naturals and curlies: how do you make your bun?

inthepink

I would like to wear some buns with the winter to keep my ends protected but I have no idea how to make one with my curly hair. Anyone have any tips to share on creating a bun with natural or curly hair that is a little below shoulder length in back?

Hey Hairlove /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread cuz I need to find out "how to" also /images/graemlins/cool.gif !

I used to pull it back with a scrunchie, then braid it tuck the ends in, and then put another scrunchie on top of that.

the trick is to braid it other you have bits sticking out all over the place..i do anyway

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I detangle carefully in the shower with conditioner and then put a little more conditoner on when I get out the shower, plus whatever oil I want to use. Then detangle again just to be sure, from ends to roots, with my paddle brush. Next I put some clear gel on my hair and smooth it down with my hands. By this time my hair is just damp, so I also brush with my boar brush to further smooth, but not too much. Then I put either a non-damamging band or a scrunchie on and either add a bun donut and wrap my hair around that, or I twist or braid and tuck. I always oil the ends well before tucking them away. When I'm done I tie my hair down with either a scarf or stocking cap to keep it smooth while I dress. If I do this at night, I do everything except the scrunchie. At night I just braid and tuck and pop on a satin bonnet. In the morning I just mist my hair, add some oil and gel and then proceed to finsh off the bun. I wish I had bun pics, but I don't. HTH!

First I smooth all my hair to the back with AVG or if my hair is already wet, I'll use some type of creamy moisturizer. Next, I begin gathering and twisting my hair and then I just start pinning my hair into a "bun" with bobby/hair pins. I never make a bun by putting my hair in a ponytail first because I like my buns loose and easy to take down by just removing 3 or 4 hair pins.

I shampoo or conditioner wash and I detangle my hair while its conditioning. After I rinse in the shower I add some leave-in and add creamy moisturizer to my ends. I then brush my hair back into a ponytail, and with the loose end of the ponytail I twist it into a bun and pin. I then smooth gel to the top, back and sides and brush with my boar bristle brush(sometimes i put the gel along with my leave ins and moisturizers before doing the ponytail). Lastly I tie a scarf for 10 minutes to help it set. I sleep with a scarf nightly and my bun can stay neat up a week If i dont mess with it too much.

After getting out of the shower, I immediately pull my hair back with a scrunchie---using the products that I use. I then finish putting my clothes on so that the hair can airdry a little bit. Then I make one fat twist with the hair and then tuck it under and pin it.

I do what model_chick does. It's super simple for me!

I don't use oil, but maybe a leave-in conditioner topped off with a bit of gel after I get out of the shower. I usually have already detangled my hair in the shower, so I don't have to recomb it when I get out.

I'm bumping this thread because it's getting into cold weather and I think I might start trying to wear a bun too.
Has anybody tried making a bun with one of those foam donut thingies? I recall a long time ago somebody had posted how to make a bun by using a length of braided synthetic hair as a donut. This might be good if you want a larger-looking bun. Don't quite remember who it was who posted it though.

jetcitygirl, I believe that was dontspeakdefeat.

I think I may be making my bun with a bun donut without the extra hair though. It makes a fuller neater bun for me.

Just yesterday, I went out & purchased the bun donut & sum hair. I'm gonna use DSD's technique /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Where do you purchase bun donuts from? I ordered a whirl-a-styler online to make a bun and it does not work for me! So dispointed since one styler and 3 VERY SMALL mini stylers cost $18 [shipping of course].

Lanelle - I have purchased a foam bun donut from Sally's before but they are hard to find. I have never used it though.
I usually use my homemade bun donut. I created it by taking a sock and cutting out the toe. Then rolling the sock into a bun shape. Then I take a pair of black kneehighs and cut out the toe. Then roll this around the sock donut so my hair is protected from the cotton.

Back