Naturals and ponytails

• Thread starter Thread starter QT
  • Start date Start date

QT

Hello ladies. I have about 5 inches of hair, just enough to pull in a ponytail however, some of it sticks out. My question is how do you slick it back? Do you use a brush or a comb? I will like a method that will be less stress on my hair. So what is your technique?

i think neither one is good for your hair.both will cause danage even when used in moderation. but if you had to choose one i ould use a wide tooth comb....i NEVER use a brush but , thats just me.:ohwell:

i think neither one is good for your hair.both will cause danage even when used in moderation. but if you had to choose one i ould use a wide tooth comb....i NEVER use a brush but , thats just me.:ohwell:

I'm too dang impatient and lazy all I want to do is slap it in a ponytail and keep it moving. I thought there will be a less damaging technique to slick it down.

i think 5 inches is too short to be bunning or pony tailing it if you are concerned about stress. i think 8 inches+ is more ideal

Typically, I lose NO hair when brushing into a ponytail with the Denman. I use it to get out shed hair about once a week, but when just brushing into a ponytail I have no issues.....but my hair is already detangled well by that point.

ETA: If I am wearing my ponytail out (no wig) then I put a scarf on it for 20 minutes or so (an hour if driving to work) to keep it all smooth.

I was thinking about investing in a denman. do you loose less hair when you use the deman?

Last edited:
i think 5 inches is too short to be bunning or pony tailing it if you are concerned about stress. i think 8 inches+ is more ideal

It depends on how it comes out. When I had 6 inches of hair and would do a ponytail, I'd kinda "fan" out the hair and it would be in a cute puff. It gave the illusion of more hair.

Anyway to answer the OP's question... I brush with a denman, apply gel, then gently brush it back with a regular brush to slick my hair back.

i slick mine back with fantasia ic gel and use my denman brush. i let it dry some and than put a scarf on to keep it smooth during the night.

Detangle first and gather in a ponytail. Then hI have to use a boars brittle brush and for slicking aloe gel,castor oil, coconut and a silk infusion. Otherwise I have hair sticking all out. The boars brush also gives me a sea of waves.

If my hair won't go into the ponytail with my hands it just doesn't go. I can only do two ponytails comfortably and I use my hands.

I just let the naps and the frizz do it's thing. I hate slicking and geling down anything.

I am about to flat twist my hair tomorow into a ponytail and wear my phony pony.

I only ponytail or wet or damp hair.

yeah that seems like the only route to take, if not I will have a thread on to regrow my hair. at what length did you start your ponytails? your length seems like the ideal length to bun.

yeah that seems like the only route to take, if not I will have a thread on to regrow my hair. at what length did you start your ponytails? your length seems like the ideal length to bun.

well my hair has never been too short to do ponytails, even when i was relaxed. now last august i cut my hair, but i could still do a puff, which i adored. so it's growing back now.

I only brush on wet hair. My hair is long enough now that I really don't have to use gel and fuzzy hair is my friend now. It gets fuzzy because I always have my hands in it. I can just wet it, brush with my Goody brush, put it in a puff with a knee hi, put a scarf on it and let it set for about 20 minutes and go. But if I am going out somewhere and don't want to much fuzz/frizz then I will use some Fantasia IC gel. I use the blue kind. In my avatar I used Fantasia gel to slick it back into a high puff.

I only brush on wet hair. My hair is long enough now that I really don't have to use gel and fuzzy hair is my friend now. It gets fuzzy because I always have my hands in it. I can just wet it, brush with my Goody brush, put it in a puff with a knee hi, put a scarf on it and let it set for about 20 minutes and go. But if I am going out somewhere and don't want to much fuzz/frizz then I will use some Fantasia IC gel. I use the blue kind. In my avatar I used Fantasia gel to slick it back into a high puff.

Your puff is too cute!!!!!:yep: The only way I can achieve that is w/ a phony pony. :ohwell:

Yeah I forgot to mention. I only do ponytails after completing a cowash. I brush and gel hair back on wet hair. If you get a good leave in conditioner and apply the gel. Your hair should smooth back with gentle denman brush and using hands.

I'm too dang impatient and lazy all I want to do is slap it in a ponytail and keep it moving. I thought there will be a less damaging technique to slick it down.

You could put gel in your hair, slick it back with your fingers/hands, and then tie it down with a scarf to set it. Take it off just before you are getting ready to leave the house. That might work. Try it on a day that you don't work or have to go anywhere important, to see if it works for you.

Now I am thinking this would work hair that has been detangled already, without the extra added step of using a comb/brush on your edges.

HTH

I only have 4ish inches, but I use castor oil and a little brushing then I smooth it back with a kneehigh & a headband. I use the IC Fantasia Gel or ICE when I want it slicker in the front.

You can do head band puff to reduce stress. You can use bobby pins. Pokahontas used a small toothbrush lightly on the edges. I use a fine boar brush on wet hair with a little almond glaze around the edges. I do have a little thinning on the side where I used to part my hair (the same place for years) but it's not bad. I've had that for years. I haven't notice thinning anywhere else along the hairline. Just don't pull or brush too tightly.

I normally only use a comb/brush to put my hair in a pony after poo'ing. I add my leave-ins and oils in for the detangling process, comb through with a wide tooth comb, add some elasta qp mango butter for my edges, and lightly brush it into a pony with a paddle brush. I tie a scarf on, let it dry like that overnight. Once I wake up, my hair is smooth, and laid down. I ONLY brush/comb on wash days. The rest of the week I use my HANDS (because I take my hair down at night to let it breathe, as well as to apply oils, and do my scalp massages & moisturize etc) to grip my hair into a pony, and my hair looks just as good on those days as it does on the wash day! The key for me is getting the hair detangled, and moisturized really well on wash day! HTH

I don't know how much hair I have now but I'm still doing puffs. I think I'll wait till I have APL to wear a pony.

I don't know how much hair I have now but I'm still doing puffs. I think I'll wait till I have APL to wear a pony.

Why is it because you dont care for products on your hair to slick your hair back?

This is necessarily true... I started doing ponytails around 6 inches.
I usually, use a denman brush and a regular brush. I have not suffered any damage.

Back