinse, permanent, demi etc...)

Well, I do want to cover gray and the henna just wasn't doing it.... So I'm willing to put the time and maintenance in but at the same time not damage my hair....

Well, I do want to cover gray and the henna just wasn't doing it.... So I'm willing to put the time and maintenance in but at the same time not damage my hair....

Well semi permanent won't cover gray. You are going to have to use atleast demi-perm. Natural Instincts is demi perm. Clariol Compliments is also demi-perm and loreal color gems is demi. You can get those two at Sallys and pick up Natural Instincts at walmart.

Textures and Tones is permanent but it is a great forumula. Alot of white people use it too because it has more conditioners in the formula than alot of other colors. IMO your best bets are Textures and Tones or Natural Instincts.

Last edited:
I lighted my hair to a bronze color with texture and tones and it has been good to me for the past year! Until now its just on the last 5 inch of my hair and im DYING to cut it off! It seems sooo much more drier than the rest of my hair! But I have also been using Jazzing on top of my hair and it's AMAZING! I use it everytime before I flat iron my hair and it makes it super soft, shiny, and healthy looking! I have used mood indigo, cherry cola, annnd, fushia plum. I just bought bluest black today so I can post the results after I try it out! When I dye my hair with jazzing I usually sleep in it! LOL :lachen: It last sooo much longer and is soo much more vibrant when I leave it in extra long lol

Ok, I am sitting under the dryer right now waiting for my rollerset to dry...

I just wanted to post and say that I think that PPD may have a bad rep just like silicones and mineral oil does...Why?

Because Textures & Tones has PPD in it :lol: I now believe that it is included in every commercial hair dye (black).

(ETA: I say "bad rep" b/c not everyone has an allergic reaction to PPD. If you do, then you would know it, and probably don't dye your hair anyways. That's why strand test instructions are included in all haircolor packaging...)

And I used this haircolor today. My hair looks and feels AWESOME. I just wish they're 1b was blacker. One of my hair mantras for the '08 is "Bigger and Blacker" :grin:

I followed it up w/my secret weapon (a pro kit from Joico :sekret: ) and so far so GREAT.

RelaxerRehab, as far as aftercare, you may want to use a deep conditioner, since you don't relax, but I think a conditioner that has equal parts protein and parts moisture that you can use with heat would be even more luscious. Hey, why not mix some Aphogee 2min with one of your moisture DCs?

In my "Color-treated (and growing) Support" thread I posted some links for naturals who color, but I don't remember if there was any after-care tips in there or not. Doesn't hurt to check it out, though :)

Last edited:
I spoke to my old stylist about this (she focuses mostly on coloring) and she said that permanently dying your hair black is as bad as dying it blond. Something about the process and the breakdown to deposit such a deep color.

Were you using the indigo mixed with your henna?

Maybe Indigo? I've never used it but I've heard of it being used to give the hair a rich darkness.

Ok, I am sitting under the dryer right now waiting for my rollerset to dry...

I just wanted to post and say that I think that PPD may have a bad rep just like silicones and mineral oil does...Why?

Because Textures & Tones has PPD in it :lol: I now believe that it is included in every commercial hair dye (black).

(ETA: I say "bad rep" b/c not everyone has an allergic reaction to PPD. If you do, then you would know it, and probably don't dye your hair anyways. That's why strand test instructions are included in all haircolor packaging...)

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

Eh... Im not sure if this is true or not, but Ill tell what, even if it is a TINY TEENY chance of the above happening to me.... Im too scared to try it.

Back