Naturals: Another healthy way to color (jet black) besides henna?

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

Eh... Im not sure if this is true or not, but Ill tell what, even if it is a TINY TEENY chance of the above happening to me.... Im too scared to try it.

Um, ok. Eww :nono:

I really feel like that page was created for the shock value. Don't get me wrong, that's clearly an allergic reaction to PPD, but if it's so unequivocally harmful to everyone that uses it, it wouldn't be in so many commercial dyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-Phenylenediamine

It's like people who have allergies to ... strawberries or something. Those who are allergic look at strawberries like :mad: Those who aren't, don't see it that way. So if you are allergic, then henna is for you if you want color. If you aren't then you have more options.

I spoke to my old stylist about this (she focuses mostly on coloring) and she said that permanently dying your hair black is as bad as dying it blond. Something about the process and the breakdown to deposit such a deep color.

Were you using the indigo mixed with your henna?

I wasn't.... I was using the Lush henna....

Well semi permanent won't cover gray. You are going to have to use atleast demi-perm. Natural Instincts is demi perm. Clariol Compliments is also demi-perm and loreal color gems is demi. You can get those two at Sallys and pick up Natural Instincts at walmart.

Textures and Tones is permanent but it is a great forumula. Alot of white people use it too because it has more conditioners in the formula than alot of other colors. IMO your best bets are Textures and Tones or Natural Instincts.

Thanks, gymfreak....

I got the Color Gems today but I'm wondering if I should try the Natural Instincts. I checked out the reviews of Color Gems on makeupalley and the couple of reviews that mentioned that the Blue/Black color said they got a WONDERFUL jet black color but no blue. One person said they think that they left it on too long....

Bumping to share that I used the L'oreal Color Gems demi-permanent color (blue/black) and my hair is a pretty, shiny black (can't see any blue). My hair feels good, too. Not hard or dry. It took very well. The mixing was very easy.

Bumping to share that I used the L'oreal Color Gems demi-permanent color (blue/black) and my hair is a pretty, shiny black (can't see any blue). My hair feels good, too. Not hard or dry. It took very well. The mixing was very easy.

Does the L'oreal Color Gems demi-permanent color have PPD's in it? I've read that people should stear clear of any dye that have PPD in it even though you may not have an allergic reaction one day, one year, or over a period of several years, the PPD devil may rear its ugly head at any given time. I'm looking for a healthy way to cover this gray I have as well.

My hair is Bigen Oriental Black right now. I would like to dye my hair a medium dark brown, using the safest color. Will I have to use a color remover first to get the desired results? What color will my hair be if I dyed it medium dark brown over the Bigen Oriental Black?

probably should have searched this. I see a big NO to Bigen. I guess I'll stick with my boring hair color :(

If anyone ever finds a good permanent black dye let me know!

Back