Natural type 4s with medium length?

NubianAngel

My hair is in between right now
mad.gif
, so I decided to start a little poll. Is there anyone out there with type 4 natural hair that is too long for a twa but not as long as you would like it at the moment?
What are you actively doing to retain length and keep your hair healthy, soft and moisturized?
What are your immediate goals for this year, and what products or techniques are you using to get there?

As for me, my hair is chin length in the front and gradually gets to a bit past my shoulders in the back. (I just realized how long my head is
lachen70.gif
) I am going back to conditioner washes using Elucence moisture balancing, and I use Surge 14. I deep condition with Aubrey GPB and use Kemi oyl pomade after washing. I am hoping that no direct heat, drinking plenty of water and taking my vits consistently will get me to my goal for this year, but I really want to see results and be able to wear my bun with ease again by fall.

As for summer styles I am still deciding....

Yep I'm right here with you. I'd made it to a few inches past my shoulders but now I'm back to just barely grazing them. My hair has gone through some crazy changes lately but I'm hoping I'm finally getting it back into a healthier state. I'm thinking of trying to do the baggie method with an afro ponytail with daily conditioner washes for the summer.

I think my hair is about medium length. To retain length, I've just been wearing 2-strand twists, leaving them alone, and avoiding heat like the plague. I just spray a little Better Braids braid spray in the mornings, and let them hang down.

I'm also no-pooing. I've been cleaning my scalp by dipping a wash cloth into a bowl of diluted ACV, and rubbing in circular motions under & between each twist (this has really worked miracles on my flakey scalp problem). Then rinse, squish VO5 or Suave conditioner into the twists, and rinse again. Then re-twist if they're too fuzzy.

I'm doing the 12 inches in year challenge, and still taking vitamins, so I hope to retain every bit of length that grows out of my head for the next 6 months.

Thank you for replying. It sounds like you know what I'm going through, so now I know who to come to and if you ladies need any support i'm right here
smile.gif

The baggie technique with an afro puff does sound intriguing
scratchchin.gif
I was considering doing that as well until I wear buns again, but unfortunately I have a low cash flow prob right now, so I can't "buy" my puff
laugh.gif
I just no poo-d my hair last night and it was so invigorating. I just thank heavens i've discovered the denman, too
smirk.gif

For anyone else doing CO washes, what conditioner are you using?

Yes I'm in that annoying in between stage. My length goals are in my signature.

I am retaining just about all of my growth by wearing twists almost 100% of the time. I keep my twists in for one month but will clean my scalp and rinse them if I feel they are getting dirty. I spray water and Hot 6 Oil every day. The one thing I do need to work on is to stop pulling a twist every day to see if my hair has grown
laugh.gif
. I'm taking baby steps by only measuring my hair every two months...The next date is July 25th.

My staple conditioners include:

1. Aubrey GPB (massive slip!)
2. Aubrey Island Naturals
3. Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal

Very soon I will be trying Nexxus Headress as a leave-in. I was going through my mom's hair cabinet (which I like to call a mini beauty supply store) and found some there.

My vitamin regimen is also in my signature.

HTH.

-Ebony

NubianAngel, I live by the phonytail. Sometimes with the baggie. It's the best alternative. Keeping checking your local beauty supply for sales. I bought mine for $10-$15 dollars.

The phonytail/baggie method allows me to CO wash at night. After I wash (and add any other products), I finger comb or brush into a bun, add clips to the shorter parts and tie my hair in a silk scarf. This sets my hair.

As for a daily conditioner, I use VO5 Hydrators (nice and cheap) or Fructis. They don't seem to over condition and detangle fairly well.

ETA:
I'm transitioning and have some areas that still have relaxer.

[ QUOTE ]
Divastate said:
Yep I'm right here with you. I'd made it to a few inches past my shoulders but now I'm back to just barely grazing them. My hair has gone through some crazy changes lately but I'm hoping I'm finally getting it back into a healthier state. I'm thinking of trying to do the baggie method with an afro ponytail with daily conditioner washes for the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair is gorgeous! I love your album especially the pics with your son, just precious.

My hair is definitely not where I want it. My goal for this year is to reach bra-strap length.

I am using Elucence MB conditioner for CW and as a leave-in. I'm not consistent with CW but I try to CW at least twice a week. I wear my hair in a bun for the most part. I will wear twists or braids every once in a while.

I add oil on top of the leave-in.

I do a deep conditioner the first of every month using Tigi Chocolate Head or a aloe vera cholesterol treatment.

I am trying to increase my water and no trims (I haven't trimmed my hair since last August).

Other than that , I am letting nature take it's course. I hope to reached bra-strap by December or at the latest next March.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
OnceUponAtime said:
NubianAngel, I live by the phonytail. Sometimes with the baggie. It's the best alternative. Keeping checking your local beauty supply for sales. I bought mine for $10-$15 dollars.

The phonytail/baggie method allows me to CO wash at night. After I wash (and add any other products), I finger comb or brush into a bun, add clips to the shorter parts and tie my hair in a silk scarf. This sets my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for these instructions! I love the way your phonytail looks - its an excellent match with your own waves and curls. And thanks for the compliment on my hair I'm blushing
blush.gif

Ebony I wish I knew how to twist my hair but no matter how hard I try they turn out looking like limp scraggly pieces of spaghetti
laugh.gif
I also want more thickness in my hair so twists would look full and thick.

Misskeyana I've been admiring your hair for some time now and no its not short- its so thick and lush and the shine you have is just to die for.

NGC I'll be cheering you on to make that brastrap goal- as fast as your hair grows I know you can do it
weird.gif

Right now I've been using Cantu SheaMoisture conditioner as well as LUST. I'm a conditioner junkie so I've been toning it down a bit and trying out more hot oil treatments with EVOO, melted shea butter, almond oil and avocado oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Misskeyana I've been admiring your hair for some time now and no its not short- its so thick and lush and the shine you have is just to die for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto and i'm so jealous of your smile
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Divastate said:
[ QUOTE ]
OnceUponAtime said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for these instructions! I love the way your phonytail looks - its an excellent match with your own waves and curls. And thanks for the compliment on my hair I'm blushing
blush.gif

Ebony I wish I knew how to twist my hair but no matter how hard I try they turn out looking like limp scraggly pieces of spaghetti
laugh.gif
I also want more thickness in my hair so twists would look full and thick.

NGC I'll be cheering you on to make that brastrap goal- as fast as your hair grows I know you can do it
weird.gif

Right now I've been using Cantu SheaMoisture conditioner as well as LUST. I'm a conditioner junkie so I've been toning it down a bit and trying out more hot oil treatments with EVOO, melted shea butter, almond oil and avocado oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl - thank ya!
grin.gif
I can't wait 'til I'm there.

Hey NubianAngel!
wave.gif

My hair is about the same length as yours, and I can't WAIT for more length.

I'm retaining/hopefully growing more length by wearing protective styles throughout the week and wearing my hair out (with aloe vera gelly in it) during the weekend to give it a breather and to let it enjoy the sun.
beach.gif

I've started with my plan of action to get back to regular deep conditionings like I did when I only had 4-6 inches of hair last August to gain some more length.
smile.gif
I'm gonna use Aveda deep penetrating revitalizer for that (maybe switching e'ry once in awhile with something cheaper that has no mineral oil or petroleum) and stick to my current regimen.
grin.gif
With my old regimen, that worked, I would deep condition once a week, but I feel like I have some damage, so I'll probably be deep conditioning twice a week; Sunday and Wednesday.
brainy.gif
Yeah, I think that's right.
laugh.gif

I wear buns and sometimes just a simple french braid as protective styles, like in my length pics http://photos.yahoo.com/lavendertalkingmoon/ . No weaves, no heat, just keeping it simple. Occasionally, I'll wear two strand twists, but they take too much time and I'm lazy.
bath.gif
laugh.gif

Good luck to all the natural ladies on the grow ! ! !
weird.gif

Yes! I'm in that irritating medium length stage! I moisturize my hair 2x daily with pure coconut oil (I love this stuff!) and shampoo, condition and deep condition once a week. (Right now, I'm stuck on Kenra products!
grin.gif
) I'm currently using Capilong every night and I twist my hair every night before I go to bed and tie my hair up with a satin scarf.

My hair has grown, but I will not measure it again until I'm done with Phase 2 of Capilong. Then I'll start using Surge 14. I'm going to get tree braids whenever my hair gets here!My goal is to have healthy, bra-strap natural hair! It can happen!!!
smile.gif

Capilong is a hair growth product that is supposed to double your growth rate per month. So, if your normal growth rate is 1/2 inch per month, it'll double. It comes in 2 Phases. It's in an applicator bottle and it's a watery substance that you apply directly to your scalp daily.

wave.gif
I notice that my hair is not really growing well without extra help, am not taking my vitamins like I should be and I really need to, am medium lenght. few inchs pass my shoulders, in the back, in the front am chin lenght. I have biotin MSN and lysine which I dont take.

Right now my hair is in a bun, it sheds less in a bun then it does in braids. So am tyring to last 1 month with a bun leaving my hair alone. Am doing no heat, summer grow out , braid
look.gif
Stinky hydro challenge. I spray my hair daily or when I can remember, am going to add some excerise and massages, Am tired of eating eggs and I cant take vitamins
frown.gif
for me its just keeping things simple, and trying to motivate myself to take my vitamins and excerise because I know that things do work, and if I stick with it I can have half my goal before the year is over I hope. I will not say my hair goal because am not a realistic person
ohwell.gif

Another medium length over here. It is a little fustrating. Right now since today is the first day of summer, I will drink mmore water and start taking my vitamins again and keep my ends tucked away so the heat and dry air won't split them. I am praying for 3 more inches by 12/31/04.

I wasn't sure if i should post here but considering the past few entries, I am definitely a part of this club!

My hair is medium-length and therefore, not as long as I want it just yet. (It's about 2 inches past collarbone in front and about bra-strap in the back).

I am trying to keep my hair moisturized, but I am going to put my hair in braids so i can keep my hands out of it- heck, already I have applied sever heat twice in the past week in an attempt to straighten it
crazy.gif
(I know, silly rabbit- straightening is not for summer. But I was just doing it to see how far I'd come/how long it was. Tne first time it reverted before i had done my whole head)

So anyway, I'm sticking with my vitamins, keeping hydrated, staying away from heat...from now on, doing some damage control and strengthening/treating/deep conditioning my hair, etc.

I'm at 7.25-10.5" (depending on the area of my head). I'm making my regimen as simple as possible - very similar to Ipanema's. I wear twists for two weeks, retwisting spots as needed. I don't actually spray anything on my hair on a daily basis except the occasional spritz of my rosemary-water mix to the flakey areas of my scalp. When I take my twists down, I rock a twistout for a few hours (I could wear it for a couple of days but I'm too impatient to wait because I love washing my hair
smile.gif
). I apply a thick conditioner in the shower post-washing, and then I use my denman knockoff to detangle. It becomes pretty easy to detangle at this point. I put my hair in two buns to dry to damp and then I retwist.

I've been drinking lots of water, I generally eat healthy, and just being as low maintenance as possible. And I must say it's paying off. My twists look prettier each time I retwist (if I do say so myself
laugh.gif
). I band them whenever I want to show off length - this leaves me with 75% (estimate) of my length visible which is great to me. In general I'd say things are going really well with my in-between hair. My only issue is trying to minimize the breakage I get at the ends as I'm twisting. My ends tend to dry up as I twist and this leads to them snapping off
frown.gif

I guess that that is my hair...

A little past my shoulder when straightened... I try not to think of it anymore so that I won't get impatient.

Stretched out my hair is just past my shoulders and I have put it in kinky extensions for the last two weeks now, I am rinsing and surging my hair daily. I shall be taking it out by the ending of July. Hopefully I will get a lot of growth. One person told me that her hair was medium length for a long time and then after awhile it is now mid back.

Well, I did a stretch last night and I was pleasantly surprised! To inbetween my lips in the front and past my shoulders in the back! Wow!

Well, I've been wearing the puffs a little too much and my ends feel a little rough. I'm going to put it away for a while...(sigh) I've been inspired by Carefree's plaits so I will be putting some in today!

[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:
Well, I did a stretch last night and I was pleasantly surprised! To inbetween my lips in the front and past my shoulders in the back! Wow!

Well, I've been wearing the puffs a little too much and my ends feel a little rough. I'm going to put it away for a while...(sigh) I've been inspired by Carefree's plaits so I will be putting some in today!

[/ QUOTE ]

I strecth my hair and it reach pass shoulder lenght, front pass my chin. but I dont think if I ever pressed it out it would be that long
confused.gif

Back