Naturals and Ayurvedic!!!

ScandalousBeauty

I decided to go ahead and start this bad boy because I know a lot of us have questions and/or comments about all of this. Especially since this can dry your hair out when using certain products. We ALL know how moisture can be for us. Are any of you trying this??? It's all natural, so I figure it will be a great asset to our hair!

This is my first day with all of this, but here is my proposed regimen..

1. Pre-poo of Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Alma Oil.
2. Wash hair with Shikaki Bar
3. Rinse Hair with this concoction, let set for 30 mins-1 hour

1 tsp. Amla,
1 tsp.Aritha,
1 tsp.Neem
1 tsp. Shikaki
2 Cups Water

4.Apply DC
5.Rinse, Apply Water/Glycerine Spritz, And Coconut Oil
6.Airdry

I never knew there was a specific name for all this...Ayurvedic.
I have been using amla and vatika oils since 2005-2006. I guess that is part of the Ayurvedic method? I'm going to get one of the shampoo bars then I'll try and come up with a newer regimen...stay tuned.

I decided to go ahead and start this bad boy because I know a lot of us have questions and/or comments about all of this. Especially since this can dry your hair out when using certain products. We ALL know how moisture can be for us. Are any of you trying this??? It's all natural, so I figure it will be a great asset to our hair!

This is my first day with all of this, but here is my proposed regimen..

2. Wash hair with Shikaki Bar

1 tsp. Amla,
1 tsp.Aritha,
1 tsp.Neem
1 tsp. Shikaki
2 Cups Water

4.Apply DC
5.Rinse, Apply Water/Glycerine Spritz, And Coconut Oil
6.Airdry

thanks for sharing LMC! How did it work for you?

not natural all over.... am texlaxed in some places

I clarified earlier today when i realized its basically the 1st of the month...

I currently have a paste of fenugreek powder, tulsi powder & EVOO that I mixed with boiling water

Gonna leave it in while I take my nap before work ( about 3 hours... likely will only leave pastes on for 1 hour but today Im sleepy)

when I get up for work, I will shower & rinse out paste thoroughly... will follow up with a DC mix of Cholesterol w/ EVOO... will cover that with plastic cap & scarf until I get to work ( will hardly be anyone in the office tonight) where I will rinse out...

I planned to do a flexi-rod set but Ive gotten no rest today so I will likely flat twist for a twistout

I plan to do pastes of this or similar types once a week... otherwise during the week I do tea rinses followed by co-washes with frequent pre-poos of mustard oil

Well, I have been using Vatika and alma oil for bagging, vatika shampoo and Shikaki Bar for cleaning, shikaki oil for prepooing, and henna. I can honestly say that I feel that my hair is healthier. My coils are popping.

Im don't consider myself Ayurvedic but Ive benefited greatly from using natural oils in my hair. I love coconut oil, Evoo, shea butter, and I can't live without my sweet almond oil. SAO has been a savior for my dry hair. I'm thinking about switching to a natural shampoo. I'm not sure if I can leave my Pantene R&N though:look:

I like to experiment with different herbs and oils too. I am trying Fenugreek among other things. Some of my staple products already have alma other goodies in them.:yep:

I use three products that are considered Ayuvedic:

Neem oil (stinky stuff) ~ I haven't used in the last few months. But I used to used it in my weekly deep conditioner. I'll start using it again once the urge arise.

Henna (love this) ~ I use once every 5+ weeks.

Alma oil (I make my own) ~ I use the oil and the dregs (the waste powder that you usually throw away after pouring off the oil). I mixed the alma dregs with henna and the results are wonderful.

These I love the results I get from using alma and henna on my hair. These are definately keepers :yep:.

It went well! My curls were definitely more defined than usual. It was really time consuming, but I am guessing that it was because it was my first time.

I took all of my powders and mixed them in an airtight container. I really don't want to have to individually mix in each powder. I used the powders as a rinse, using 4 tsps of the powder "cocktail" and boiling for 15 minutes in 2 cups of water.

I may create a pre-poo/hot oil treatment with the powders as well. I'm just going to check out everyone else's regimens and then alter mine if I don't see any results.
thanks for sharing LMC! How did it work for you?

I recently washed my hair with a shikakai bar after an oil rinse (alma, vatika, brahmi) and I didn't even have to use conditioner afterwards. My hair was just that soft. My curls were super defined and stayed moisturized ALL DAY. These products are definitely keepers plus their relatively cheap :yep:

^^I used a shikakia bar after doing a henna treatment and I didn't have to used conditioner either. This surprised me because everyone says that henna really dry their hair out. There are cheap and a little goes a long way.

I need to get on this oil rinsing business...especially with coconut, jojoba, etc.

I recently washed my hair with a shikakai bar after an oil rinse (alma, vatika, brahmi) and I didn't even have to use conditioner afterwards. My hair was just that soft. My curls were super defined and stayed moisturized ALL DAY. These products are definitely keepers plus their relatively cheap :yep:

Okay, so I followed the whole trial regimen of mine, here are the results.

2. Wash hair with Shikaki Bar (This smells like somebody's grandma's house. Not fond of the smell, but I could tell that is was thoroughly cleaning my hair. )

1 tsp. Amla,
1 tsp.Aritha,
1 tsp.Neem
1 tsp. Shikaki
2 Cups Water
(When I bought all of the powders, I opened them all, mixed them and put them in an airtight container. I don't feel like individually measuring each one. I am going to go outside and sift them tomorrow. I boiled 2 cups of water, then added the 4 tsps of powders, then let that boil for about 15 mins. It was lukewarm when I used it. I may premix a spraybottle of this so I can keep it by the shower.)
4.Apply DC (I used Mizani MoistureFuse :notworthy)
5.Rinse, Apply Water/Glycerine Spritz, And Castor Oil
6.Air dry

Now that my hair is air drying, it is extremely soft and luscious! I CAN'T STOP TOUCHING IT! Definitely a plus for me! I don't think there is any odor from the powders and shampoo. I also think that this made my curl pattern a bit more defined. I didn't use any curling aides. My hair normally doesn't coil up this much without using a curling gel, cream, etc. This is only my first time, but I am very pleased! It was more time consuming than I had hoped, but I will probably speed it up after I work out all of the kinks. So far, I am very pleased!

My siggy speaks volumes: "I love Ayurvedic products" and it's true. I've been using amla, shikakai, aritha, neem, henna (powders), ghee and coconut oil on my hair since last year and it's really made a difference on how my hair looks and feels.
-I usually prepoo with ghee and coconut overnight with my hair in fatty twists.
- To wash, I use my tea mixture which consists of amla, shikakai, aritha, neem and will sometimes add a few drops of rosemary oil.
- DC and then airdry.

Yes, it can be a bit time consuming but the results are well worth it. :grin::grin:

I keep forgetting to pre-oil my hair the night before. That's a vital step right? I have a mix of Amla and Coconut oil that I made.

My siggy speaks volumes: "I love Ayurvedic products" and it's true. I've been using amla, shikakai, aritha, neem, henna (powders), ghee and coconut oil on my hair since last year and it's really made a difference on how my hair looks and feels.
-I usually prepoo with ghee and coconut overnight with my hair in fatty twists.
- To wash, I use my tea mixture which consists of amla, shikakai, aritha, neem and will sometimes add a few drops of rosemary oil.
- DC and then airdry.

Yes, it can be a bit time consuming but the results are well worth it. :grin::grin:

My routine:

*Friday nights I do an overnight prepoo w/EOs(sage, thyme, basil & peppermint - soon to add rosemary), Vatika, aloe vera & also soon to add Jamaican Black Castor Oil - sometimes I add EVOO, too.

*Saturday is wash day - I alternate weekly w/my GroAut poos & my shikakai poo bar. Sometimes I put Apretadora on & massage it in for a good 15 mins before I wash my hair. This is some good stuff. I then do an herbal rinse w/Ayurvedic herbs (right now I have Kalpi Tone, Tulsi & Brahmi). After I rinse the herb tea, I DC (right now I'm using cheapie Pantene Hydrating Curls Mask mixed w/olive oil & SAA). DC is done w/ or w/o heat, depending on how I'm feeling. After I rinse the DC, I put more DC & do somewhat of a reg cond. I rinse that & do an oil rinse w/coconut oil. When I get out of the shower I put some Giovanni Direct & GroAut leave-ins in & then work my ghee mix (ghee, Vatika & Avococo creme) in from root to ends, concentrating on the ends & I braid my hair in 8 cornrows.

* Sundays, Tuesdays & Thursdays I oil my scalp w/the GroAut oils.

* Mondays & Wednesdays I do a Vatika prepoo & a jojoba oil scalp treatment under a baggy for a few hours. I rinse that & co-wash w/a cheapie cond (concentrating on my scalp). After I rinse the cond, I do an oil rinse & baggy for an overnight moisture treatment.

I spray my scalp twice daily w/Surge doing 2 weeks on & 2 weeks off so I don't have any more scalp mishaps.

Every 2-3 weeks I clarify w/baking soda & an ACV/Sage oil rinse.

Every 2 months I do an Aphogee protein treatment (the discontinued one).

This is prettymuch my routine - as u can see it's not all Ayurvedic. B/c of a recent thread here I did mix some Shikakai powder n2 my conditioner this past Wednesday - I used that for my co-wash.

W/me keeping my hair in cornrows during the week, it's hard to rinse all of the powders out. That's my only complaint about the powders. However, I do know that the Ayurvedic products that I do use have helped me tremendously - healthwise & lengthwise.

Also, I always DC after doing a rinse w/the powders b/c it does leave my hair feeling dry.

Last edited:

This is what i find when I use , ayurveda eliminates the need for commercial products and conditioners..its amazing. Pure habit has me reaching for conditioner but I could survive without it.

Back