Naturals... a comb attachment or a brush?

What do you use to straighten?

• Paddle brush

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Other brush

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Comb attachment

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • Other (please state what this is!)

Votes: 10 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

changedname

What do you usually use to straighten? Which is better?

I've heard some people say that the comb attachment rips hair out but others say that the paddle brush doesn't work well on type 4a/b hair.

I'd really love to add a poll with this post but I don't know how to!

Last edited:
I am not 100% natural but have 26 months of new growth and have used a paddle brush to smooth my hair out before I flatiron. There's a pic in my transitioning folder that shows my hair before and after it's blown out. I don't heat straighten or straighten at all often but my last two or three length checks involved me blowing out my hair with a paddlebrush and some heat protectant. Hope this helps :)

I dont use either. I use the tension method, my hair is very fine so I lose a lot of hair with the brush/comb so the tension method is a happy medium :afro:

I prefer the tension method however, second to that I use a paddle brush for my 4b hair.

For me it was something a bit like this:

image.php

There is no one general answer - even for type 4 hair it depends on the individual head. Get a round brush, put it in your hair and try to pull it out. If you can do that - then the round brush technique (i.e. like the Dominicans do) will work for you. If you can't get a brush through your hair then you need a comb attachment. If you don't have a comb attachment you can improv with one of those paddle brushes with the tipped teeth - they have ceramic ones in all the stores now that are supposed to facilitate smoother drying.

Neither. I use a bone comb to part out a narrow section of the hair beforehand, then use my fingers to stretch it as I pass a flat iron over it. Gets my hair straight enough to my liking.
flatironthroughhaironemoretime-vi.jpg

Man, I tried to use a round brush on my hair once and my hair nearly attacked me. UH UH, it's the comb attachment for me. I actually use the one that DSD uses. It's the Willie Morrow comb attachment. Works great and doesn't break!

paddle brush and bone comb.

My hair does not agree with my chi rocket's comb attachment

Man, I tried to use a round brush on my hair once and my hair nearly attacked me. UH UH, it's the comb attachment for me. I actually use the one that DSD uses. It's the Willie Morrow comb attachment. Works great and doesn't break!

I've been using the Tension Method lately on COOL b/c I am scared of brushes, combs, etc ..... but if I do get a comb attachment I want to try this Willie Morrow one b/c it's supposedly adjustable so it can attach to most blow dryers and it's made of sturdy hard rubber as opposed to plastic which is better for the hair

http://www.folica.com/tools/accessories/solano-willie-morrow-blow-dry-nozzle

I've been using the Tension Method lately on COOL b/c I am scared of brushes, combs, etc ..... but if I do get a comb attachment I want to try this Willie Morrow one b/c it's supposedly adjustable so it can attach to most blow dryers and it's made of sturdy hard rubber as opposed to plastic which is better for the hair

http://www.folica.com/tools/accessories/solano-willie-morrow-blow-dry-nozzle

Yes! I do love this comb. I got mine from ebay (it is much more economical on there!:yep:) It does come w/ some things that make it adjustable, but I had to do some special ops maneuvers in order to get it on mine (i.e. I just had to use some duct tape to rig it on mine). My blowdryer has turbo jets on the side so it makes it hard to attach anything onto it. I also did NOT use the metal piece that comes with it. Anything metal that close to my hair scares me. Otherwise it is a good investment :) HTH

I usually just use my fingers when blow-drying. I grab the hair in the middle (close to the ends) and run my fingers through while lightly pulling the hair as the dryer follows. Then I repeat starting from the roots and I will hold it taut for a moment until its dry enough.

I've used a wide-tooth comb sometimes too, but normally my fingers work just fine. That way I can stop when I feel snags/tangles and detangle myself if need be as I go along. I can't imagine using a brush of any sort unless I hold it at the ends only and use it to hold the hair taut.

Lately I've been using a round brush. The tension gets my hair pretty straight without much manipulation.

Back